The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

13 hours ago, DMAA said:

Someone must be! Currently we have 7 first team players who can play in these 3 positions. Aribo, Davis, Jack and then Kamara as the first backup and Docherty the second backup. Halliday and Polster offer emergency cover only and primarily cover full back. I thought that was just right in terms of cover. If Andy King comes in where does he end up in the pecking order? Surely he doesn’t jump ahead of Kamara but how about Docherty? King is 30 and is currently on 38k and missed the second the second half of last season due to injury. I don’t get it. He can’t be fit enough to jump ahead of Docherty surely, but how much of his 38k wages are we paying if he’s 6th choice? Not sure how happy I am about him jumping Kamara or Docherty in the line. A lot of questions to be answered here. 

SG said yesterday at the presser that he has 5 midfield players, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Docherty & Kamara so would ideally like one more. That tells Halliday, Polster and all the youngsters trying to break through that they have absolutely no chance. Bringing King in is so utterly pointless (no resale value, big wages, not better than current players) and goes against everything SG has said about a pathway to the first team for our development squad.

29 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

SG said yesterday at the presser that he has 5 midfield players, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Docherty & Kamara so would ideally like one more. That tells Halliday, Polster and all the youngsters trying to break through that they have absolutely no chance. Bringing King in is so utterly pointless (no resale value, big wages, not better than current players) and goes against everything SG has said about a pathway to the first team for our development squad.

What it tells Halliday, Pollster and the youngsters is that they aren't good enough for our midfield currently and that at Rangers we don't accept mediocrity.  If we need to, we can go out and bring in better players so either improve or don't expect to get a game.  I don't think Halliday or Pollster had any inclination anyway that they'd be good enough for the midfield.  They are backup wingbacks.

Our youngsters need to recalibrate their ideas as to what it takes to make it at Rangers now.  We are on the rise again and if they want to be in our first team, they have to now work even harder to get there.

Gerrard has always said that if they're good enough they are old enough.  There is a pathway for anyone who is good enough.  The simple fact is that they are not yet.

Is there a central midfielder coming through the ranks currently that could challenge for a place? Barjonas looked like he might be good enough but it seems clear Gerrard doesn't agree and he'll be away if someone comes in for him and McCrorie is already out on loan. 

The one I'm waiting to hear about is Zak Rudden. We're short upfront, I don't think we can rely on Defoe and Morelos alone all season, and I wonder if our management team view Rudden as a third choice striker. If we qualify for the Europa League and do well in the cups we'll play a lot of games, whoever our 3rd choice forward is they'll get game time, then it's up to them to hold the position. 

13 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Barjonas looked like he might be good enough but it seems clear Gerrard doesn't agree and he'll be away if someone comes in for him and McCrorie is already out on loan. 

I feel sorry for the young lads.  Barjonas and McCrorie both did reasonably well when they played.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I feel sorry for the young lads.  Barjonas and McCrorie both did reasonably well when they played.

I notice McCrorie didn't play for Portsmouth at weekend. He really needs to have a good season at that level to have any chance of making our first team. 

Barjonas didn't take his chances on loan last season, I don't know if he was injured or just not picked but he struggled first at Bury (a team in chaos to be fair) and then at Raith Rovers. Why he's been unable to push on from his early promise is the eternal question for so many young Rangers players. Barjonas is 20 now and he's only played about 20 first team matches. He needs regular first team football at some level to develop. That's why I'm relaxed about Middleton going to Hibs. If he can break into their first team and stay in it he comes back to us a much more rounded and experienced player. If he doesn't then we know he's not going to make it. Either way let him make his mistakes in Hibs first team. 

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we should scrap our youth system and simply concentrate on our first team squad. Indeed I'd actually ban all professional football teams from having youth academies. 

6 hours ago, Gazza_8 said:

According to a Celtic supporting mate of mine, Rodgers is sending King, sorry 'Agent King' to Rangers to disrupt us and cause unrest. 

And Gerrard is that daft not to see that within 5 minutes. Aye right! And King is going to be faithful to Rodgers after he booted him out. Aye double right!

15 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I notice McCrorie didn't play for Portsmouth at weekend. He really needs to have a good season at that level to have any chance of making our first team. 

Was he not suspended having been red carded the previous week?

Sam Wallace‏Verifizierter Account @SamWallaceTel

Telegraph

Leicester City midfielder Andy King has completed his loan move to Rangers. Season-long loan to Scottish Premiership with January break clause, as standard in these deals