The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

People writing off Ojo - he was Candeias replacement, never a replacement for Kent. Ojo is strong physically & a better finisher than either.

Jones was probably replacement for Kent. Sunday proved we needed Kent, not just as the performance showed we needed someone to hold the ball in that position but also because of Jones injury. Jones has impressed me, his cross for Morelos last Thursday almost paid for Kent’s transfer fee alone! Arfield was playing in Kent’s position on Sunday..

It was also important for the board to back the manager, as they did Caixinha (though not Warburton). Nobody can blame the board now if it doesn’t work out for SG.

We only have one player on loan now, we had 3 last season & celtic have about 5 this year. Although these can be top players & the cheap option, it does mean you can’t sell them on. Our squad probably has a bigger net value than theirs now, and that probably counts for collateral with the likes of Close brothers. If needed, we could bring in about 50million from Tavernier, Kent, Morelos, Katic, Goldson, Aribo, Ryan Jack..

It seems odd considering neither us or celtic would pay £4.5million for John McGinn last year, however I actually think the Tierney transfer has raised the value (or perceived value) of both clubs players. People scoffed at the idea we had received an £8million bid from China for Morelos last year. Now the starting bid would be 3 times that amount. So it wasn’t a case of why sign Ryan Kent, the question was why not..?

12 minutes ago, 917 said:

Our squad probably has a bigger net value than theirs now, and that probably counts for collateral with the likes of Close brothers. If needed, we could bring in about 50million from Tavernier, Kent, Morelos, Katic, Goldson, Aribo, Ryan Jack..

Not until we win the league and do well in Europe. We haven't even won a cup yet.

14 minutes ago, 917 said:

People writing off Ojo - he was Candeias replacement, never a replacement for Kent. Ojo is strong physically & a better finisher than either.

Jones was probably replacement for Kent. Sunday proved we needed Kent, not just as the performance showed we needed someone to hold the ball in that position but also because of Jones injury. Jones has impressed me, his cross for Morelos last Thursday almost paid for Kent’s transfer fee alone! Arfield was playing in Kent’s position on Sunday..

It was also important for the board to back the manager, as they did Caixinha (though not Warburton). Nobody can blame the board now if it doesn’t work out for SG.

We only have one player on loan now, we had 3 last season & celtic have about 5 this year. Although these can be top players & the cheap option, it does mean you can’t sell them on. Our squad probably has a bigger net value than theirs now, and that probably counts for collateral with the likes of Close brothers. If needed, we could bring in about 50million from Tavernier, Kent, Morelos, Katic, Goldson, Aribo, Ryan Jack..

It seems odd considering neither us or celtic would pay £4.5million for John McGinn last year, however I actually think the Tierney transfer has raised the value (or perceived value) of both clubs players. People scoffed at the idea we had received an £8million bid from China for Morelos last year. Now the starting bid would be 3 times that amount. So it wasn’t a case of why sign Ryan Kent, the question was why not..?

Well put.

We should be talking ourselves up, but also retain some realism.  

All Sunday proves is that players are only as good as their last game in some folk's eyes.   But for me there is plenty to be positive about and you are not even factoring in the likely £1-2m we might recover if we move on the likes of Grezda .  I would also value Kamara significantly higher than the £65k we paid for him, or whatever it was.   Edmundson also has good potential value if he develops

Edited by stewarty

Don't know if this has been answered already, but was there any truth in the Konate rumours in the final hours of the window.

Seen a lot of people mention his name, but nothing more than that, don't imagine we could have parted with another 10 million for a player but I never expected to sign Kent for 7.5 million either

4 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I wish we'd spent the money on another centre forward and a better left back, but I'm in the minority on that I think. 

Kent started last season erratically but finished strongly, let's hope he finds his form quickly. I'm one of those who felt he often flattered to deceive, and whilst exciting to watch he didn't provide a final product often enough. His signing is a gamble, but hopefully one that will pay off. 

My thoughts exactly. Gerrard has shown faith in Flanagan and Barisic here.

5 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I wish we'd spent the money on another centre forward and a better left back, but I'm in the minority on that I think. 

Kent started last season erratically but finished strongly, let's hope he finds his form quickly. I'm one of those who felt he often flattered to deceive, and whilst exciting to watch he didn't provide a final product often enough. His signing is a gamble, but hopefully one that will pay off. 

Agree but we also need to factor in his ability to make a difference in big games, such as vs Them.  

We will know at the end of the season whether this particular gamble pays off.

32 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I can understand the left back point, but I'm surprised at the centre forward one.  We'd end up spending money on a third choice forward in my opinion and that would go against the manager's idea of two per position.  Maybe the left back would help us, but our main problem is not in defence.  It's a lack of cutting edge up front that's our real problem and at least Kent gives us that.