The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

8 minutes ago, craig said:

But Messi just signed a new contract at Barca did he not ?

We are aiming high standard in my humble opinion, shouldn’t be confused with huge signings as we need to realise where we are as a club & finances

But the biggest names available to us we are certainly trying

I feel the board after being encouraged by Euro group qualification last year may go all out to try as hard as they can to make that happen again. Perhaps partly from the view that failing to do so would be like taking a step back. And that lovely Euro cash is oh so welcome.

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I feel the board after being encouraged by Euro group qualification last year may go all out to try as hard as they can to make that happen again. Perhaps partly from the view that failing to do so would be like taking a step back. And that lovely Euro cash is oh so welcome.

Has to be done within our financial constraints.  Too much of a risk to do otherwise.

Transfer fees in to cover transfer fees out - needs to be a balanced set of books for the foreseeable.

But I am sure they will do what they can, realistically, to support SG.  Our performances of late have shown improvement (coincidence or not that it has also occurred with Morelos suspended ??) and we will comfortably obtain second.  Indeed, but for some poor officiating and poor decisions we would be looking at 55 already.  Even just the 2 OF games at Parkhead (foul on Ryan Jack and Tav howler) would see us just still fighting for the title.

I think the Board recognize the improvements SG and his backroom staff have brought on relatively shoe-string budget and now firmly believe in him.

Just now, craig said:

Has to be done within our financial constraints.  Too much of a risk to do otherwise.

Transfer fees in to cover transfer fees out - needs to be a balanced set of books for the foreseeable.

But I am sure they will do what they can, realistically, to support SG.  Our performances of late have shown improvement (coincidence or not that it has also occurred with Morelos suspended ??) and we will comfortably obtain second.  Indeed, but for some poor officiating and poor decisions we would be looking at 55 already.  Even just the 2 OF games at Parkhead (foul on Ryan Jack and Tav howler) would see us just still fighting for the title.

I think the Board recognize the improvements SG and his backroom staff have brought on relatively shoe-string budget and now firmly believe in him.

And recent events/form might be an encouragement to cash in on Morelos if an 8 figure offer came in. I feel he cost us points this season though I suppose that has to be balanced with the points he won us with his goals. I reckon we would have won at the sheep pen in the first game of the season if not for his petulance. 

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

And recent events/form might be an encouragement to cash in on Morelos if an 8 figure offer came in. I feel he cost us points this season though I suppose that has to be balanced with the points he won us with his goals. I reckon we would have won at the sheep pen in the first game of the season if not for his petulance. 

Defoe's form suggests that we wouldn't miss Morelos quite as much as we would have a few weeks ago.  Morelos' indiscipline has certainly lost us points and I would suspect that SG and Co are thinking about both his indiscipline and his market value.  Someone like Andre Gray could, possibly, give us a similar goal return without the discipline issues.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I would hope the board aren't pinning too much hope on group qualification.

We have four qualifiers again.  

Think they know they can’t afford to.

Getting business done early can't be easy when you don't know if you are going to get European group stage cash or not.

You can add the Morelos situation and you are looking at somewhere around 20M that might come in, or not.

The obvious way forward would be to simply ignore the what if's until they were to happen, or not.

Hence the budget will be limited but the important thing is spending what you have well and building a team, not accumulating individuals with X or Y problem.

IMO Kamara, Hastie, Jones are good value additions.

I'm not keen on Stewart but at least he won't be burdened by huge expectation and anything he offers will almost feel like a bonus.

I'd be curious to know if SG would prefer to keep or move Morelos on.

My hunch is that when he was given the latest extension, the idea was to try and keep him for another season (unless huge offer came in) but that the latest red card has made SG doubt the wisdom of so doing and business will be done for a lesser than huge fee.