The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Turkish newspaper saying that Skrtel is a possibility, why would need him?

The Skrtel rumour is like the Alan Smith rumour that always seemed to resurface during every transfer window. 

I find it hard to believe Morelos turned down £30m over 3 years. I even find it hard to believe we verbally accepted £15m in the context of McBurnie going for £20m

Sky Sport News: Alfredo Morelos has turned down a £30M move to Chinese Super League Club Heibei Fortune. 

The £30M relates to how much the player would earn, on a three year deal. Sky Sports suggest the Chinese Club were willing to match Rangers' valuation, believed to be in excess of £15M.

Sky Sports also stated that Morelos has until 5pm tonight (when the Chinese transfer window closes) to make the transfer happen.

I think the club needs the money, no matter how badly the team needs the players. With our merchandising income hobbled by SD and the European trough more and more difficult to access, we simply have to boost our income by whatever means is open to us - and right now that means selling our best players.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think the club needs the money, no matter how badly the team needs the players. With our merchandising income hobbled by SD and the European trough more and more difficult to access, we simply have to boost our income by whatever means is open to us - and right now that means selling our best players.

We don't know the exact financial details but the counter argument to that is that you have to speculate to accumulate. We might have a good chance at winning the league this season. The Champions League is the only real big money prize available to Rangers. Qualifying even one season would allow us to fast forward financially about 10 years. Getting to the groups isn't unachievable either, Celtic's route to the Champions League groups this season looks far easier than our route to the Europa League groups (depressing as that is).

Edited by DMAA

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

We don't know the exact financial details but the counter argument to that is that you have to speculate to accumulate. We might have a good chance at winning the league this season. The Champions League is the only real big money prize available to Rangers. Qualifying even one season would allow us to fast forward financially about 10 years. Getting to the groups isn't unachievable either, Celtic's route to the Champions League groups this season looks far easier than our route to the Europa League groups (depressing as that is).

We do know the financial details set out in the clubs annual accounts and they quite clearly demonstrate that without a significant player trading surplus we simply cannot pay our way. Where's the ambiguity in that?

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

We do know the financial details set out in the clubs annual accounts and they quite clearly demonstrate that without a significant player trading surplus we simply cannot pay our way. Where's the ambiguity in that?

I agree, but as above we appear to have a squad capable of winning the league and qualifying for the Champions League qualifiers. Qualifying for the groups is worth £60m last I heard. It's a case of speculating to accumulate unless our hands are tied. Sell Morelos (without an equally good replacement) and our league hope more or less die.

Edited by DMAA

5 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I agree, but as above we appear to have a squad capable of winning the league and qualifying for the Champions League qualifiers. Qualifying for the groups is worth £60 last I heard. It's a case of speculating to accumulate unless our hands are tied. Sell Morelos (without an equally good replacement) and our league hope more or less die.

Of all clubs, we should know the consequences of gambling with European income. Are you really suggesting we learn nothing from the past 8 years?

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Of all clubs, we should know the consequences of gambling with European income. Are you really suggesting we learn nothing from the past 8 years?

Far from it. I said "unless our hands are tied". If the board look at the numbers and decide we need a Morelos transfer fee now then so be it. If not then that asset will still be there in a year and if he is willing to stay we have a real shot at winning the league and opening the door to crucial revenue generation. Of course if Mark Allen and his scouts decide they have player lined up who will be just as good then that is another matter but that isn't likely.

Edited by DMAA

Scotsman now running the story, hope they’re just a bit behind the rest.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/rangers-target-close-to-joining-ibrox-side-has-told-inner-circle-move-is-imminent-1-4974382?utm_campaign=The Scotsman - Daily RSS&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=75213324&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8tZYIxXW6khTP5lqWvxQoZ8xXHASL1PztWdiyPu1o9xiA0QfJisXI51ihacVa6A9z3a3TST7Z6ySy4zA8ojjRCb2qfkg&_hsmi=75213324

Martin Skrtel has told close friends a move to Rangers is in the pipeline, according to reports in Turkey.

The 34-year-old's agent is understood to have held talks with the Ibrox side over a potential move, despite the Light Blues rubbishing the link last month. 

Could Steven Gerrard add further players to his squad?

Could Steven Gerrard add further players to his squad?

Speaking earlier in July, the former Liverpool defender confirmed there had been dialogue between his representatives and the club.

Speaking to Slovakian media outlets, Skrtel said: "My agent had interviews with Basaksehir, Fenerbahce, Parma, Olympiacos and Glasgow Rangers.

"But I can't say anything more for now."

Turkish publication Fotomac - whose chief editor yesterday revealed that Rangers hadn't given up on tempting Skrtel to Scotland - claims the Slovakian international is "close" to joining his former Anfield colleague Steven Gerrard in Glasgow.

Skrtel had been linked with a return to Turkish Super Lig side Fenerbahce, with whom he spent three years, but it is understood the club's sporting director Damien Comolli baulked at the veteran's wage demands.