The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

4 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

Very Strong rumours of a move for Max Lowe again ..... 

be interesting to see how true that is 

Was impressed with him last season but is he really going to be an upgrade?

And we shouldn't buy another left back unless we sell one of the existing ones first.

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Was impressed with him last season but is he really going to be an upgrade?

And we shouldn't buy another left back unless we sell one of the existing ones first.

I think we need a Left Back 

No idea how true this is or how good he is - was just sharing for the class ?

It’s just speculation 

1 minute ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

I think we need a Left Back 

No idea how true this is or how good he is - was just sharing for the class ?

It’s just speculation 

FWIW, I have serious doubts over Barisic but would give him until January now.  Let's keep him in the team and ensure a serious run of games to see what he can do.  No more excuses if he doesn't perform in this period.

I don't see the point of bringing in Max Lowe instead unless a deal is done for Barisic and/or Halliday/Flanagan first.  The squad is far too big and we need to be moving folk on before we add to it.  I'm sure lads like Holt, Grezda and Dodoo will move on soon enough but another quality attacking player should be our priority as it stands.

22 hours ago, Frankie said:

FWIW, I have serious doubts over Barisic but would give him until January now.  Let's keep him in the team and ensure a serious run of games to see what he can do.  No more excuses if he doesn't perform in this period.

I don't see the point of bringing in Max Lowe instead unless a deal is done for Barisic and/or Halliday/Flanagan first.  The squad is far too big and we need to be moving folk on before we add to it.  I'm sure lads like Holt, Grezda and Dodoo will move on soon enough but another quality attacking player should be our priority as it stands.

My thoughts exactly. It's impossible to judge Lowe from displays against us but he's not exactly that dissimilar to Barisic, prefers to play as a winger and not the strongest defensively.

In terms of Barisic, I like the idea of him more than what is often the reality. He's fast and wants to get to the byline and is an excellent crosser but my word he looks nervous on the ball. Always played the boring, safe pass backwards at Killie and most of pre-season. Starting to worry me now because I was optimistic on him and expected to see a rejuvenated player after pre-season. The raw ingredients of a good player seem to be there but time is running out for him to find some confidence.

Edited by DMAA

Barasic is an enigma.

He hardly (if ever) goes past the last man to cross the ball and he just pings the same diagonal ball in over and over again.

It's frustrating as he's clearly a player, from watching him play for Osijek or Croatia.

Those he does ping in are usually dangerous, but against Killie he was hardly doing it. Since he often played the ball inside, he was "easily" sussed out by their defenders. 

He sure has the ability to put in crosses from the half-field or whip in a decent corner or free-kick ... but thus far this season he hasn't got going. Probably better to be used in more open games.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Those he does ping in are usually dangerous, but against Killie he was hardly doing it. Since he often played the ball inside, he was "easily" sussed out by their defenders. 

He sure has the ability to put in crosses from the half-field or whip in a decent corner or free-kick ... but thus far this season he hasn't got going. Probably better to be used in more open games.

Is this a rumours thread or the match thread ? ;)

On 05/08/2019 at 12:02, Frankie said:

Do you really think that Barisic can improve because so far there has been evidence of that to date.  When he receives the ball, if there is a defender in front of him his standard reaction is to pass inside to Niko or one of the midfielders.  You very rarely see him taking a defender on or cutting inside.  It may be just lack of confidence preventing the former but I have my doubts that this is the case.  I feel he is very one footed and is probably weak on the right hand side and that partly explains why he is reluctant to cut inside.  If we are to get the best out of Barisic offensively then he needs to receive the ball when he is ahead of the last defender and can cross the ball in; so far this has not happened.  He does make runs down the wing that takes defenders away from the Rangers player who is wide and this at least helps create more space but is that enough to justify being our first choice at left back.

Lastly, defensively he has been caught wanting on a few occasions and seems reluctant to physically dominate the opposing winger.

No, I generally agree with your thoughts but I do believe low confidence is making his faults worse than they are. 

We've seen him play well and come inside previously (Pittodrie last season when Morelos scored) so he can do it. 

Like I say, let's give him a proper run of games.