David Robertson/Real Kashmir

4 hours ago, 917 said:

Can’t agree with that. The first 3 seasons Laudrup wasn’t there, & he won 7 out of 9 trophies, not to mention going 10 matches unbeaten in the inaugural Champions League. From 94 - 97 we won a ‘mere’ 5 trophies out of 9, and in any case Laudrup was hardly stuck on the left wing.

I agree Numan was a better player, but which foreign LB exactly did Davie Robertson replace in the team in 91? That is like saying we only signed Andy Goram because of the 3 foreigners rule..

I think that's exactly why we signed Robertson. That's not to say he wasn't a decent player, he was fine, I just think he benefited from playing in an exceptional side. I certainly don't think selling him played any major part in us not winning the league. 

I agree Stensaas wasn't as good a player although I quite liked Vidmar. Maybe we'll do a podcast on that season and why we fell just short. For me the issues around Gascoigne, Laurdrup signing a pre-contract with Chelsea, key players like McCoist and McCall knowing they were leaving as well as John Brown retiring that summer were much bigger factors. The biggest issue was Smith basically being sacked half way through, no way that didn't affect him and the team. I also think losing Amo to injury for most of the season was key, for all his faults he'd have made a difference to our defence that season, Gough returned and did a job but he wasn't the same player. Of course if Negri had just kept scoring goals they could have played me at left back and won the league!

Yeah, I well remember watching Laudrup run amok against Brazil in the World Cup quarter final & wondering where he’d been for us most of that season. Not that he ever showed that form for Chelsea either. We probably should have had a clear out in 97, but you don’t just sack legends like McCall, McCoist, Goram etc

Robertson was brilliant and Ive no idea why he didnt get 60 caps for Scotland, he was easily the best LB in the 90s.

I went to the same school as him although he had left by the time I got there and tried to start up a Davie Robertson Harlaw Supporters club in the 90s, it just didnt get the right numbers as most of us were still at school.

On 29/03/2019 at 04:17, Gribz said:

Robertson was brilliant and Ive no idea why he didnt get 60 caps for Scotland, he was easily the best LB in the 90s.

On 25/03/2019 at 16:40, 917 said:

Yet for some reason he hardly got any Scotland caps..

He told Craig Brown that he would rather not be selected.