Rangers say SFA must deal with Aberdeen fans’ bigoted chants at Steven Gerrard

RANGERS say the SFA must deal with sectarian abuse aimed at Steven Gerrard by Aberdeen fans.

Some Dons supporters were heard at full-time chanting the bigoted ‘Cheer up…’ song at the Gers gaffer and taunting him with the vile ‘sad Orange b*****d’ lyrics.

It comes a week after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned clubs to sort out fans’ sectarian behaviour or her Government will step in.

A Gers spokesperson said: “The match delegate is aware of sectarian chants from some Aberdeen fans and it is up to the SFA to deal with that.”

SunSport has asked Aberdeen for comment.

For decades fans have put a sectarian slant on The Monkees’ classic Daydream Believer to taunt opposing players and managers.

Last month Rangers-daft funnyman Andy Cameron, 79, blasted those who unleashed the bigoted version of the ‘Cheer up…’ chorus at their rivals.

Anti-sectarian charity Nil by Mouth have also hit out the abusive song aimed at Gerrard last night.

In a tweet earlier today, they said: "Depressing to hear reports of more sectarian abuse at football last night.

"This time directed toward Rangers manager Steven Gerrard. Pathetic to turn up at a game to spout this crap."

Meanwhile, Union Bears leader Ross McGill has hit back at the Gers fans who blasted the fan group for their latest silent protest.

The Light Blues ‘ultras’ are embroiled in a dispute with Ibrox chiefs over seating arrangements.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3992375/rangers-sfa-sectarian-abuse-steven-gerrard/

3 minutes ago, rbr said:

Think this will only open a massive can of worms 

Steve Clarke opened that can of worms with his faux distress nonsense (you could argue the yahoos and their media placemen opened it decades ago).

Interesting to note the following comment from NBM:

"Pathetic to turn up at a game to spout this crap."

I wonder how many football matches whoever said that has paid to get into. 

I’d be 100 times more worried about what happened to Tavernier & Jack Grealish at the weekend. Possible misreporting here though, I don’t see the word ‘must’ in the club statement, yet it appears in the Sun headline. Also, their chants about the Ibrox disaster were far more offensive in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, 917 said:

their chants about the Ibrox disaster were far more offensive in my opinion.

I thought they were singing about Durrant, not that it matters much.

I wish there were more offensive songs in British football stadiums. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I thought they were singing about Durrant, not that it matters much.

I wish there were more offensive songs in British football stadiums. 

They sang that too, but were also singing “who’s that lying on the stairway, who’s that dying in the snow”