The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

8 hours ago, pete said:

Ross McCrorie going out on loan with an option to buy. Shrewsbury and Portsmouth look like contenders.

I understand the loan part but i don't think we should be looking at cashing in on the boy.  I think he has plenty potential to come back and be a first teamer at some point.

It's a bit of a conundrum- is it better to be a bit-part player at Ibrox or get regular game time in the lower English leagues?  Hopefully Doherty will give us a positive answer.

Any news on a No.10 type player?  I still think we need one.

10 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

I understand the loan part but i don't think we should be looking at cashing in on the boy.  I think he has plenty potential to come back and be a first teamer at some point.

I think we all hoped he would have the required potential but although I've seen glimpses, I've not seen anything to suggest he can make it as a first team regular.  I like him, but if they're not good enough we need to move them on when we can get the money for them.  I know this will be an unpopular view but I don't see any of the current academy kids (over the age of 18) having what it takes, maybe with the exception of McPake.  I hope I'm wrong, but we just have to hope that the new model has a better success rate with our under 18s.

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's a bit of a conundrum- is it better to be a bit-part player at Ibrox or get regular game time in the lower English leagues?  Hopefully Doherty will give us a positive answer.

Any news on a No.10 type player?  I still think we need one.

If we are considering Shrewsbury as a loan destination for McCrorie it suggests the staff judge Docherty's time down there to have been successful but yes, the real test is how that shows on the field in games.

We desperately need to start improving more players and adding value.

We paid in the region of 600K for Docherty, you'd hope his value come the end of this season can be multiplied by a number around 10....That would be optimistic relative to what we are accustomed to but it's where we need to start aiming.

Edited by buster.

If, next summer, we announced the Bosman signing from Portsmouth of a young midfielder with ten under 21 caps we'd probably look at that as a decent bit of business. That's what McCrorie will be this time next year. As long as he can command a regular starting place it's a good move for him at this stage of his career. If he can't get into the Portsmouth side he won't be getting into ours anytime soon. I like McCrorie but he's a squad player currently and he needs game time. Good move all round I'd say. 

A bit surprising for me, I thought he would be quite key as a back up holding midfielder and centre half. But if he comes back a better player then so be it.

McCrorie has been immense the season before last. Under SG, he's came in every now and then, but what do we know about his progress in training et al? I reckon, as with many of our younger players, a club where he gets a lot of competitive games will help his development. The Portsmouth option-stuff is pretty normal, as - like we would do it - check out a promising youngster and if he "does a Kent", make sure we have a first-place buy option. How that is structured or whether it is an option for us is anyone`s guess. 

Saying that, the youngsters / reserves will play in a similar challenge format as they did in the season before last, rather than un-honing their skills against Scottish opposition. I think that will see them develop more and faster, even though they would need a season in the Scottish leagues to toughen themselves up against the diet of the Scottish physical game et al.