The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 hours ago, ian1964 said:

It was a very strange decision to leave Candeias out of the EL squad! maybe this is the result of that?. I like the player and will be disappointed if he goes, however we have a strong squad now so some will leave.

We had to name a set number of a certain breed. As SG has said, Candeias played a lot of football and he was seemingly sure that the rest would cope with St. Joseph's. 10-0 on aggregate suggests that. I found Candeias "look at me" gesture after his goal(s) against Marseille somewhat strange, SG too perhaps. We all know what DC can do, these early fixture were there to get the rest and not least the newbies a taste of what it means to be a  Ranger.

Edited by der Berliner

8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Neither Candeias or Kent are good enough in my opinion.  One tries hard but fails at basics and the other only turns up against Celtc.

Agree with that. I said pre-season last season that the attacking positions were the one area we were just still clearly behind Celtic and it was. Both Kent and Candeias needed replaced to take us to the next level. Combined with the formation change I think we’ve achieved that although I still think it’s not our strongest position. 

Edited by DMAA

13 hours ago, Bill said:

If Candeias leaves we’ll need to come up with some other way of covering for Tavernier’s forays forward. Because Candeias’ work rate has been missed whenever he’s been left out. 

I don't think we need to rely on a single player to cover. The 4-3-2-1 is set up to allow our FBs to play high and wide. Yesterday Polster and Halliday spent most of the game on the opponents byline, because they have Aribo and Docherty to cover--the latter, I may add, was phenomenal at covering yesterday. 

9 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Swapping Kent and candeias for ojo and Jones is not a step in the right direction though. It's a huge step back. 

Swapping Kent for Ojo is a step forward. IMO. 

Jones for Candeias is better offensively, but a step back defensively. I don't think that defensive aspect is required with our formation, however.

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think we need to rely on a single player to cover. The 4-3-2-1 is set up to allow our FBs to play high and wide. Yesterday Polster and Halliday spent most of the game on the opponents byline, because they have Aribo and Docherty to cover--the latter, I may add, was phenomenal at covering yesterday. 

A majority of yesterday's game was 4-3-3, rather than 4-3-2-1.

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Swapping Kent for Ojo is a step forward. IMO. 

Jones for Candeias is better offensively, but a step back defensively. I don't think that defensive aspect is required with our formation, however.

It's really swapping Kent for Jones and Candeias for Ojo. Based on performances so far, there's an argument to say Ojo is an upgrade, but I'd much prefer Kent to Jones.