The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Oxford, Marseille and St Josephs at home.

I did watch them on RTV but maybe wasn’t paying attention to shape. 

I do think adaptability is a strength but the 4-3-2-1 has served us so well it’s seems madness not to use it when we start our league campaign.  It makes better use of the abilities of Defoe, Arfield and Tavernier in particular. In fact it transforms the first two. Arfield is wasted in centre midfield and we don’t know how to use Defoe in a 4-3-3 he just looks isolated. 

The modern footballer has to be flexible these days. There is no such things as an old fashioned winger. They have to defend as well as attack, come inside as well as outside. As people say Candeias struggled against the 10 man defences. I think he still had a part to play but obviously Gerrard has given him a message that his game time will be reduced.  

12 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I did watch them on RTV but maybe wasn’t paying attention to shape. 

I do think adaptability is a strength but the 4-3-2-1 has served us so well it’s seems madness not to use it when we start our league campaign.  It makes better use of the abilities of Defoe, Arfield and Tavernier in particular. In fact it transforms the first two. Arfield is wasted in centre midfield and we don’t know how to use Defoe in a 4-3-3 he just looks isolated. 

I think it will depend on who we have on the pitch and who we're playing. It'll be good if we have the option of both formations.

14 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Previous managers seem to have got more out of him. 

Played -97 
Scored -14 
Assists -25 

1 goal in every 7 games and 1 assist every 4 games for a winger is a really poor return, hence SG has felt the need to buy wingers and allow DC to leave. Not sure the wingers we have brought in are going to be any better, but DC is unlikely to improve at his age, so a change is the correct option.

And here was me thinking we nominally played a 4-3-3, which aligned more like a 4-2-3-1, with Davis and Kamara/Jack being the "2" and "winger - attacking midfielder - winger" the three, though the "winger" could also just be a left/right-sided MF or another striker (Stewart).

You would hope that we adapt the line-up according to the players and opposition at hand, rather than focus on but one for most matches. The latter did not serve us well these last three seasons.

22 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

And here was me thinking we nominally played a 4-3-3, which aligned more like a 4-2-3-1, with Davis and Kamara/Jack being the "2" and "winger - attacking midfielder - winger" the three, though the "winger" could also just be a left/right-sided MF or another striker (Stewart).

You would hope that we adapt the line-up according to the players and opposition at hand, rather than focus on but one for most matches. The latter did not serve us well these last three seasons.

The 4-3-2-1 shape is something like this

Tav   -    Goldson   -  Helander  -  Barisic                        

Jack   -     Davis   -   Aribo

Arfield   -     Jones

Defoe

You still hear journalists saying “Arfield played well when he was moved wide” but when Gerrard was asked this at the end of last season in a press conference he immediately interjected “Arfield hasn’t been playing wide”. 

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

The first time I heard the £250K mentioned was from David Edgar around a week ago and presume that he got it from a source in the club. It won't be a million miles away from the final figure.

Tragic 

45 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The 4-3-2-1 shape is something like this

Tav   -    Goldson   -  Helander  -  Barisic                        

Jack   -     Davis   -   Aribo

Arfield   -     Jones

Defoe

You still hear journalists saying “Arfield played well when he was moved wide” but when Gerrard was asked this at the end of last season in a press conference he immediately interjected “Arfield hasn’t been playing wide”. 

The other thing to remember is that our formation is rarely symmetrical these days.  I think the reason there's confusion about whether it's 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 is because it's both.

In the games against Marseille and St Jo's at home, we played with width on the left side and narrow on the right.  We then changed this at half time to swap where the width was.  We tried this against Newcastle too but they had packed the midfield so tightly (after our goal) that neither worked with width so we then went very narrow.  The fact we can do this with each side operating almost independently of the other bodes we'll for us.  However it requires a lot of discipline defensively, especially on the side operating wide as it's too easy to be caught on the break on that side.  Newcastle spotted this and tried to play directly in behind Barisic.  Thankfully for us their passing wasn't so effective but against better opposition it will be and we will have to be prepared for this.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

1 goal in every 7 games and 1 assist every 4 games for a winger is a really poor return, hence SG has felt the need to buy wingers and allow DC to leave. Not sure the wingers we have brought in are going to be any better, but DC is unlikely to improve at his age, so a change is the correct option.

Lets not judge the contribution Candieas made by his goal and assist stats on there own but look at the right side stats as a whole by including Tavs. I suppose time will tell whether Candys contribution is missing.

In an attempt to get back on topic, Gerrard did say he'd probably look to replace Candeias.  I'm still hopeful we can get Kent and if we did I'm not sure we need anyone else.  If we don't get Kent, I'd be concerned unless we can replace Candeias with someone else.