[FT] Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock (Morelos 64')

It's worth nothing there's a protest tomorrow in the square outside the BBC's Pacific Quay studios - just a ten minute walk from Ibrox Stadium.  Gersnet will be supporting this peaceful demonstration against regular editorially unfair reporting towards our club from BBC Scotland so I'll look forward to see you all there around 12.45pm tomorrow.

Really enjoyed reading that Frankie.  I do wonder if SG will change the formation and/or tactics.  If he does, is that an admission that he's to blame, or will it be interpreted as him having to make changes because the players aren't good enough?

I have made my feelings known about tactics, but whatever happens against Killie there needs to be a very visible reaction or the fans will turn against the team quickly.  I don't imagine SG can rely at all on his ability to motivate the players to suddenly turn up for this game, which is why I do agree that he will make a clear statement by changing the team and formation for this game.  It's times like this that the management team's character will be tested more than that of our players.

Dammit! I had just written a match preview. 

I really should have looked at the rota. :facepalm: 

Here's a bit of it (the rest @Frankie has covered excellently):

It was a dark night. Rangers went down 0-2 at home against Aberdeen in the Quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup last tuesday night. Conceding an early goal gave us an uphill struggle and played right into Aberdeen’s hands. Eight yellow cards were picked up by the ‘Dons as Rangers huffed and puffed against physical, man-marking ‘tactics’. Despite having 63% possession and three-times the shots at goal, the Rangers attack failed to breach. Rangers were out of the cup.

For many, the Scottish Cup Quarter-final replay was our last chance this season to realistically win silverware. The ‘Dons again had knocked us out of the League cup back in October. Our league form had stuttered. Another 1-1 draw against Hibernian had many believing that was the final nail in the coffin of a potential title challenge. 

It was a dark night.

Jermain Defoe sees a bright future. Our Old Firm rivals had failed to capitalise on our latest slip-up at Easter Road. And our performances were not that bad; We are dominating games--albeit not taking the chances we should. 

“Fans are going to be frustrated,” said Defoe, “just like the players. You have to play well every game. The fans expect you to win, expect you to progress in these kinds of tournaments”.

“I think if you look at the quality we’ve got in the dressing room, the international players we’ve got, it’s a time for the football club to be excited”.

“I just think it can take time for things to build; it’s not going to become an unbelievable team overnight. Sometimes it takes time”.

“I’d definitely be excited”, said Defoe. “It’s a club and a team definitely going places.”

Rangers take on Kilmarnock this Saturday at Ibrox. It’s a chance to get a league challenge back on track, against a side that were knocking on the door. And we couldn’t be playing them at a better time. 

Kilmarnock beat St Mirren 0-1 last Monday in what was their first win in NINE games--including a 5-0 defeat against Rangers. They have scored one goal. Their so-called title challenge has disintegrated. 

Kilmarnock will likely set up in a 4-5-1 formation, with Brophy leading the line and looking to harry and harass the Rangers back line. A stubborn low block will seek to frustrate Rangers into committing more and more players forward, as they look to counter with wide-men Burke and McAleny. The other option--which was deployed in the previous clash at Ibrox--could be a 4-1-2-1-2, ultimately with the same strategy. An early red had scuppered any chance of that working. 

Kilmarnock will be without Kris Boyd and new signings Alex Bruce and Youssouf Mulumbu through injury.

[And, of course, the obligatory team prediction:]

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Worrall - Barasic

Kamara - Jack

Candeias - Arfield - Kent

Morelos

(Just as @ian1964 posts the Press Conference Tweet where SG states there will be changes to the team... :facepalm: )

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Worrall - Barasic

Kamara - Jack

Candeias - Arfield - Kent

Morelos

(Just as @ian1964 posts the Press Conference Tweet where SG states there will be changes to the team... :facepalm: )

Can't believe you were predicting no changes ? I think it's reached a stage where an unchanged side would be met with near hostility, but more importantly I think Gerrard recognises that you just have to drop players after two very costly poor performances. The other side of that is that you have to give guys a chance when they are watching the guys starting ahead of them failing. Defoe especially needs a chance. I have been a fan of Middleton all season I would give him a start but surely he can make the bench at least, the wingers are misfiring and I can't understand why you wouldn't have him as an option.

Edited by DMAA