The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Signings and loan deals are similar in the respect that some will work and others won't.

Ideally, you would restrict the number of both to only the ones that'll work for you,...the obvious problem is a lack of a crystal ball.

SG knew about the Liverpool players who came on loan last season but one worked very well and the other fell off the rails after a run of inconsistent performances (although his goal in Ufa was very valuable).

Perhaps we haven't quite reached the stage of having development players at a level to go into the first team but until this pathway starts to be trodden on a reasonably regular basis, the relative success of celebrated youth trophies rings hollow.

At the same time, Gerrard has to deal with the pressure of the particular circumstances in front of him and pick eleven players who can consistently win games of football. 

The other issue you have with loan players who seem to find it easier to get a start is that it can't be good for the dressing room dynamic.

One of the most important characteristics of a winning side is that the dressing room is together and too many players on loan will tend to dilute this.

--------------------

Coulibally

Ejaria

Kent

Sadiq

Worrell

Davis

Defoe

Looking at last years list and considering that our own youth development is a year further down the track, I'd try and restrict it to 2 loans maximum. Note that Davis and Defoe didn't work for what they were brought in for either, ie. they were brought in to help title challenge.

I do appreciate your point about loans, but I don't think our players were good enough to dislodge the loan players.  In my opinion, Middleton just wasn't good enough to replace Kent, Katic was going through a real dip in form and so Worrel was quite rightly given the starting role, and earlier in the season, Coulibally and Ejaria were two of our best players so they couldn't be dropped either.

I would rather we developed our own players, but the best place to do this for the ones that aren't good enough is out on loan elsewhere, like we did with Docherty.  I'd personally take 11 loans for the first team next season if they were better than what we have.

Just now, Gaffer said:

I do appreciate your point about loans, but I don't think our players were good enough to dislodge the loan players.  In my opinion, Middleton just wasn't good enough to replace Kent, Katic was going through a real dip in form and so Worrel was quite rightly given the starting role, and earlier in the season, Coulibally and Ejaria were two of our best players so they couldn't be dropped either.

I would rather we developed our own players, but the best place to do this for the ones that aren't good enough is out on loan elsewhere, like we did with Docherty.  I'd personally take 11 loans for the first team next season if they were better than what we have.

I'd accept your point wrt Kent but not the others.

The others had their moments but quickly drifted into inconsistency that should have meant less starts IMO.

Docherty is the type of player I'd like to see in our squad next season rather than a Coulibally or an Ejaria.

I'm convinced we'll get more out of him #StuartMcCall2

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Perhaps we haven't quite reached the stage of having development players at a level to go into the first team but until this pathway starts to be trodden on a reasonably regular basis, the relative success of celebrated youth trophies rings hollow.

Absolutely. Our fans like to say ah it's easy for Hearts to play youth players, they don't have the pressure but we have to win everything. I think this is totally wrong. How much would Levein love to have the luxury of blooding youth players when he's coasting 3-0 up. Hearts are never in that position, almost every game could go either way for them and dropped points normally means dropping a position. We won 13 domestic games by at least 3 goals this season but the most appearances made by our youth players (bar Middleton) was 1 and my guess is that they were late substitutions. I think that is a very poor show indeed. 

Edit: And even Middleton himself should have seen far more game time in those circumstances

Edited by DMAA

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

...  Note that Davis and Defoe didn't work for what they were brought in for either, ie. they were brought in to help title challenge.

Ahem, that is very simplistic a view, don`t you think?

Steven Davis was signed in January, participated in 18 games, of which we lost three:

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 70 mins and assisted our goal

- Celtic away 1-2, he played 2 (as in two) mins

- Aberdeen home, cup 0-2, he played 10 (as in ten) mins.

We won 13 games and drew the rest. IF ANYTHING, we signed him too late! He assisted three goals.

Jermaine Defoe was signed in January, participated in 20 games, of which we lost four:

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 79 mins and scored our goal

- Celtic away 1-2, he played 7 (as in seven) mins

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 9 (as in nine) mins

- Aberdeen home, cup 0-2, he played 24 mins.

We won 13 games and drew the rest. IF ANYTHING, we signed him too late!  He has 8 goals and 7 assists to his name with us.

Snatched from FF

Rangers will table a third bid for Oldham defender George Edmundson. (Sun)

The Ibrox side will offer £500,000 for 21-year-old Edmundson after he handed in a transfer request. (Scotsman)

And Rangers have been linked with Nottingham Forest striker Karim Ansarifard. (Scotsman)

+ + +

Karim Ansarifad on TM  - and Iranian international striker who did quite well in Greece.

Edited by der Berliner

29 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Ahem, that is very simplistic a view, don`t you think?

Steven Davis was signed in January, participated in 18 games, of which we lost three:

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 70 mins and assisted our goal

- Celtic away 1-2, he played 2 (as in two) mins

- Aberdeen home, cup 0-2, he played 10 (as in ten) mins.

We won 13 games and drew the rest. IF ANYTHING, we signed him too late! He assisted three goals.

Jermaine Defoe was signed in January, participated in 20 games, of which we lost four:

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 79 mins and scored our goal

- Celtic away 1-2, he played 7 (as in seven) mins

- Kilmarnock away 1-2, he played 9 (as in nine) mins

- Aberdeen home, cup 0-2, he played 24 mins.

We won 13 games and drew the rest. IF ANYTHING, we signed him too late!  He has 8 goals and 7 assists to his name with us.

They failed wrt what they were initially brought in for, period. 

I'd go further and say signing Davis to immediately fill the void we had regards a creative midfield was a bad error of judgement.

ie. the blame was more at a recruitment level (and manager for selecting both @ Killie) than the players themselves.

Yes, you can then make an argument that they have since played a significant part and may well be excellent players for next season.

The club obviously think Greg Stewart can do a job for us.

Why didn't we make an effort to bring him in on loan in January ?

A time when we desperately needed a number 10 option who was considered good enough.

It would have also given us an idea if he was worth giving a contract to for 19/20.

Edited by buster.

Greg Stewart ahead of Steven Davis?  We knew that Davis could handle our club and what he can do. Stewart will be an experienced but in terms of Rangers FC untried property. Since we refering to a time at Killie, where he was great, he did not play "10" but CF in 14 out of 16 games. Perhaps he excelled as scorer and assist giver in that role soe people saw a "10" in him, but that`s not the case. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but IMHO, Davis worked out quite well, as did Defoe. If anything, we failed to adopt a different formation to tackle certain opposition teams. Obviously, just MHO.

Greg Stewart at Killie

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Greg Stewart ahead of Steven Davis?  We knew that Davis could handle our club and what he can do. Stewart will be an experienced but in terms of Rangers FC untried property. Since we refering to a time at Killie, where he was great, he did not play "10" but CF in 14 out of 16 games. Perhaps he excelled as scorer and assist giver in that role soe people saw a 10 in him, but that`s not the case. Hindisght is a wonderful thing, but IMHO, Davis worked out quite well, as did Defoe. If anything, we failed to adopt a different formation to tackle certain opposition teams.

Greg Stewart at Killie

It didn't have to be Stewart or Davis

Why not both ?

If the sheep could afford him on loan, don't tell me cost was an issue.

The more relevant is Davis at Killie !

It wasn't hindsight.

I said that you can't play both Defoe and Davis in the Killie match thread prior to KO.

I said that only if SG had seen SD to be ready in training, should he be considered....and he was obviously quite a way off the pace.

Edited by buster.

10 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Since we refering to a time at Killie, where he was great, he did not play "10" but CF in 14 out of 16 games. Perhaps he excelled as scorer and assist giver in that role

He wasn't a centre forward. Kilmarnock played a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 as far as I am aware with a front three of Jordan Jones, Eomann Brophy and Greg Stewart. 

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

He wasn't a centre forward. Kilmarnock played a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 as far as I am aware with a front three of Jordan Jones, Eomann Brophy and Greg Stewart. 

During the first half of the season, the line-up of Killie has been documented as well ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kilmarnock-fc/spielplan/verein/2553/saison_id/2018

NB: Who knows what machinations were at work in January re Stewart. Likewise, whom would he have replaced in our starting line-up? Once Kamara, Jack and Davis clicked, there were not many able to replace either. The front line was essentially Morelos/Defoe plus Arfield and Kent/Candeias. HAD we switched to 3-5-2, 3-4-3 or the like, it might have been different.