The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Rangers have made an offer to Liverpool to sign Ryan Kent again for next season, manager Steven Gerrard has confirmed in the aftermath of his side’s 2-1 defeat at Kilmarnock.

The skillful winger has excelled at Ibrox since making the move from Anfield last summer, winning the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year in the process.

It has been reported that it would take as much as a £12 million offer to sign the 22-year-old on a permanent deal, but Gerrard is hopeful he can convince his former club to allow the player to return for a second spell.

“We’re doing everything we can,” Gerrard told BT Sport. “We’ve spoken to Liverpool, we’re in touch with Ryan’s representatives and we’ve made an offer.

“But there’s nothing to say on it or to confirm it. For our supporters, what I can do is guarantee that I’m doing everything I can to get him in for another season.”

Gerrard also appeared to confirm rumours that Greg Stewart has agreed a three-year deal with Rangers following his departure from Birmingham City, simply telling reporters to “watch this space” when asked.

Stewart has spent the 2018/19 season first on loan at Kilmarnock and then with Aberdeen, and will join Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie in signing for the Light Blues ahead of next season.

One player Gerrard doesn’t want to see exit the club is striker Alfredo Morelos. The Colombian took his tally to 30 goals for the season in the defeat at Rugby Park and, unless a significant offer comes in for the player, his manager expects him to still be in Scottish football next term.

He added: “He is on a four year contract. We have had one bid for Alfredo since I have been Rangers manager and it was for 3million euros. So would you expect to see him [next season] if you were me?”

Greg Stewart agrees Rangers deal as striker set to join on three-year contract

Steven Gerrard is poised to make the Birmingham City star - on-loan at Aberdeen - his first signing of the summer.

Rangers have agreed a three-year deal to sign Greg Stewart and now want to tie down youngster Josh McPake amidst interest from top clubs in Europe.

After MailSport exclusively revealed their interest in March, Ibrox boss Steven Gerrard has secured Birmingham City striker Stewart. Gers are expected to announce his arrival at the end of the campaign, due to Stewart currently being on loan at bitter rivals Aberdeen, who they face today.

With the 29-year-old set to be the first summer arrival for Gerrard, the Gers gaffer doesn’t want to lose hitkid McPake.

The teenager was man of the match at Hampden on Thursday night as Rangers beat Celtic 3-2 in the SFA Youth Cup Final.

He was also voted Gers’ Academy Player of the Year and Gerrard may have to fend off interest from some of Europe’s top clubs.

With only one year left on his contract, MailSport understands Roma, Liverpool and Borussia Monchengladbach are keeping tabs on the 17-year-old.

Gerrard, with director of football Mark Allen, is trying to thrash out a deal to keep McPake at Ibrox.

He was signed from Hibs as a 14-year-old and has progressed through the ranks at a rapid pace.

Against Liverpool in a bounce game last Monday, McPake – along with kids Dapo Mebude and Glenn Middleton – played a key role in reversing a 4-0 half-time deficit and earning a 4-4 draw.

He followed that up with a hugely impressive display against the Hoops in midweek. McPake could now feature in Gerrard’s squad before the end of the season, as the club look to convince him that his long-term future lies at Ibrox.

The Gers gaffer said: “I rate Josh very highly but I don’t want to add any pressure to him.

“Josh was outstanding against Liverpool last week and at Hampden on Thursday he was part of a really strong team performance.

“I have to take into consideration that he’s still a baby at 17.

“The message is to be ready. The kids have given me something to think about and we have already shown we’ll give guys opportunities.

“Middleton is close to the 30 appearance mark this season so if they’re good enough they’ll play.

“It’s an exciting time to be part of Rangers’ academy.”

Gerrard will put his faith in kids after they bailed out his side in that bounce game at Liverpool.

He said: “It’s pretty easy to work out who you trust and who you want around you.

“You realise who’s going to give you a better chance of success moving forward.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/greg-stewart-agrees-rangers-deal-14812171

Before someone asks, McPake was at the Hongkong Sevens this weekend, where Rangers reached the final and narrowly lost 3-4 a.E.T. against Newcastle (IMHO with the help from the referee). Dallas scored 2 and looked great, McPake the other.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/greg-stewart-agrees-rangers-deal-14812171

Before someone asks, McPake was at the Hongkong Sevens this weekend, where Rangers reached the final and narrowly lost 3-4 a.E.T. against Newcastle (IMHO with the help from the referee). Dallas scored 2 and looked great, McPake the other.

Article is from April

Anyone know if we have we extended McPakes deal as yet ?

I thought he should have been at Kilmarnock yesterday (playing instead of Arfield)  rather than Hong Kong.

Rangers have had a bid for Oldham defender George Edmundson turned down.

The Ibrox outfit offered what they thought was a fair price for the highly-rated 21-year-old but saw it rejected by the League Two club.

Sportsmail understands that Oldham are now looking for more than the £450,000 it was originally thought would be enough to secure Edmundson's services.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7051645/Rangers-bid-Oldham-defender-George-Edmundson-rejected.html

English market, a year left of his contract in the 4th tier. Yeah ... TM "eavluates" him at 50k for that alone, Oldham adds the 400k "English inflation" ... I for one wouldn't bid much more, TBH.

BTW, as this topic will intensify over the next few weeks with sure a few players leaving and coming, can we make the thread sticky again?

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

English market, a year left of his contract in the 4th tier. Yeah ... TM "eavluates" him at 50k for that alone, Oldham adds the 400k "English inflation" ... I for one wouldn't bid much more, TBH.

BTW, as this topic will intensify over the next few weeks with sure a few players leaving and coming, can we make the thread sticky again?

If TM says 50K then I guess that clinches it :drink:

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

If TM says 50K then I guess that clinches it :drink:

They can never calculate the "market" price, i.e. what clubs want for players in demand ... or what clubs are willing to pay. They just check the bare data and put a value on his head, to help people compare him to players of a similar "standing". Oldham added another 400k (demand) or more, which is theirs to choose. If someone comes and pays that, so be it. He could just as well sit out his deal and they won`t even get the 50k TM is suggesting.

Edited by der Berliner

Just now, der Berliner said:

They can never calculate the "market" price, i.e. what clubswant for players in demand ... or what clubs are willing to pay. They just check the bare data and put a value on his head, to help people compare him to players of a similar "standing". Oldhamm added another 400k (demand) or more, which is theirs to chose. If someone comes and pays that, so be it. He could just as well sit out his deal and they won`t even get the 50k TM is suggesting.

Comes down to how clubs see it and perceived potential has become an increasingly important factor in driving up prices allied to the extent of demand.

If he's highly thought of at Championship level, we're behind the eight ball, unless factors other than money come into play.

Barry Ferguson suggesting he doesn't think Morelos will still be at Rangers next season and further stating that if an offer around £8 million comes in it has to be seriously considered. Personally I don't think he should be released for that amount.

Dembele brought more than double that while Alfie has better goal stats. Seemingly 47 goals in 90 appearances and while he may be a card/ban risk Dembele was injury prone which at the end of the day amounts to much the same thing. A player unavailable. Plus Alfie's discipline may be improved just by talking to him. Injury prone is what it is and no amount of talking will improve it.

Given Morelos is contracted till 2023 I think we should be holding on to him for next season unless a truly eye watering Dembele like offer comes in and £8 million isn't that.