The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I don't think Gerrard admitted a final end to the Kent pursuit. Among other things he said when questioned about the Kent deal was initially a somewhat irked retort of something like and 'what does that have to do with this match?'

I thought it was a total slapdown and he wasn't going to talk about it but he then said "Where we are right now, yes" meaning basically nothing more to say beyond that but he worded it in such a fashion that there could still be some twists to come.  

27 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think Gerrard admitted a final end to the Kent pursuit. Among other things he said when questioned about the Kent deal was initially a somewhat irked retort of something like and 'what does that have to do with this match?'

I thought it was a total slapdown and he wasn't going to talk about it but he then said "Where we are right now, yes" meaning basically nothing more to say beyond that but he worded it in such a fashion that there could still be some twists to come.  

I haven’t watched the interview but I think it’s pretty final. Both managers have said the loan is not on. Gerrard admitted he hasn’t even asked how much a permanent deal would be (that’ll shock a few). The word from Liverpool sources all summer has been that they want sales for their fringe players and that’s finally been confirmed. I think we’ve known for a while what the situation is and have moved on, it’s not like Gerrard will have been in the dark by Klopp. 

Edited by DMAA

55 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I haven’t watched the interview but I think it’s pretty final. Both managers have said the loan is not on. Gerrard admitted he hasn’t even asked how much a permanent deal would be (that’ll shock a few). The word from Liverpool sources all summer has been that they want sales for their fringe players and that’s finally been confirmed. I think we’ve known for a while what the situation is and have moved on, it’s not like Gerrard will have been in the dark by Klopp. 

You may be right but watching it I thought I could see room for different interpretations of what he said and how he presented it.

His irritation about being questioned on Kent in a pre match presser can't have been simply because Kent was one he really wanted for this crucial season and that there was now no chance of it happening.

I feel he may have been irritated because he still hasn't given up on Kent and didn't want to talk about this at a delicate stage of what is for him still an active objective.

What he then said came across to me as merely politely respecting Liverpool's current public stance on Kent.  If they say that sale for 8 figures is the only option then he respects that. That would put Rangers out of it he agrees. But that simply cannot be the only the only possible end result in this long drawn out saga. 

There's now little more than a week to go for a resolution while throughout the entire pre season Kent has  apparently been sprinkling little hints around regarding his desires for next season all of which included being at Rangers one way or another.

One way it's now being conceded isn't a possibility for Rangers so the only way Kent could be at Rangers is by another way.

Yes Gerrard is respecting what Liverpool say is their stance but what's next if they have a player on their hands for whom they still have no offers matching their valuation regarding which i'm unaware of any offers far less offers into the 8 figures they're reportedly asking. 

There is now only a week for Liverpool to resolve this but let's say that no one even matches their valuation what next for Kent? What are they going to do with a young player they're trying to punt for 8 figures?

They have nothing below that first team he isn't going to get into where they can rationally put a player like that without either potentially hindering his development or at best stalling it when can then damage that 8 figure sum which is their desired end point.

The best possible solution is obviously to give him what he wants for this season, let Rangers increase his value again then punt his rebellious arse next season for even more money.

For the above reasons I think there may still be some twists left in this 

Liverpool stated a few days ago they value Kent at around £10m.  They've also stated they're looking to sell him.

If Gerrard wants to bring in another wide attacker, he should look elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

I suspect come Aug 31 if he hasn't been sold liverpool may change their mind. 

Have to alter the stance at some stage if it continues running on as it has.