The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

QPR have signed a young Irish defender from Liverpool. Some of the quotes sound very familiar

Manager Mark Warburton told the club's website he wants Masterson to challenge for a place in the first team.

"He is another player with a lot of potential. I want the pathway for young players to be clear," added Warburton

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Barrie McKay was superb under Warburton, he's able to get the best out of him, that's a good move for QPR and the player. 

Personally I hope it works out for Warburton and all the ex-Rangers players at QPR. For various reasons it didn't work out for Warburton with us, but he got us up playing very watchable football and gave me one of my most enjoyable ever matches that day at Hampden. Good luck to him. 

It's funny how differently we can remember players.  I thought McKay was really good in some games, but most of the time was just a passenger and certainly never appeared to me to put in the effort required.  His inconsistency may however be ok for a club like QPR that isn't expected to get many points each week.  I hope both player and manager do well at QPR though.  MW didn't handle his departure particularly well, but I still liked what he didn't with our style of play and he was a real gent and I'd like to see him become successful.

McKay has real quality and it'd be a shame if he doesn't take full advantage of it.

Warburton took him from being at loan at Raith to a deserved Scotland call-up in next to no time and he was the brightest light in what was an exceptional start to a managers reign.

Todays bounce game with New Saints finished with a 1-0 win (Defoe)

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/gers-beat-tns-in-friendly/

Interesting take from it is the two sides put out for each half and if there are any clues for future team sheets ?

No Morelos, anyone know why ? 

First Half XI: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Edmundson, Barisic, Docherty, Davis, Aribo, Ojo, Defoe, Jones.

Second Half XI: McGregor (Firth 75’), Polster, Flanagan, Katic, Halliday, Kamara, McCrorie, Candeias, Hastie, Stewart, Murphy.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

It's funny how differently we can remember players.  I thought McKay was really good in some games, but most of the time was just a passenger and certainly never appeared to me to put in the effort required.  His inconsistency may however be ok for a club like QPR that isn't expected to get many points each week.  I hope both player and manager do well at QPR though.  MW didn't handle his departure particularly well, but I still liked what he didn't with our style of play and he was a real gent and I'd like to see him become successful.

I think the team let him down. I still recall the video of the chances he created; numerous gilt-edged chances, that no one could put away. I wonder what he'd be like with better quality around him? Defoe, Morelos would stick them away. 

One of the most talented players we've seen in a Ranges shirt in years, for me. I'd have him back in an instant.  

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I think the team let him down. I still recall the video of the chances he created; numerous gilt-edged chances, that no one could put away. I wonder what he'd be like with better quality around him? Defoe, Morelos would stick them away. 

One of the most talented players we've seen in a Ranges shirt in years, for me. I'd have him back in an instant.  

I see him as the opposite of Kent in many ways. He has all the technique in the world, great passing ability and vision. Kent has none of that but everything McKay lacks, work rate and explosive pace. I’ve often used McKay as an example when explaining why I don’t like Kent, I much prefer a technical player who produces (and can pass) even if he doesn’t look interested sometimes. 

3 hours ago, buster. said:

Todays bounce game with New Saints finished with a 1-0 win (Defoe)

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/gers-beat-tns-in-friendly/

Interesting take from it is the two sides put out for each half and if there are any clues for future team sheets ?

No Morelos, anyone know why ? 

First Half XI: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Edmundson, Barisic, Docherty, Davis, Aribo, Ojo, Defoe, Jones.

Second Half XI: McGregor (Firth 75’), Polster, Flanagan, Katic, Halliday, Kamara, McCrorie, Candeias, Hastie, Stewart, Murphy.

He pulled up at the end of the Mansfield game , probably just a precaution 

I have never held any grudges against Warburton. He gave us a memorable Championship winning season following an overall downer of a season the year before. Right from day one of that season he had us excited and on the edge of our seats.

Rangers scored six as Mark Warburton's first competitive match in charge ended with an emphatic Challenge Cup first-round victory over Hibernian.

And of course the unforgettable and unexpected win over the yahoos in the SC semi while we won the Championship with weeks to spare. He had us playing the best football we had in some years at that time which at it's best was a joy to watch.

I feel that Warburton who I think knows how to operate in that league better than he did in Scotland could do a good job at QPR given some time. Time which has become a rare commodity at the higher ends of England's top leagues but which may be granted at a club like QPR. He took unfancied Brentford to a play off place while in his first managerial position and was only in the job around 18 months before taking his second managerial position at Rangers.

QPR might be bracketed as a club who probably have a current main objective no greater than 1, staying in that league, and 2, give us a little excitement. Show potential to be at least in touching distance of a play off spot. I think given some time he's well capable of that and with enough time may even take that final step to the promised land. of the EPL.

To my knowledge Warburton has never said anything disparaging about Rangers despite the fact he clearly had some dispute with the board. So do other ex club employees right now and they're being more vocal about it than Warburton has been yet they're not attracting the same spite Warburton sometimes does.

We can't expect club employees and especially non Scots who didn't grow up following the club to have the same attachment to it that we do. There have been players who grew up supporting the club as fervently as we do then realised the dream of playing for the club but still voluntarily left for more lucrative pastures just like Warburton did and don't attract spite for it.

Trying to get a higher paying job is a major objective of every adult beyond a certain age and especially so in a job that has a relatively very short career span in which to earn as much as possible. We can't fairly criticise anyone doing what most of us likely would in the same circumstances.

I wish Warburton and his gathering ex Rangers contingent at QPR all the best for the season ahead. 

Warburton had half a great season.  The Scottish Cup Final loss relegated the semi final win to a 3rd rate memory and his unwillingness to change tactics or learn from his mistakes, combined with the sneaky way he left, mean he's held in less than high regard by many Bears.

We lost a cup final to a second division Hibs team.  That's disgraceful.  I couldn't care less about what he's up to these days.  Same goes for Barrie McKay.