The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

This is what happens when you feed self-importance beans to an idiot.

Seen Mr Stewart yesterday in sainbury's was very tempted to rattle him with our trolley. 

28 minutes ago, compo said:

Seen Mr Stewart yesterday in sainbury's was very tempted to rattle him with our trolley. 

You should be taken to task for refusing a perfectly good opportunity. Next time, don’t fail ?

42 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I can understand the left back point, but I'm surprised at the centre forward one.  We'd end up spending money on a third choice forward in my opinion and that would go against the manager's idea of two per position.  Maybe the left back would help us, but our main problem is not in defence.  It's a lack of cutting edge up front that's our real problem and at least Kent gives us that.

If our main problem is a lack of cutting edge then surely a new striker is a good idea? It's funny whenever I mention a new striker people assume he'll be the 3rd choice, why couldn't we buy a new first or second choice striker? Defoe doesn't have a full season of 90 minutes every week in him at his age, in my opinion, Morelos will pick up suspensions and both could pick up injuries. We'll be playing two games a week until Christmas, we can have all the wingers in the world but if we don't have someone to score the chances we'll be kicking ourselves. Perhaps Gerrard feels Kent or Arfield can play up front. 

Wouldn't it be irony in the extreme if it was Jordan Jones` assist for Alfredo`s goal against Legia that meant us being able to afford Kent due to EL-income ... only for Kent to take up Jones' slot on the left.

Be that as it may, I would SINCERELY hope that we will utilize our squad from now on and actually play folk like Stewart, Barker, Jones et al more often and for longer than 5 mins.  In fact, against the brick-wall brigade, we could go 3 at the back and play Stewart as the 2nd striker.

Current substitution schedule seems to swap the striker from 60 mins onwards, with the rest very much open ... but usually a DM/CM for someone else. 

Edited by der Berliner

6 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

If our main problem is a lack of cutting edge then surely a new striker is a good idea? It's funny whenever I mention a new striker people assume he'll be the 3rd choice, why couldn't we buy a new first or second choice striker? Defoe doesn't have a full season of 90 minutes every week in him at his age, in my opinion, Morelos will pick up suspensions and both could pick up injuries. We'll be playing two games a week until Christmas, we can have all the wingers in the world but if we don't have someone to score the chances we'll be kicking ourselves. Perhaps Gerrard feels Kent or Arfield can play up front. 

It's just that it's possibly the strongest position on the pitch for us with Morelos and Defoe both starting the season scoring freely. Compare that to Jones/Ojo/Barker at LAM, Flanagan/Barisic at LB.

I felt at the beginning of the transfer window that the Kent position would be our priority and after a few league games we still seemed to be lacking a bit of quality there. When Barisic seemed frozen out I thought left back was our new priority but then we found out on Thursday that he was anything but frozen out. 

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Step forward Shinji Okazaki