The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I believe SG’s job just got a lot easier today following their appointment of Lennon. 

I’m genuinely surprised.

I really did expect them to go for a big name. I was dreading them getting someone like Rafa Benitez

Neil Benitez Mourinho Martinez Lennon is quite a big name.?

7 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I believe SG’s job just got a lot easier today following their appointment of Lennon. 

I’m genuinely surprised.

I really did expect them to go for a big name. I was dreading them getting someone like Rafa Benitez

8 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’m genuinely surprised.

Agreed.

If Lennon is confirmed you have to say it sends various messages.

• Real ambition isn't there, eg. "we are a Champions League Team" quote will be mocked by their own support
  • Reality for Scottish clubs is that financial marginalisation is gathering pace and little prospect of avoiding it in short to medium term
  • Post Rodgers/Summer2018/lack of spend/inner turmoil........... Days when Biscuit Tin sees daylight* seem to be confirmed as minimum (pending summer transfer window numbers)
  • Their Board are taking a big risk regards their own positions, eg. they are in second place come the next AGM.
  • If we could win 55th then watch their ST numbers drop like a stone for 20/21

* You have to qualify that and say that wage bill is relatively high

----------------------------

I think it would also increase the need for us to take the opportunity and win it next season.

That might mean significant financial risk for ourselves.

I'd caution against too much celebration of this,... Cautious optimism is about right.

Obviously, you have to see what happens in recruitment for both sides.

Then it's about us putting a side together and actually consistently winning more games of football than them.

2019/20 is going to be for extremely high stakes.

Edited by buster.

10 hours ago, DMAA said:

Are you allowed to say, or is it a Gray area?

in all seriousness, I don’t understand how that one could possibly happen. Buzzing to see what happens but I expect a couple of quiet weeks before we start to see players signing. 

giphy.gif

I agree: I don't see it happening. He's knocking on the door of the England National side. 

On 25/05/2019 at 19:37, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Said all along that I think Gray is a stretch, but happy we are shopping in that area 

I still believe that the marquee signing will happen but only my thoughts 

Ojo is done or as close to it & I think Edmundson will come also 

An older CB will follow 

Interestingly Ojo mentioned on his Twitter about the growth he had made whilst being on loan the last season or two and said “next season”.... this tweet was “liked” by Michael Beale 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Ojo is happening by all accounts. From the YouTube compilation I think he looks a better player than Kent. 

I reckon any player to whom Liverpool recruit and later give a long contract extension, is bound to have a lot of ability or at least spades of potential.

For such a loan to come up to Rangers and be successful requires much more than the ability and we won't know if he has what it takes until he has shown us on the park and done it reasonably consistently.

To ask youngsters on loan to be up to the particular challenge of playing for Rangers at this juncture is an outside bet.

For every success you'll have at least a handful of failures.

Then you have to look at developing your own players (eg. Hastie, Middleton, etc) and not holding them back just to curry favour/comply with loan contracts from parent clubs. How many of our own projects do we need to produce a success, I'd say no less than the loan player hit-rate.

Then consider 'the pathway' for our own youngsters (eg. McCrorie, McPake, etc.), aswell as the business side of buying low and selling high into the mix......I'd want to keep loans to a minimum.

Edited by buster.

23 hours ago, buster. said:

just to curry favour/comply with loan contracts from parent clubs

Good post that sums up how most fans feel I think. This is the bit that worries me though, it seems that clauses of some sort are non-negotiable now. Many have forgotten now that Ejaria was undroppable while he was here. Personally I wasn't happy that Kent was undroppable during the busy spell of the season too. A full 90 minutes 7 times in a month was unnecessary with a Middleton who had started the season very strongly on the bench and who had racked up goals and assists very quickly. There was no squad rotation. I suspect Gerrard will restrict himself to one loan this season and it will be a player who he has a lot of faith in (Ojo it seems).

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

Good post that sums up how most fans feel I think. This is the bit that worries me though, it seems that clauses of some sort are non-negotiable now. Many have forgotten now that Ejaria was undroppable while he was here. Personally I wasn't happy that Kent was undroppable during the busy spell of the season too. A full 90 minutes 7 times in a month was unnecessary with a Middleton who had started the season very strongly on the bench and who had racked up goals and assists very quickly. There was no squad rotation. I suspect Gerrard will restrict himself to one loan this season and it will be a player who he has a lot of faith in (Ojo it seems).

Signings and loan deals are similar in the respect that some will work and others won't.

Ideally, you would restrict the number of both to only the ones that'll work for you,...the obvious problem is a lack of a crystal ball.

SG knew about the Liverpool players who came on loan last season but one worked very well and the other fell off the rails after a run of inconsistent performances (although his goal in Ufa was very valuable).

Perhaps we haven't quite reached the stage of having development players at a level to go into the first team but until this pathway starts to be trodden on a reasonably regular basis, the relative success of celebrated youth trophies rings hollow.

At the same time, Gerrard has to deal with the pressure of the particular circumstances in front of him and pick eleven players who can consistently win games of football. 

The other issue you have with loan players who seem to find it easier to get a start is that it can't be good for the dressing room dynamic.

One of the most important characteristics of a winning side is that the dressing room is together and too many players on loan will tend to dilute this.

--------------------

Coulibally

Ejaria

Kent

Sadiq

Worrell

Davis

Defoe

Looking at last years list and considering that our own youth development is a year further down the track, I'd try and restrict it to 2 loans maximum. Note that Davis and Defoe didn't work for what they were brought in for either, ie. they were brought in to help title challenge.