1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

9 of the 13 outfield players who played tonight were Gerrard signings. He states that we were bullied all over the park, he must take some responsibility for that. 

Are they his signings though? Is it him who is making these decisions?

29 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Are they his signings though? Is it him who is making these decisions?

If it’s not then he should not be there. Any manager with self respect would not work in these circumstances. It’s not as if he’s been given the Man City job with the squad they have, we are rebuilding and he should have final say on recruits.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I understand those that want better attacking options, and a more 'creative' midfielder, but what will he be asked to do differently?  Unless someone makes those inside forward runs, it will have no impact on our effectiveness in the final 30 yards.  The next time you are watching us play, watch when our wide men have the ball.  There is a gaping space on the right/left hand side of the 18 yard box, just crying out for a run to be made.  Surely a pro would spot that run and make it.  That's why I believe it's tactical instructions that cause them not to make those runs.  As I've said on many occasions, I know nothing compared to the management team, so what is it that they are trying to achieve that I can't understand?!?

Excellent post!

Yes, in a 4-3-3, one of the 8s should be occupying that half-space -- watch Man City or any Guardiola side; that space is occupied. 

In our 4-2-3-1, I think one of the 6s should be occupying it. Jack drops to be a lone 6, with Kamara sliding into that channel. Arfield could, but I think he should be in the other half-space threatening runs into the box, to get on the end of a cross -- it would also pull the defense inside leaving space for the other winger. 

But, yes, in neither of those formations are those half-spaces occupied. I do hope that SG is learning and developing this side. There have been improvements. 

IMHO, playing the blame-game is not really worth it, not least when it comes to individuals.

Teams like ICT, Dundee, Killie, Aberdeen or Hibs all play the same system and tactics against us, only on different ability level. 

We seemingly want to play a modern 4-3-3 against any opposition, but this only succeeds if everyone gives 100 % from the off (happens regularly) and we take some of the many chances we create - our biggest failure. Unless we score early - or early enough - it starts to get sticky and dire. The odd individual error leads to a fatal break-away, coupled with dodgy refereeing ... how often have we seen that. A neat combination of all that happens nigh every week.

What sickens me most is the apparent resistence to learn from the above. 3 or 4 "attackers" against 7 to 9 defenders simply ain't working. Last week the gaffer said we have to change and improve the final third stuff. Wonder when that will happen? On European level, as we have seen, a 4-3-3 works well enough. In Scotland, it is not a plain battle field though, it is storming hillforts 8 out of 10 games ...

13 hours ago, Gaffer said:

It's painful because there's nothing wrong with the formation, or even the players we have.

I agree with what you and @Rousseau say on tactics, but I just can't agree that it's nothing to do with our players. I've been saying for most of the season that we don't have the players to pull off 4-3-3 in the type of game we had last night. That was the 10th domestic game we've lost or dropped points huffing and puffing in a 4-3-3 against a low lying defence. We just need better than Kent and Candeias in the forward 3, they're rabbits in the headlights time every time they get to the 18 yard line.

In 36 games Kent has 5 goals, 4 of which have been against the bottom 4 in games we've cruised to 3+ goal margin win. The other was the open goal against Hearts when they totally messed up playing the offside trap. The other 31 games he hasn't scored, and has barely assisted. Candeias has slightly better stats but it's largely the same story, quality badly lacking when we're not counter attacking.

Watching Man City last night what is interesting is that they play their wing forwards on the "right" wing, Sane and Sterling's searing pace gets them in behind and on their strong foot already so they can shoot or cross/cut-back on their strong foot. Kent on the left is just not getting behind the full back and putting in low crosses or cutbacks often enough, he normally just vacates the position altogether and moves towards Arfield in front of the opposition defence. I think this is why his stats are so low, unless you are very gifted shooter or passer that position is no use for you.

Edited by DMAA

5 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Sane and Sterling's searing pace gets them in behind and on their strong foot already so they can shoot or cross/cut-back on their strong foot

Of course this is where the creative centre midfielder/no10 comes in, Man City have outstanding passers of the ball who routinely loft deft through balls over the full backs onto Sane and Sterling. It's a joy to watch and they make it look so easy. I'd like to see Kent played on the right so he can focus on timing his runs in behind and making cut backs, I think that would play to his strengths far more than his current role.

We keep saying we cannot blame the referee for the results but when he allows our best player to be manhandled for 90 minutes and even scythed down as against Hibs without any retribution then it becomes difficult. If Morelos even sneezes he is given a yellow or red card which means he is at least treading dangerously for the rest of the game. The BBC made a point that the angle the referee had yesterday made it impossible to see Considine's arm but surely then the linesman had a perfect view. How Hibs and Aberdeen ended the game with 11 players on the park is a disgrace.

35 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Of course this is where the creative centre midfielder/no10 comes in, Man City have outstanding passers of the ball who routinely loft deft through balls over the full backs onto Sane and Sterling. It's a joy to watch and they make it look so easy. I'd like to see Kent played on the right so he can focus on timing his runs in behind and making cut backs, I think that would play to his strengths far more than his current role.

Of course, having excellent passers helps -- a lot -- but it's not the main reason Man City get in behind.

Guardiola's positional play is all about ball retention, and having one more player spare, to overload areas in order to isolate the wingers 1-on-1. How many times do you see Man City go through simple passing triangles on one side, sucking teams over, then switching the play -- not always with one raking pass -- to isolate Stirling or play him in behind. It's not always deft passes. 

I don't think Stirling is the greatest of players, but his pace is unbelievable. If you combine that with Guardiola's tactics, of setting him up on 1-on-1's -- which he does at every club, and it doesn't always need blistering pace -- it's a potent combination. 

And, when they get in behind on the near side (not switching play), it's the third-man runs from the 8s that are crucial to getting in-behind. Of course, here a good passer would help, but I don't believe it's necessary if the players are well-drilled. 

I know you're not saying this per se, but, I don't believe that the 4-3-3 is some mysterious formation that only the best players in the world can play. Moreover, that we can't play it because teams are just defending against us. Teams defend against Man City. It's all about the right execution. 

You could put Stirling in for Candeias and it would still be sh*te. :ninja:  

From my professional life, there was a maxim that strategy trumps tactics.

I think from the off last evening, McInnes set out four/five members of his team to man mark four/five of our players. Rangers players coming deep were followed all the way, this turned the game into a series of personal battles. The obvious result of this strategy was 8 cautions for Aberdeen.

McInnes was interviewed by BBC Radio Scotland after last night's game at Ibrox. He was the first recipient of such a telephone call this season. He congratulated both Shinnie and McLennan for taking cautions for the team. 

We lost the one on one battles and lost the match.