Suggestions for a better match day experience/atmosphere

Apologies in advance if this has been done before but in the light of all the negative stories of in appropriate chants/behaviour in football in general over the last few weeks, I thought it would be good to look at the flip side and the potential positives that could come from this. It would be interesting to hear from fellow Bears about what 3 suggestions/additions you could make to the overall match day experience/atmosphere. It might be something you have seen on your travels at another football stadium or sports ground. It might be something we already do that you feel could be improved upon. Anyhoo, here's my 3...

1. One from my travels. I've always wanted to visit Dortmunds stadium and I finally got the chance a few years back to see the Yellow Wall in action during a Bundesliga game. It was amazing to see it action and it made me think if something like this could be generated at Ibrox. Imagine a " blue wall" at the Copeland Rd end inspiring the team when they were shooting into that end. It would simply be based on colour, spectacle and non-political noise and would help make the whole experience inclusive.

2. More interaction between the club and fans to celebrate our footballing history. Be it famous players, managers or honours we have a rich and glittering history to tap into and it would be good if the club could help initiate special fan days. ie. John Greig day, Laudrup day, International Players day etc.

3. We desperately need a new playlist before games. As much as Simply The Best has become an "anthem", personally speaking I bloody hate it because I hate that song. I don't want to hear Tina Tuna before a football game. I'm not sure what you use? Nothing political but a crowd pleaser?

Would be really interested to hear other suggestions 

Introducing caveats like "non-political" is going to reduce the atmosphere, not improve it.

We get ex-players coming on at half time, and I find it boring. Inane platitudes aren't that interesting. perhaps pre-recorded interviews shown on the screen could be interesting, but the downsides are that no everyone can see the screens and the sound quality is usually bad.

I'd agree on Simply the Best. If I was a fan of it then it was during NIAR. We've moved on and it's aged badly.

Safe standing would certainly improve the atmosphere, but we should keep the pros and cons on that to the other thread.

I see Man Utd have allocated 1,200 seats to an "atmosphere section". I guess the club could do that for BF1 and BF2, but it happens already.

Perhaps more needs to be done in the Broomloan. Move the family section to, say, the Club Deck if possible and encourage those who want to sing to go to the Broomloan. The Copland has a lot of long terms occupants and using it would just create a lot of bad feeling, and potentially lose fans.

Other things to improve the match day experience would be to get decent wifi and improve the food. The quality in the vans outside is so much better and far cheaper.

18 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Introducing caveats like "non-political" is going to reduce the atmosphere, not improve it.

We get ex-players coming on at half time, and I find it boring. Inane platitudes aren't that interesting. perhaps pre-recorded interviews shown on the screen could be interesting, but the downsides are that no everyone can see the screens and the sound quality is usually bad.

I'd agree on Simply the Best. If I was a fan of it then it was during NIAR. We've moved on and it's aged badly.

Safe standing would certainly improve the atmosphere, but we should keep the pros and cons on that to the other thread.

I see Man Utd have allocated 1,200 seats to an "atmosphere section". I guess the club could do that for BF1 and BF2, but it happens already.

Perhaps more needs to be done in the Broomloan. Move the family section to, say, the Club Deck if possible and encourage those who want to sing to go to the Broomloan. The Copland has a lot of long terms occupants and using it would just create a lot of bad feeling, and potentially lose fans.

Other things to improve the match day experience would be to get decent wifi and improve the food. The quality in the vans outside is so much better and far cheaper.

Without going over the whole political songs issue again, I stuck this in as something all fans can get behind. Some fans would rather stick to football and are put off by the overtly political chants/banners.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

9 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Without going over the whole political songs issue again, I stuck this in as something all fans get behind. Some fans would rather stick to football and are put off by the overtly political chants/banners.

Sure, but those who are going to get off their backsides and be leaders in generating the atmosphere (UB07, and previously TBO and CDL) aren't going to accept such restrictions.

If it's something that's to be introduced then it needs to be something looked at in the long term. It's difficult enough to get those who sing to not use the F or P words never mind getting them to stop singing Derry's Walls (not that I'm suggesting that we should).

If we're going to be serious about this then there needs to be a realistic view taken.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

Sure, but those who going to get off their backsides and be leaders in generating the atmosphere (UB07, and previously TBO and CDL) aren't going to accept such restrictions.

If it's something that's to be introduced then it needs to be something looked at in the long term. It's difficult enough to get those who sing to not use the F or P words never mind getting them to stop singing Derry's Walls (not that I'm suggesting that we should).

If we're going to be serious about this then there needs to be a realistic view taken.

Not a restriction as such. Just something new to galvanize ALL fans. If it's positive and all about the club/team then who could object? 

I also feel if the club want to eradicate the "naughty" words and songs they need to be more pro-active

Just now, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Not a restriction as such. Just something new to galvanize ALL fans. If it's positive and all about the club/team then who could object? 

A vast majority will object to not being able to sing The Sash, Derry's Walls etc.

11 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

A vast majority will object to not being able to sing The Sash, Derry's Walls etc.

That's not what I'm getting at. I'm more than aware that there are fans who want to sing these songs. I can't change that but I was thinking more of something new and non political. If fans want to sing those (without any add-ons) fair enough, that box is ticked. Imagine we had a blank piece of paper, what could we do that is non political and is purely about the club as a wall in Derry, Sash's et all mean nowt to a large number of fans

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1. More diversity

2. More inclusion.

3. More inclusive diversity and diverse inclusion.  

On a more serious note:

1. Safe Standing section.

2. Get shot of all the Americanisms (take the awful looking Family Stand sign down, get rid of the pre-match and half-time music and definitely get rid of the cringeworthy post-goal music and put the mascots away).  

3. Have the Union Flag, the Saltire and the RHoU, proudly flying above the Govan Stand on match days, as a way to say thanks to our fans from all over the UK.