David Robertson/Real Kashmir

Watched the excellent documentary on the above mentioned on BBC iPlayer last night after the Scotland game. Seeing old clips of DR for us & Aberdeen got me thinking. Is he the most under rated player ever to sign for us?

Looking back he was as hard as nails, yet in a team with Gough, Brown, Goram, Hateley, Ferguson etc you never really noticed. He was also quick and skilful, and a goal threat going forward. Hardly missed a game at LB between 91 & 97, a position that had been a problem before. Won the league every season in his 6 at the club. Yet for some reason he hardly got any Scotland caps..

But what got me thinking, was that people blamed Marco Negri, Gazza etc for us not winning the 10. Looking back, was it the decision to let Robertson go to Leeds in 97 that cost us 9 in a row??

30 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

Brilliant player. Up there with Numan for me as far as left backs in my lifetime, maybe not quite that good. His link up with Laudrup was brilliant at times

Right now I’d rather have a Davie Robertson than a Numan. Having said that, with today’s refs he’d probably get sent off every game these days, or be cited by Sportscene every week. Just a pity we never signed Numan the season before, (97-98) it’s fair to say Stale Stensaas wasn’t anywhere near the level of those two!!

2 hours ago, 917 said:

Right now I’d rather have a Davie Robertson than a Numan. Having said that, with today’s refs he’d probably get sent off every game these days, or be cited by Sportscene every week. Just a pity we never signed Numan the season before, (97-98) it’s fair to say Stale Stensaas wasn’t anywhere near the level of those two!!

Oooft Stale Stensaas is a name to send a shiver done the spine 

Got to disagree with most of the posts. Robertson was an SPL quality full back who had the good fortune to have a magician playing in front of him for most of his time with us. I can't understand how anyone can favourably compare him to Numan, Numan was a much higher calibre player in my opinion. I liked Robertson, but he benefited from the '3 foreigner' rule. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Got to disagree with most of the posts. Robertson was an SPL quality full back who had the good fortune to have a magician playing in front of him for most of his time with us. I can't understand how anyone can favourably compare him to Numan, Numan was a much higher calibre player in my opinion. I liked Robertson, but he benefited from the '3 foreigner' rule. 

Can’t agree with that. The first 3 seasons Laudrup wasn’t there, & he won 7 out of 9 trophies, not to mention going 10 matches unbeaten in the inaugural Champions League. From 94 - 97 we won a ‘mere’ 5 trophies out of 9, and in any case Laudrup was hardly stuck on the left wing.

I agree Numan was a better player, but which foreign LB exactly did Davie Robertson replace in the team in 91? That is like saying we only signed Andy Goram because of the 3 foreigners rule..

25 minutes ago, 917 said:

Can’t agree with that. The first 3 seasons Laudrup wasn’t there, & he won 7 out of 9 trophies, not to mention going 10 matches unbeaten in the inaugural Champions League. From 94 - 97 we won a ‘mere’ 5 trophies out of 9, and in any case Laudrup was hardly stuck on the left wing.

I agree Numan was a better player, but which foreign LB exactly did Davie Robertson replace in the team in 91? That is like saying we only signed Andy Goram because of the 3 foreigners rule..

To be fair, that rule was one of the major reasons we signed Goram.  Smith wanted to use his 3 foreigners for outfield positions so picked up Goram - the fact Goram turned out to be one of our best ever was by chance as well as design.

2 hours ago, craig said:

To be fair, that rule was one of the major reasons we signed Goram.  Smith wanted to use his 3 foreigners for outfield positions so picked up Goram - the fact Goram turned out to be one of our best ever was by chance as well as design.

This is true, same reason we sold Mark Walters. A lot of fans thought we were downsizing by signing Goram. Bear in mind Chris Woods was England’s 1st choice Keeper in 1991, succeeding Peter Shilton before a young David Seaman usurped him after Woods went to Sheffield Wednesday..