Brendan Rodgers ready to 'launch bid' for Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I don't see what our "record" of poor fees has do with anything. Has this present board had a sellable asset on their hands?

They got 3 mill for Windass…..

58 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Fair enough but all business was under different stewardship. I'd rather judge them on what they actually do as opposed to comparing them to previous regimes 

If the club were to get 15M for Morelos, a player who was bought for 1M a couple of years ago that would be fairly spectacular business.... I reckon we need to try for as high a sell-on % as possible because his next move could be for silly money.

In relation to the Dembele deal, I reckon Celtic set that up in such a way that the overall cost to them in terms of signing-on fee, wage level and probable percentage of final deal to MD&Co (19.8M) would make their net financial benefit very close to or even LESS than what we would get with a 15M fee.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Given his disciplinary issues, the fact he plays in a crap league and still hasn't scored against the only other 'big' side and our (poor) record of getting good fees, I'd expect him to go for around £12-15m.

Morelos didn't have a disciplinary record prior to joining Rangers, much the same as Jack!

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

Morelos didn't have a disciplinary record prior to joining Rangers, much the same as Jack!

For anyone to try and pretend he doesn't have a disciplinary issue and it's all down to the Scottish officials would be engaging in partisan paranoia. Think back to Ufa and what that could have cost us. Apart from that, all the reds have come against the same team and ironically, a suspension accrued against other teams meant missing an Aberdeen game.

On the other hand it would be fair to say the coverage, both amount and slant from certain media outlets isn't even close to being balanced. 

One thing that seldom gets mentioned is that he seems made of rock and never seems to get injured. This has meant he stll misses relatively few games despite the various suspensions.

Comfortably topping the disciplinary league table with 21 points while the closest behind him in second place is Motherwell's Carl McHugh with 11 points.

yellow = 1 point

Second yellow = 3 points

red = 5 points

Morelos has 24 league appearances accumulating 8 yellow cards, one second yellow, and two reds.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

One thing that seldom gets mentioned is that he seems made of rock and never seems to get injured. 

That's something I noticed too and something that should be a factor in any transfer fee.

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That's something I noticed too and something that should be a factor in any transfer fee.

Continuing the comparison with Dembele........ I don't think the French forward missed a minute of league football because of suspension (ie. no disciplinary issue) BUT he did miss a lot of minutes because of injury.

In the two full seasons he was in Glasgow he played 3363 minutes in the league of the 6840 possible (scoring 26 goals and 12 assists)

Alfredo in two full seasons (less 10 fixtures still to play) has played 4415 minutes in the league of 5940 possible (scoring 30 goals and 10 assists)

stats: soccerway

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/alfredo-jose-morelo-avilez/290501/

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/moussa-dembele/289781/

Going back to your observation.

A club doing it's due diligence will see value in the high availability rate of Morelos.

It's arguably easier to deal with a disciplinary issue than a hamstring and the latter will cost you more in availability.

For us, it has to be noted that the suspensions have cost us dear and if the 9 men of Ufa hadn't have defended like heroes, the issue would have cost any profit we'd have made on player trading with the Columbian. On the other hand, without the away goal he scored in Osijek we may not have got to Ufa.

Edited by buster.