The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

33 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

See here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ryan-kent-liverpool-transfer-news-16854500

That's makes sense, both £6.5m and £7.5m are true hence why both figures are being used. 

57 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Would you rather we paid higher amounts for Morelos, Aribo, etc?

Tannochside Bear's point was that it was that we were paying a finished product price for a player who was work in progress last season and he needed to be consistent now. You responded saying essentially you can't get that for £6-7m and I just pointed out that we have up until now. I think the problem is probably that we don't agree on how "inconsistent" or "work in progress" he was in comparison to our other players last season. 

Divisive?  Really?

I'd say so. There aren't many players who you can get such varied opinions on. On the one hand you've got lots of fans who were crying out for us to spend our full budget on him and how we would sell him on for £20m to the EPL. I haven't heard so much exaggeration about a Rangers player before tbh. A good minority have always decried his poor end product and most comments on here from the regulars a month or so ago were along those lines. He's our player now so we move on but I think it's been clear from early on that people have always responded very differently to his contribution. Edit: before I get misinterpreted he is a good player and improves the current team

And when you say "he's only returned the starting 11 to where it was last season" ..... you mean when we went on an extended run of being unbeaten including the games against Celtic?  Excellent!

I hope it's enough. It's the same team with a stronger bench and one good addition to the 11. But we always knew that those 6-7 games couldn't be taken too seriously and we would need more to do the same over the course of a full season. I hope the depth provides that but I'm definitely a bit nervous about it.

Edited by DMAA

Record Sport understands a £2million down payment will be followed by instalments that will take the total fee to £7m with add-ons, an amount second only in club history to the £12m paid for Tore Andre Flo in 2000.

It is also believed Liverpool drove a hard bargain with Ibrox chiefs in terms of potential sell-on fees, with as much as 50 per cent mentioned at one stage of the detailed negotiations should he be sold in the future for more than the buying price.

Rangers stood strong and that figure was dropped significantly.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/inside-ryan-kent-transfer-rangers-19318950

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I'd say so. There aren't many players who you can get such varied opinions on. On the one hand you've got lots of fans who were crying out for us to spend our full budget on him and how we would sell him on for £20m to the EPL. I haven't heard so much exaggeration about a Rangers player before tbh. A good minority have always decried his poor end product and most comments on here from the regulars a month or so ago were along those lines. He's our player now so we move on but I think it's been clear from early on that people have always responded very differently to his contribution.

That's not really divisive though.

Guys like Kenny Miller and Josh Windass were divisive because plenty of supporters actually disliked them.

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

That's not really divisive though.

Guys like Kenny Miller and Josh Windass were divisive because plenty of supporters actually disliked them.

Maybe not the best word

4 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Only one is true.

The additional payments might never happen.

Well they are described as "achieveable" so they are both true in a sense which explains why different fees are being reported

Finally a good bit of PR management for the club, the day after the afternoon before.

Not that I'm suggesting Kent was signed purely because we lost as I'm sure the deal would have happened regardless.

Welcome back Ryan - lets kick on!

Including the likes of Grezda, Murphy and Halliday, we have a first team squad of 27 now.

Kent ... I'll be up in orbit once he kicks a ball again and showns the form he had at the tail end of last season. His position in the side was/is occupied by no less than 4 guys, Jones, Murphy, Barker and Grezda. With Stewart, Ojo, Arfield and Halliday also able to play left midfield-ish.

One may assume that we return to a line-up with Kent on the left and Arfield instead of Aribo in a more central role. Should have tried that on Sunday with Jones on the left, no Aribo but Arfield behind Defoe.

I would assume that the first and second choice list would go like this now ... 4-2-3-1

GK - McGregor + Foderingham, Firth

RB - Tavernier + Polster, Flanagan

CH - Goldson + Edmundson

CH - Katic + Helander

LB - Barisic / Flanagan + Halliday

DM - Jack + Kamara, Polster

DM - Davis + Docherty, Halliday

(Seen too little of King to know where he fits in best)

RW - Ojo + Stewart, Barker, Docherty, Kent

AM - Arfield + Aribo, Kent, Murphy

LW - Kent + Jones, Murphy, Ojo, Stewart, Grezda, Arfield, Barker

ST - Defoe / Morelos + Stewart, Jones, Murphy

Edited by der Berliner

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

GK - McGregor, Foderingham

RB - Tavernier, Polster

CH - Goldson, Edmundson

CH - Katic, Helander

LB - Barisic, Flanagan, Halliday

RCM - Jack, King

CM -  Davis, Kamara 

LCM - Aribo, Docherty

RAM - Arfield, Ojo, Stewart,

LAM - Kent, Jones, Barker, Murphy, Grezda

ST - Defoe, Morelos 

Converted to a 4-3-2-1 it would look like this, I've removed duplicates for clarity and struck out injured players. It's a huge squad. I really thought Grezda would find a move but the only transfer windows still open are Israel and Czech Republic.

Methinks the 4lads chap said that Jones will be out for 4 to 6 weeks. Too bad that he misses the next Northern Ireland games (Germany included, methinks).

Grezda ... wonder what SG will say about him now and whether he'll get another chance. We sure don't need another Lee Wallace scenario till the next window.

Left wing ... imagine Kent kicks on and we have Jones, Barker and Murphy watching on.

MARK ALLEN says the £7million capture of Ryan Kent shows the support of the board and where they want Rangers to be.

The signing of the winger last night brought an end to the summer long transfer saga involving the Light Blues and Liverpool.

Rangers splashed out £3.5million for Bologna defender Filip Helandar earlier in the window but the fee shelled out on Kent dwarfs that.

And the Ibrox director of football believes the magnitude of the deal shows the level of progress being made by Steven Gerrard's side on and off of the pitch.

He told talkSPORT: "We made our intentions very clear right at the start of the window - Ryan was a key target and we got there in the end.

“Liverpool Football Club have been fantastic first and foremost in what they’ve done and helped us try to get this over the line so a lot of credit has to go them for that.

“Ryan enjoyed his time at Rangers and he was obviously keen to come back but the respect enjoyed by both clubs certainly helped us.

“It says a lot for the support and the vision of the board in terms of where it wants to get Rangers to.

"Obviously, like all businesses it needs to be done in a prudent manner.

"And over the last few years, the board and everyone at the club, we've put it back on an even keel with a sensible business approach.

“Obviously on the playing side, European qualification has helped us and we’re now getting to the point where Rangers is in a place where hopefully we can move forward."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4677506/mark-allen-ryan-kent-rangers-vision-support-transfer-news/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1567506185