The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I think we're too slow to understand the transition that's taking place at Rangers. By and large, we will now trade players on two distinct levels.

On one level we will buy and bring in loan players who, on the basis of proven track record, we believe will improve the current playing squad.

On an entirely separate basis, albeit with occasional overlap, I believe we will now buy and raise players specifically for the purpose of generating income with which to operate the club.

I think we must have at least six players on board right now who are not earmarked as permanent first team players and we would probably need to revise sentiments like those being expressed about Ross McRorie. The days of regarding youth development as a conduit into our first team are over. Some may make it but most never will and, while they may be given an opportunity, neither will they be be expected to. I think Ross McRorie is one of these.

In the past we frequently discarded players for knock-down prices and regarded it as a failure of recruitment and development, making a loss in the process (Martin Bain's famous fire sales). It looks increasingly like we have moved into a more commercially professional regime, thanks mainly to Mark Allen, who I think is doing a magnificent job of bringing Rangers into the modern era and his work now will be paying dividends for years to come.

Edited by Bill

I've always liked McCrorie but he's struggled to get into the team so either he's not good enough or the manager doesn't rate him.

I hope he does well down south and we retain an option to take him back in the future.

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

either he's not good enough or the manager doesn't rate him.

He has shown the potential to be good enough, I think.  Being around the likes of Davis, Kamara and Arfield would surely be beneficial to a player at that stage of his career.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

He has shown the potential to be good enough, I think.  Being around the likes of Davis, Kamara and Arfield would surely be beneficial to a player at that stage of his career.

I'd have thought so but sometimes a manager just doesn't take to someone and this may be the case with Ross unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I think we're too slow to understand the transition that's taking place at Rangers. By and large, we will now trade players on two distinct levels.

On one level we will buy and bring in loan players who, on the basis of proven track record, we believe will improve the current playing squad.

On an entirely separate basis, albeit with occasional overlap, I believe we will now buy and raise players specifically for the purpose of generating income with which to operate the club.

I think we must have at least six players on board right now who are not earmarked as permanent first team players and we would probably need to revise sentiments like those being expressed about Ross McRorie. The days of regarding youth development as a conduit into our first team are over. Some may make it but most never will and, while they may be given an opportunity, neither will they be be expected to. I think Ross McRorie is one of these.

In the past we frequently discarded players for knock-down prices and regarded it as a failure of recruitment and development, making a loss in the process (Martin Bain's famous fire sales). It looks increasingly like we have moved into a more commercially professional regime, thanks mainly to Mark Allen, who I think is doing a magnificent job of bringing Rangers into the modern era and his work now will be paying dividends for years to come.

This ^^^ 100%.  Your point about using our youth system as a commercial angle rather than a conduit to the first team is excellent!

30 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'd have thought so but sometimes a manager just doesn't take to someone and this may be the case with Ross unfortunately.

I’ll be surprised if McRorie doesn’t do very well on his loan spell and returns a better player ... who will likely then be moved on. 

McCrorie also struggles to pin down his best position. I suspect we all see him as a defensive, holding midfielder, yet he played as a centre half almost exclusively until about 2 years ago. His height is a great asset, I think that's one of the reasons we always played him against Celtic. Protecting the defence and adding height when defending set pieces. Our midfield are quite small as are our forwards. When we play against a side with a six foot plus centre forward we're relying on someone like Tav or Arfield to mark him as the centre-halves pick up each other. 

Anyway, the story above linking Crystal Palace with Morelos is concerning. They've got money to spend and if they're also going to lose their most popular and arguably influential player to Arsenal they're in the market for a crowd pleasing forward or two. We're in no position to turn down £15 million, we'd struggle to turn away £10 million I think. 

Who do we replace him with if he goes?