The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Kent really needs to step up his game this season. A hugely over value transfer fee of £6.5M with add ons and no doubt a massive wage to go with it means there are no longer any excuses for one good performance in 3, he has to nail it 9 out of ten as we are paying for a finished product not a work in progress. 

The signings of Ojo and Barker are completely wasteful now and both need to be released in Jan. 

With Dodoo, Dorrans & Holt all going out the door we have probably broke even with Kent’s wages so we have failed to reduce our wage budget at all in this last month which worries me greatly. 

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

20% of any profit made on a transfer fee.

Who says we will ever sell him anyway?

Where did you see that? It was only an article I got the 25% from so not an authoritative source but a sell on fee of some kind has been widely reported. 

12 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If Kent was the finished product and delivering 9/10 performances every week he'd have cost us £65m, not £6.5m

Hmm, I don't think so. To put the transfer fee in perspective it's more than the rest of our starting 11 combined. In fact if you put Edmundson on the bench instead of Helander it would be more than the rest of the 16 man squad combined by my count. So we have signed a lot of good players for not very much up until now. The fees reported have been £7m and £7.5m I haven't heard £6.5m. There are a lot of positives from this signing and he will give us a boost on the field but a fee like that was always going to cause a bit of concern for some of us given he's a pretty divisive player and has only returned the starting 11 to exactly where it was last season except maybe Aribo stepping in for Kamara ?

13 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Hmm, I don't think so. To put the transfer fee in perspective it's more than the rest of our starting 11 combined. In fact if you put Edmundson on the bench instead of Helander it would be more than the rest of the 16 man squad combined by my count. So we have signed a lot of good players for not very much up until now. The fees reported have been £7m and £7.5m I haven't heard £6.5m. There are a lot of positives from this signing and he will give us a boost on the field but a fee like that was always going to cause a bit of concern for some of us given he's a pretty divisive player and has only returned the starting 11 to exactly where it was last season except maybe Aribo stepping in for Kamara ?

Helander cost more than all other defenders combined .... I don't know what that has to do with anything.  Would you rather we paid higher amounts for Morelos, Aribo, etc?  I only used the 6.5 figure because that's what TB quoted and let's face it none of us will know what fee was paid.

Divisive?  Really?  Maybe there are different opinions about how good Kent is but that's the same with Goldson, Katic, Morelos, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Flanagan, Tav, Jones, etc.

And when you say "he's only returned the starting 11 to where it was last season" ..... you mean when we went on an extended run of being unbeaten including the games against Celtic?  Excellent!

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Where did you see that? It was only an article I got the 25% from so not an authoritative source but a sell on fee of some kind has been widely reported. 

The Heart and Hand podcast.

I think that the information comes from the local press in Liverpool.

42 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The fees reported have been £7m and £7.5m I haven't heard £6.5m.

See here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ryan-kent-liverpool-transfer-news-16854500

Liverpool will received £6.5m guaranteed, with a further £1m in achievable bonuses.

The club have also negotiated a 20% sell-on clause, regarded an important part of the deal with the Reds believing Kent's potential will see him ultimately return to the Premier League.

44 minutes ago, DMAA said:

There are a lot of positives from this signing and he will give us a boost on the field but a fee like that was always going to cause a bit of concern for some of us given he's a pretty divisive player and has only returned the starting 11 to exactly where it was last season except maybe Aribo stepping in for Kamara ?

24 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Divisive?  Really?  Maybe there are different opinions about how good Kent is but that's the same with Goldson, Katic, Morelos, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Flanagan, Tav, Jones, etc.

Yeah, totally not divisive.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Kent really needs to step up his game this season. A hugely over value transfer fee of £6.5M with add ons and no doubt a massive wage to go with it means there are no longer any excuses for one good performance in 3, he has to nail it 9 out of ten as we are paying for a finished product not a work in progress. 

The signings of Ojo and Barker are completely wasteful now and both need to be released in Jan. 

With Dodoo, Dorrans & Holt all going out the door we have probably broke even with Kent’s wages so we have failed to reduce our wage budget at all in this last month which worries me greatly. 

You're right about the demands placed on him now.  I think he will deliver though.

I think that Ojo will still make a decent contribution.  We are not likely to be in Europe after Christmas but we will still need competition for places.  I'm not so sure about Barker though.  He might end up on loan in January.

The wage bill will take time to deal with.  We will only get it under control if we continue to increase the success rate of transfers and reach the group stages in Europe.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

That didn't take long

spacer.png