The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

That's a shame because he had a poor game. His passing was poor, he gave away possession repeatedly and his crosses hit the first defender. I think he did gradually improve as the game wore on though.

Genuinely conflicted on what to do in the event of a bid for Morelos, I think Defoe is our best striker right now but what would the Morelos money even buy us? We've already built our squad now, the longer the transfer window goes on the less useful that money becomes. 

Last night reminded me that Tavernier has as many weaknesses as strengths. He's been good for us overall but it may be we've seen the best of him and need to move on. I'd happily accept a good offer.

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Last night reminded me that Tavernier has as many weaknesses as strengths. He's been good for us overall but it may be we've seen the best of him and need to move on. I'd happily accept a good offer.

It's funny you mention that because my brother suggested that to me the other day and I was much more aware of his effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) last night.  At many stages in the second half, Jack was almost playing as a right back to cover for Tav who had gone forward.  I'm really not a fan of crossing the ball and would much prefer that we cut the ball back in those positions.  Tav's tendency is to cross the ball early and often which is not very effective.  He's much better when he makes the runs and then cuts inside.  I felt we lost our momentum and shape by allowing Tav to operate further forward at the expense of Jack.  Jack is more of a threat than Tav now and I felt that was a tactical mistake last night.  No doubt the instruction is for Jack to cover if and when Tav goes forward, but it's happening too often and I've got a real problem with that.

Theres no doubt that Tav is a very good player for us but I don't think we rely on him the same now and because of that I'd also accept a decent offer for him if we got one.  I'd imagine he wants 55 with us before he'd want to go though, and I'd be equally fine with that.

41 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

One bad game and the knives are out for Tav. What he brings to the team can't be replaced. If we do sell him it'll need to be for a ridiculous amount. 

In the long history of our club there might have been some players who couldn’t be replaced but James Tavernier certainly isn’t one of them. As far as I’ve seen, no one at all has brought out knives for Tav but it’s indisputable that he’s prone to losing form and to making costly defensive errors. He has been vital for the team but the team is changing and we can no longer afford a fullback whose defensive duties require the constant cover of other positions. What he brings in terms of attacking will now largely be provided by others and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s been discussed with him already - hence his current apparent loss of confidence. 

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

In the long history of our club there might have been some players who couldn’t be replaced but James Tavernier certainly isn’t one of them. As far as I’ve seen, no one at all has brought out knives for Tav but it’s indisputable that he’s prone to losing form and to making costly defensive errors. He has been vital for the team but the team is changing and we can no longer afford a fullback whose defensive duties require the constant cover of other positions. What he brings in terms of attacking will now largely be provided by others and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s been discussed with him already - hence his current apparent loss of confidence. 

Let's not get carried away. The season has barely started, traditionally we would still be in pre-season right now. I know this is an opinion you've held for a long time but I think his strong performances will return when the league season starts. A reminder of the final assists standings from last season...

Assists
Tav - 20
Candeias - 10
Arfield - 7
Jack - 6
Kent - 6