The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Bolton starlet admits he's unsure of future following links to clubs including Norwich, Spurs and Rangers

PUBLISHED: 13:20 22 May 2019 | UPDATED: 13:44 22 May 2019

Bolton starlet Luca Connell is yet to decide on the next move in his blossoming career, after joining up with the Republic of Ireland senior squad amid a host of interest from Premier League clubs, including Norwich City.

The 18-year-old midfielder is out of contract at Bolton this summer and has been linked with Tottenham, Southampton, Wolves, Burnley, Brighton, Rangers and Norwich in recent weeks.

It's understood Connell is looking to play regular first-team football after showing promise during 10 Championship appearances for crisis club Bolton this season, who were relegated.

Asked about his future, he said: "I don't know, I'm leaving that down to my agent. Hopefully he's sorting that out while I'm away, seeing what's about and what he thinks is best for me."

Connell has been drafted into the Republic's week-long training camp in Portugal at the last minute, ahead of Euro 2020 qualifiers with Denmark and Gibraltar, although isn't expected to remain for those games.

Previously the Liverpool-born youngster has played alongside Canaries academy star Adam Idah at youth levels for Ireland, including the U17 European Championship last summer - who has been called up for U21 action at the Toulon Tournament this summer.

He made the breakthrough during the second half of this season at Bolton, making eight starts in a defensive midfield role, getting his first taste of senior action during a difficult time for his club.

It's understood the teen's desire to continue playing first-team football leaves City having to persuade Connell of their plans for his future, amid plans to significantly strengthen the club's U23 squad following promotion to the Premier League, investing in players who are good enough to go out on loan to the Championship or League One.

He continued: "It's been a tough season for the club, the players, the staff, the fans, tough all around. But it's been a good season for me personally.

"I've experience in the Championship and I'm grateful to the gaffer (Phil Parkinson) for giving me the chance."

Connell found out about his Ireland training camp call-up when his father, Andrew, received a call from manager Mick McCarthy at the weekend.

Talking to PA Sport, he continued: "It was only Sunday night the gaffer rang my dad and said he'd be interested, had heard a lot about me, hadn't seen me live yet, but he's looking forward to seeing me, so I can't wait to get on the pitch.

"To be honest, I didn't know what to do. It's one of those ones, I was confused and it didn't really sink in until I was on the plane that I was actually coming over to meet the first-team squad."

Connell, who has played at age group level for Ireland, but is also qualified to represent the country of his birth - there has been speculation that he is being monitored by the England set-up - admitted it was "surreal" to walk into the team hotel to meet McCarthy, assistants Terry Connor and Robbie Keane and the rest of the players.

However, there was one man whose acquaintance he was particularly keen to make.

He said: "It's crazy, it's surreal to be honest, especially Seamus Coleman. Being from Liverpool and supporting Everton and supporting him through everything, it's brilliant for me.

"I spoke to Seamus last night, he welcomed me in. Being the skipper, that's part of his job as well, isn't it? But he's a lovely, lovely fella. I can't thank him enough for welcoming me in."

Former Ipswich boss McCarthy is only intending to include Connell in his training squad for now but said: "He knows he's coming in for the week in Portugal - unless he rips it up, of course and he's top man every day, who knows?"

LINK

Liverpool winger to sign five-year deal before joining Steven Gerrard at Rangers

LIVERPOOL winger Sheyi Ojo is set to sign a five-year deal before immediately joining Rangers on loan.

Ojo spent this season on loan at French side Stade Reims but he struggled to make an impact.

The 21-year-old started just three times in Ligue 1, with his playing time limited to cameos off the bench.

Ojo has been at Liverpool since 2011 and he’s highly rated by the staff at Anfield.

And Starsport understands he’s set to be rewarded with a new five-year deal.

Liverpool understand his need for regular minutes and after signing fresh terms, he’ll link up with club legend Steven Gerrard at Rangers.

The Glasgow giants are keen for summer reinforcements as they plot to challenge fierce rivals Celtic for the title.

Gerrard is once again ready to use his connections on Merseyside for transfer favours.

The Gers boss brought in Ryan Kent and Ovie Ejaria last summer.

And while he’s keen to have Kent back again, the winger is expected to move elsewhere.

Ojo would likely fill his team-mate’s shoes at Ibrox.

And he won’t be the only exit at Liverpool, with Steve Nicol predicting six key first-team stars to leave.

He told ESPN FC: “I would suggest that (Divock) Origi has to go from a personal point of view, from a Liverpool point of view they can’t let him go until they have a replacement because they are pretty thin on the ground when it comes to front players.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/780766/Liverpool-transfer-news-Sheyi-Ojo-Steven-Gerrard-Rangers

33 minutes ago, buster. said:

A winger from Liverpool sounds like the result of negotiations between the clubs on Kent.

You ain't getting Kent again but you can have Ojo

or due to an unsuccessful spell in france this year they see how much Kent has come on and fancy doing the same thing with Ojo along with Kent :D.  

Looking as if they want to cash in on Kent at a price out of our comfort zone but retain Ojo long term. And all the signs appear to be that he has something special. Liverpool payed a fee believed to be around £2 million for him almost 8 years ago when he was only 14.

Ojo joined MK Dons' academy when he was 10 years old. By the age of 13, he had played for the Dons' U18 side and was training with the first team squad. During his time at the club, Ojo became the first MK Dons trainee to receive an international cap at youth level.

On 11 November 2011, Liverpool beat off competition from a host of Europe's top clubs including a multi million-pound offer from Chelsea to sign Ojo, then 14, for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of £2 million. In April 2014, Ojo was joint top scorer alongside fellow Liverpool player Harry Wilson in the prestigious U17 Future Cup.

Edited by JFK-1

I'm very skeptical of rumours at this stage, it's very early for anything to get to the final stage.

From what I can glean though Ojo would be a great addition. If there's any truth in us moving for him I'd suggest Liverpool have named a price and we've walked away from Kent. Kent's stock is high and now is the perfect time to cash in on him.

Window opens on July 1st.

Wee sidenote from the article above ... player out of contract at Liverpool at the end of the season:

Daniel Sturridge (29)

James Milner (33)

Connor Randall (23, RB)

Alberto Morena (26, LB)

Probably all on silly wages.

As for Sheyi Ojo, he`s been in France and for all the nifty goals and assists above, he played 19 games and has a goal and an assist to his name from that journey.

TM says he`s out of contract at the end of the season (the report above suggests that he is to sign a new deal), so who knows.

Seyi Ojo at TM

He could be another Ejaria, doing well in Europe and some Premiership games, but ultimately not built(up for this league. Or another Kent, who took his time but adapted and grabbed the chance he was given.

I`m not so sure whether we should lay too much weight on talented loanees this summers, guys who have to find their feet in the game AS WELL as at a club like Rangers and in our current hammerthrowing environment. Granted, most players will have to adapt to the demands at Ibrox and we still have quite a few in every position able to handle that. When we start looking for that extra bit of quality, I would hope it is "experienced" quality.

Edited by der Berliner

Update from FF regarding Sheyi Ojo:

DocStone

This is happening, don't know what it means with regards Kent so no point asking (but you still will, you always do, lol). Deal was all but done on the day of the ******s game, so should be over the line now, will let you know more if and when I can.

(Before you ask, DocStone is one of the most accurate ITK guys out there.)