Rangers close to signing Motherwell starlet Jake Hastie on pre-contract

RANGERS are poised to snap up Motherwell starlet Jake Hastie on a four-year deal.

SunSport can reveal the Ibrox side are close to tying up Hastie, 19, on a pre-contract.

Well had hoped to hold on to their highly-rated wide man, whose deal is up this summer, and had made their best offer to keep him.

But Gers boss Steven Gerrard has moved swiftly to entice the player, who has burst on to the scene in stunning fashion during 2019.

If the deal is completed it’s likely that Liverpool legend Gerrard’s presence in the Ibrox dugout will have been the decisive factor.

But Well won’t be left out of pocket if the move goes ahead.

Hastie has been in the club’s academy since 2009, meaning Well will be due a chunky development fee.

Incredibly, Hastie only made his first start for Motherwell on January 23, having spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Championship strugglers Alloa Athletic.

Since then he’s quickly settled into Stephen Robinson’s side, netting four goals in five games.

Hastie has also landed his first Scotland Under-21 call-up for the friendlies against Mexico and Sweden later this month.

Robinson has maintained it would be best for Hastie’s future to stay at the club, while the player himself also said he saw his future at Fir Park.

But his all-action style and running power, allied to his goalscoring ability, saw sides start to circle as talks between Well and Hastie hit the buffers.

Celtic, Middlesbrough, Derby, Millwall and Hull were all among the clubs who were keeping tabs.

But it looks like Gers are now on the verge of beating them all to secure Hastie’s signature.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3969121/rangers-motherwell-jake-hastie/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1551998060

Absolutely delighted with this. He’s young but has a lot of potential. If we’re sticking with the 4-3-3 we need players like this on the wing who cut inside and score goals. A steal from Motherwell if true who will be fuming. 

Edited by DMAA

I used to stay next door to him a few years ago, he's a great young lad and also has very nice parents who did all they can to make him a success.

He's got a great left foot on him and has bulked up a lot as I've followed his career since he turned pro.

His dad is Celtic daft but to give him his due he always said to me he would have no issue signing for Rangers as long as it's the best deal.

I can't see him cheering his boy on if he scored against them though!!

Certainly hope it's true as he looks a great prospect and deserves this.

29 minutes ago, johnnyk said:

I used to stay next door to him a few years ago, he's a great young lad and also has very nice parents who did all they can to make him a success.

He's got a great left foot on him and has bulked up a lot as I've followed his career since he turned pro.

His dad is Celtic daft but to give him his due he always said to me he would have no issue signing for Rangers as long as it's the best deal.

I can't see him cheering his boy on if he scored against them though!!

Certainly hope it's true as he looks a great prospect and deserves this.

His mother and her family are supposedly huge Rangers fans so it seems to be a pretty mixed family if true.

Just now, pete said:

His mother and her family are supposedly huge Rangers fans so it seems to be a pretty mixed family if true.

She's not really into football but you are right her side were Rangers fans. I jokingly tried to get Jake into Rangers when I seen him, and always tried to wind up his dad.

His dad is/was into boxing and trained locally and took Jake all the time, I think it was his mum, that didn't like him fighting but he was very good at boxing as well.

He's done well since he used to wash my car when he was young ?

5 minutes ago, johnnyk said:

She's not really into football but you are right her side were Rangers fans. I jokingly tried to get Jake into Rangers when I seen him, and always tried to wind up his dad.

His dad is/was into boxing and trained locally and took Jake all the time, I think it was his mum, that didn't like him fighting but he was very good at boxing as well.

He's done well since he used to wash my car when he was young ?

Trying to wind a guy up that is into boxing.:eek2: You are either brave or daft.?

36 minutes ago, pete said:

Trying to wind a guy up that is into boxing.:eek2: You are either brave or daft.?

He is a good guy and we had beers together many times, we would always wind each other up depending on results, he is one of the few Celtic fans that can have decent banter without going too far. 

This would be an excellent signing and it would help show a football operation going down the right road both on and off field.

I think it's important to get the bright Scottish youngsters in and to do it on the relative cheap, even better.

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

and to do it on the relative cheap, even better.

How much would Motherwell be asking for if he had 4 years on his deal? Probably 1.5 to 2m.