The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

22 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Well, you need a good mix of young people as well as seasoned veterans who can cope with the demands of a big club. Not saying that Klose is such a guy, but Defoe and Davis belong to this category. SG built a solid foundation and Klose wouldn`t be older than a certain Scott Arfield. But let`s wait and see what actually happens.

Quick and late observation regarding age profile of a squad.

What team are bucking the trend at a top level this season,...Ajax with by far the youngest squad in the CL.

Whilst it's not as simple as filling a squad full of youngsters, it's a reminder that the most probable pathway to relative success in the future will be via our youth academy.

... if your country and ex-colonies is ladden with talent? Sure enough. Our academy looks after talent too, as Young-Combs and some others prove. But as we know us and our support, the sooner success can be achieved the better. Not least with the Scum collecting one tainted title after another.

33 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

... if your country and ex-colonies is ladden with talent? Sure enough. Our academy looks after talent too, as Young-Combs and some others prove. But as we know us and our support, the sooner success can be achieved the better. Not least with the Scum collecting one tainted title after another.

This isn't about youth or experience, it's about a mix of the two.

If we continue to put our faith and what transfer budget we have in older legs, I think we'll continue to get the same results.

We are behind them in terms of finances but we are also behind them in bringing players through the system.

We hear about the good work being done in youth development and see it in recent International tournaments but we'll be in a much better place if and when some of the players get to a level to start making it through to the first team. Three of their regular better performers (Tierney, Forrest & McGregor) came through their youth system.

I really like Ross McCrorie as a player and would like to see him get more game time but you get the impression that SG often prefers players who he think can better retain possession (eg. Kamara). I reckon Docherty was sent on loan because whilst he works hard to win balls, his next pass often went astray.

Take Sunday's game three up the games in the bag would it not have been better to have the best couple of youngsters on the bench and give them the last thirty minutes on the pitch with the first eleven  .

3 hours ago, buster. said:

Quick and late observation regarding age profile of a squad.

What team are bucking the trend at a top level this season,...Ajax with by far the youngest squad in the CL.

Whilst it's not as simple as filling a squad full of youngsters, it's a reminder that the most probable pathway to relative success in the future will be via our youth academy.

When was the last time Ajax won the Eredivisie? Ajax have now improved their academy but for years they were placed 7th in Holland for the quality of their academy. Not so long ago Ajax had more first team players sitting in the stands than in the first team pool. The Ajax super academy is a blast from the past. They were also the first team to scout all over Holland and abroad for youth players. All the top teams do that now.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

I reckon Docherty was sent on loan because whilst he works hard to win balls, his next pass often went astray.

I think Docherty in particular may be a perfect example of a work in progress. I'm presuming they have told him what he's doing well and what he needs to improve on which only game time will help with.

Gonna be a lot of this but -

A name I have heard a few times is Axel Tuanzebe currently out on loan at Aston Villa from Man Utd. Only has 1 year left on his deal & we have been watching him, scouted him several times ?

Agents are throwing crazy names around but have managed to get it confirmed he is one we are keen on & have scouted him 

Most probably scouted plenty of guys like this but sharing anyway 

7 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Gonna be a lot of this but -

A name I have heard a few times is Axel Tuanzebe currently out on loan at Aston Villa from Man Utd. Only has 1 year left on his deal & we have been watching him, scouted him several times ?

Agents are throwing crazy names around but have managed to get it confirmed he is one we are keen on & have scouted him 

Most probably scouted plenty of guys like this but sharing anyway 

In July 2018, he broke the Guinness World Record for fastest time to clear a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

just what we require?