The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

22 hours ago, der Berliner said:

IMHO, SG far too often employs the 4-3-3 no matter what instead of playing e.g. Defoe and/or Lafferty next to Morelos. Given that we almost always play two grafters in midfield, we could easily have switched to three at the back and put one more player either u front or into midfield. Sadly enough, these last two games will be another sample of how 4-3-3 can work ... but for that to be the case, e.g. Arfield has to get into the right positions and put the chances away as well as the opposition play more open than what Accies, Dundee, Killie and Co. usually do.

Injury can happen to every player and it is a tragedy that Murphy wrecked his knee on plastic turf and Dorrans never got going. Since we will have both next season ... and I reckon they can have a similar impact as Arfield, the addition of Davis for no fee and probably rather moderate wages is okay.

Defoe has been paying back his wages on a rather alarming rate ... Lafferty IMHO is just a victim of the tactics rather than anything else. The again, you`d have to ask SG why he is barely used after being so vigorously chased by him.

There were always liable to be teething problems in SG&Co's first season in first team management. More especially at a club that if it wants to be successful has very little margin for error. The vital thing going forward is that they have learnt from it and can improve on a number of issues.

Firstly, the summer transfer window has to be our best in recent memory. That doesn't mean we have to spend more than all other recent transfer windows, it means that the players brought are able to function consistently in whatever shapes and starting line-ups chosen by the management #Synergy

I sometimes go on about veterans but it's not either veterans or youth. I fully accept both are required,...it's about the balance and bringing in experience that doesn't arrive with a significant injury history and isn't too far down the downward slope. There are never guarantees but you have to play the percentages.

You talk of Arfield, Dorrans and Davis for next season. I'd suggest it not wise to depend on their bodies to hold up or give us what we need to get to where we want to be. Arfield has had an excellent season and perhaps he can have another. With him I just hope that this seasons efforts don't end up catching up with him next season.

Edited by buster.

I would assume that Kamara and McCrorie will be very much a feature next season alongside  the "veterans". Maybe Coulibaly and Rossiter too. Since we will start early again and hope for another long run in Europe (though I realistically do not expect another 14odd game run ...), every guy with a young and old head will be required. And right now I am happy to have these "old heads" in form of Arfield, Davis, and Dorrans, who sure add some quality and stability to our squad.

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I would assume that Kamara and McCrorie will be very much a feature next season alongside  the "veterans". Maybe Coulibaly and Rossiter too. Since we will start early again and hope for another long run in Europe (though I realistically do not expect another 14odd game run ...), every guy with a young and old head will be required. And right now I am happy to have these "old heads" in form of Arfield, Davis, and Dorrans, who sure add some quality and stability to our squad.

Midfield

Required: Dominant type enforcer and creative Number 10 (if Stewart does sign, I'd see him as a back-up option to a better player).

We need a player who has drive and leadership, as well as ability.

IMO these two positions need to be part of the 'improving the quality'.

40 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Just to add

You have named Arfield, Dorrans, Kamara, McCrorie, Coulibally, Rossiter and Davis.

If possible I'd move on Dorrans, Coulibally, Rossiter and Davis.

You just can't depend on Dorrans and Rossiter (injuries)

Coulibally hasn't done enough to make us try and extend loan.

The finance involved in a contract for Davis should go towards 'dominant enforcer' and creative No.10.

McCrorie is a case in point regards younger players and if they can do a job as a regular first-team player.

Can he keep improving and take on the role of 'enforcer' now ?

Do note, buster, that aside from Coulibaly (of whom SG said that he will try to get him permanently, I only mentioned those whom we already have and who counter the age problem. Jack and Halliday are both 27 and in that nigh-perfect age. So the list was and is never meant as exclusive.

As for what is required, no doubt about your assessment.

27 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Do note, buster, that aside from Coulibaly (of whom SG said that he will try to get him permanently, I only mentioned those whom we already have and who counter the age problem. Jack and Halliday are both 27 and in that nigh-perfect age. So the list was and is never meant as exclusive.

As for what is required, no doubt about your assessment.

Yes, I presumed from it that you had included Jack and potentially Halliday.

I wouldn't really understand trying to sign Coulibally permanently. We need to make some room both physically and financially for some quality.

Always watch these threads with interest, hopefully we can get most of our business done early.

I'm glad the Hastie deal is still on, I think he has the attributes to be a good footballer.

Stewart I'm still not really convinced about

Souttar is one I have always liked but he is prone to a howler every now and again, although he is still very young.

Is there any substance in the Skertel rumours or is he just going to be one of these guys we are linked to every transfer window.

Would really like to see us go all out, push the boundaries a wee bit to see who we can get in, I realise we have to fill the squad out as well though

1 minute ago, Dave M609 said:

Always watch these threads with interest, hopefully we can get most of our business done early.

I'm glad the Hastie deal is still on, I think he has the attributes to be a good footballer.

Stewart I'm still not really convinced about

Souttar is one I have always liked but he is prone to a howler every now and again, although he is still very young.

Is there any substance in the Skertel rumours or is he just going to be one of these guys we are linked to every transfer window.

Would really like to see us go all out, push the boundaries a wee bit to see who we can get in, I realise we have to fill the squad out as well though

Agreed

IMO Hastie is raw but could kick-on to a much better level.

I just don't see Stewart being able to cope with the weight of the jersey.

Skrtel is becoming a freebie this summer, as are some others. He played with SG so the maths are easy to follow. Right now, we have a pro of a similar standing in McAuley. I would assume that we'll go for a younger player than Skrtel to support Katic and Goldson.