The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I agree, the euphoria about re-signing Kent seems to be based on him being good looking rather than anything else. Ojo has already scored more goals than Kent did last year. Never worth 7 million, to us anyway..

19 minutes ago, 917 said:

I agree, the euphoria about re-signing Kent seems to be based on him being good looking rather than anything else. Ojo has already scored more goals than Kent did last year. Never worth 7 million, to us anyway..

giphy.gif

Liverpool sticking to their guns and not willing to loan Ryan Kent to Rangers

Liverpool will not budge on their stance over Ryan Kent and the winger will not be allowed to join Rangers on loan.

Reports in Scotland suggested the 22-year-old, whose solitary first-team appearance for the Reds came in an FA Cup tie in January 2016, was prepared to try to force a move back to Ibrox, where he had a successful spell last season.

However, Liverpool’s position has been clear from the start of the summer in that they see no value for them or the player in allowing him to return on loan and that will not change.

The club’s preference is to sell last season’s Scottish young player of the year and they are looking for something in the region of £7million – a figure Rangers boss and former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard cannot meet.

Manager Jurgen Klopp last month outlined the Merseyside club’s reasoning, saying: “Going back? If Rangers can buy him. The time is over giving him on loan.

“At a specific age, a player needs to find a place to settle and stuff like this. A loan is not planned.”

The PA news agency understands, despite claims Kent may “down tools” at Liverpool to force through a move, that the winger’s behaviour has been exemplary.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/liverpool-sticking-to-their-guns-and-not-willing-to-loan-ryan-kent-to-rangers/

“At a specific age, a player needs to find a place to settle and stuff like this. A loan is not planned.”

All fair and well, IF someone comes and pays the price. It seems that no-one from England came forward with a - to all parties concerned - suitable offer, nor has come someone of late. Maybe there still is interest in Europe, but 7m is rather hefty a fee.

Cometh the end of the window, what would be Liverpool's plan then? Stick him in the u23s and let him run down his contract, get him out of form and thus devalue him? Not what I would think Klopp would be looking at favourably.

Maybe they think Kent will "come to his senses", once a potential buyer happens by. But I wonder what their plans will be when the transfer window is coming to an end?

EDIT: How comes "age" into play when Bayern loans a 27-year old Coutinho for Euro 8.5m with a Euro 120m buy option ...

Edited by der Berliner

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

So why do we need Kent? Even if he is desperate to play for us.

What I have been hearing is that for whatever reason the manager is desperate to land him. If that's the case I have to bow to his superior footballing knowledge.

9 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

He might buy a few thousand shares from his own pocket and invest the money into him ...

Steven Gerrard is an English footballer who has a net worth of £75 million.

I know Kent's assist and goal tally isn't high, but I think he'd be exactly what we need as the final piece in the jigsaw.  I know Jones has played well in a couple of games but I still have my doubts in some of the tougher games.  Kent is more suited to these in my opinion and showed it in the final 10 games of last season.  Him, OJo and Morelos up front would be a nightmare for any team to face.  I know Kent will cost a lot of money but I'm desperate for us to sign him because I really do believe he can be key to us winning the league this season.  Kent never had an Aribo type of player to link with and to have two such skilful players on that side would work well in breaking down tough defences.  I suspect as others have said that if we qualify we have a chance of Kent signing and if we don't, there's little to no chance.