MSP John Mason: IRA killers “freedom fighters”

MSP John Mason sparks fury by saying IRA killers who executed 3 Scots squaddies can be considered ‘freedom fighters’

The Nat refused to back a campaign to bring the culprits to trial for the 1971 atrocity

MSP John Mason sparked fury by saying IRA killers who executed three Scots squaddies can be considered “freedom fighters”.

He refused to back a campaign to bring the culprits to trial for the 1971 atrocity.

Royal Highland Fusiliers Dougald McCaughey, 23, and teenage brothers John and Joseph McCaig were off-duty and in civilian clothes when they were enticed from a Belfast pub and shot.

Nat Mr Mason tweeted: “Happy to support all campaigns to bring about justice. But not taking sides between Irish and British.”

Then, challenged to take sides between “Scottish soldiers and Irish murderers”, the Glasgow Shettleston MSP wrote: “Others say Irish freedom fighters.

"I support Scottish soldiers if they do good but not if they do bad.”

Northern Ireland politician Nelson McCausland slammed his remarks as “grossly offensive”.

The Democratic Unionist added: “Will Mr Mason clarify what he believes these soldiers were ‘doing bad’ when they were lured from a bar to be murdered? Are the SNP happy to align with a terrorist campaign because those who engaged in it share their aim to break up the UK?”

Mr Mason was last month accused of “trivialising rape” after tweeting about the 2014 indy poll: “Marginal view was no. We hope to change that. Girl does not always say yes first time!”

Labour said: “SNP leaders can’t remain silent about his actions.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/523484/msp-john-mason-ira-killers-scots-squaddies-freedom-fighters/

This is an old story which I’m sure was covered on here at the time. Guys a nutter, anybody who thinks the worlds only 6000 years old is not the full shilling. Why he is still a candidate for SNP I’m not sure, political parties seem to have a problem in removing sitting MP’s, MSP’s etc.

On 08/03/2019 at 11:13, BEARGER said:

This is an old story which I’m sure was covered on here at the time. Guys a nutter, anybody who thinks the worlds only 6000 years old is not the full shilling. Why he is still a candidate for SNP I’m not sure, political parties seem to have a problem in removing sitting MP’s, MSP’s etc.

You say that as if it's an unusual view for an SNP member. 

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

You say that as if it's an unusual view for an SNP member. 

I think it is, don’t remember any other leading lights in SNP coming out with that nonsense. Possibly ex leader Gordon Wilson could be one? You got any you can confirm?