The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

People need to realise it is 2019 not 2009 - £7m in not a lot of money for a player who is highly rated down south.

I also like to think the board are structuring the deal in a way that does not financially stretch us.

True...in today's market 7M really isn't a lot of money, down south. As for highly rated...why hasn't he been snapped up at such a cheap rate?

I think you mean to say highly rated by Rangers. Not that this is bad but let's be honest here. Not a bad player, a lot of upside...but 7M from Rangers? I don't know man.

I think this is a big impulse buy after an EXTREMELY embarrassing performance. 

57 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

People need to realise it is 2019 not 2009 - £7m in not a lot of money for a player who is highly rated down south.

The point is that it is a lot of money to us. In fact you can go back 25-30 years and the fees involved haven't really changed much if an EPL club aren't involved. £4m for Duncan Ferguson from Dundee United in 1993, £2.6m for David McPherson and £2m for McLaren from Hearts. More than a decade later we picked up Kris Boyd for 500k and Naismith, Whittaker etc for pretty modest fees too. Another 12 years later and Celtic are signing a young Scottish International from Kilmarnock just now for a similar fee, about £2m. For our whole league the total transfer fee ins and outs are down since the 90s despite inflation (bar the odd big sale like Tierney). In fact the ins and outs are pretty much zero for most clubs but were in the millions for many in the 90s. The English Championship also doesn't have nearly as much money as people up here think, most have a very low net spend and lots actually have a minus net spend due to sales to the EPL. If £7m wasn't much in today's money I think someone would have taken a punt on him but it's still a lot of money to anyone outside the EPL in the UK and certainly for us.

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

No doubt we need a player than can provide an attacking spark - just a pity it wasn't done before now.  £5m+ is a risk but the lad is a good player and is a known quantity.

Very important we move other players on as well today as our squad is far too big - Europa League cash or not.

Given that we know a lot about him I think that the only risk remaining is that he becomes injury prone.

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

Maybe he turned them down?. 

There have been suggestions that he turned down other potential moves which seems plausible. He made it clear from the beginning that Rangers were what he wanted. 

4 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Given that we know a lot about him I think that the only risk remaining is that he becomes injury prone.

The risk is that he doesn't prove to be good value for money. £5-7m is a huge sum of money for us and he needs to prove he can improve his end product to live up to such a bank breaking fee. 

Just now, DMAA said:

The risk is that he doesn't prove to be good value for money. £5-7m is a huge sum of money for us and he needs to prove he can improve his end product to live up to such a bank breaking fee. 

Safe to say I don't have any doubts about that.

32 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Safe to say I don't have any doubts about that.

He is low risk in terms of settling in and the British style of football. I wonder if Gerrard’s decided he couldn’t afford another risk this season.