Old Firm To Blame For Scotland's poor standing

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Those who consume it should turn it off or it's more them who should be thinking of who is tying their boot-laces.

Thing is, while you are partly right, putting your head in the sand don`t work in a country such as Scotland. It is that tactic which allowed these idiots reach their standing and essentially dominate any sort of reasoned debate or indeed opinion making.

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Thing is, while you are partly right, putting your head in the sand don`t work in a country such as Scotland. It is that tactic which allowed these idiots reach their standing and essentially dominate any sort of reasoned debate or indeed opinion making.

No, this is simply low quality and dubious clickbait coming from a low quality brand and a presenter on the way down after a relatively decent career.

To consume and take it at all seriously is feeding the beast and encouraging them to come back with more of the same.

Meanwhile, what is happening at BBC Scotland is worthy of our attention, in part for the reasons you mention.

There's no link to the original story in the opening post for me so I'm guessing the gist of it from the replies. Aside from any hyperbole or sensational nonsense he's spouted I actually do think that Rangers and Celtic, as well as the other leading sides in the league are largely to blame for the quality of player Scotland produces. We've been through this before on Gersnet over the years, but for some reason we're able to field highly competitive sides with some real standout individual players at youth level, yet for some reason these same players don't develop in the same way as they get older. We used to blame a 'booze and diet' culture but that's not it, sure some might but most young players are surprisingly focussed and aware of things like that. The issue is how we play football in this country and how young players are developed. We need to take our share of the blame for that. 

I remember a few seasons back Hamilton brought through MacArthur and McCarthy, both went onto to have international careers and play at the highest level in England. Hamilton were then relegated. This, for me, is part of the problem, any side that focuses on youth development will be punished in our current league. Our league is set up to reward managers who bring in journeymen from the English lower leagues who can fight, scrap and run all match, that keeps you in the league and keeps the manager in a job. 

In the end  Rangers and especially Celtic are the most powerful and influential clubs in the country, until we demand changes this decline will continue. 

While following Scotland lost its appeal a long time ago, I still don't want to see us horsed by countries with fewer resources and little footballing culture. No disrespect to Kazakstan but we should be beating them. In the end Scotland hasn't produced a player of genuinely international ability in a long, long time, that should concern all of us. 

Edited by JohnMc

33 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

. No disrespect to Kazakstan but we should be beating them. In the end Scotland hasn't produced a player of genuinely international ability in a long, long time, that should concern all of us

Doesn't concern me at all due to little green eyes Strachan being obviously manipulated by Liewell and players like the lego cruncher deciding for him.

While I would like to see a Rangers team full of home talent I am more than happy to see one with none as long as we are successful.

3 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Doesn't concern me at all due to little green eyes Strachan being obviously manipulated by Liewell and players like the lego cruncher deciding for him.

While I would like to see a Rangers team full of home talent I am more than happy to see one with none as long as we are successful.

For our continued survival it makes sense we're able to develop our own top class players. We can't buy top class ones anymore, so we'll need to create our own. Sure, they won't stay for long if they're genuinely good, but that's also a financial necessity these days. This is about more than someone's like or dislike for the Scottish national side. Rangers will always be a real pull for young Scottish players, so the better they are the better we'll be. Lifting the quality of player is in our short and long term interest. 

46 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

No disrespect to Kazakstan but we should be beating them. In the end Scotland hasn't produced a player of genuinely international ability in a long, long time, that should concern all of us. 

Andy Robertson is one and you can actually use him as an example of a player who triumphed only after getting ditched by Celtic. 

If you are good enough, with the right attitude and work ethic............ the opportunity is there.