The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

No idea how you can say that about ojo and Jones has 11 goals in his life by the age of 24 so that's patent nonsense. 

Kent didn't have enough of an end-product, for me. Ojo has one goal in one, with a similar ability with the ball.

Re Jones and Candeias, I admit it's a projection, but Candeias had 5 goals and 5 assists in the League last season playing for the top scorers in the league, whereas Jones has 4 goals and 4 assists playing for a side that scores bugger all. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he may be better offensively. He may not be. 

If you're going to bring their total career stats into it, Jones has 45 goals + assists in 193 games ( contributing 0.23 goals per game), whereas Candeias has 96 goals + assists in 384 games (contributing 0.25 goals per game). Candeias is 7 years older.

It's just my opinion. I still love Candeias to bits. 

3 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

No idea how you can say that about ojo and Jones has 11 goals in his life by the age of 24 so that's patent nonsense. 

I do think our fans are overestimating Jones. Doesn’t suit our formation and is a less good version of Kent who I didn’t even like. Like Kent he’s good at winning free kicks, goes down easily. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Jones and Candeias, I admit it's a projection, but Candeias had 5 goals and 5 assists in the League last season playing for the top scorers in the league, whereas Jones has 4 goals and 4 assists playing for a side that scores bugger all

I’m going to stand up for Candeias here. Candeias’s assists are real assists, normally a quality pass or cross. Jones is a very similar player to Kent and the assists Transfermarkt give them are not real assists in my eyes. 

Jones is credited with 4 “assists”. 2 were dives for penalties, 1 was a parried shot, 1 was a shot which was going wide and a defender deflected it in. All are fine but the word “assist” is, well, generous. 

Looking at his 4 goals doesn’t help much either. A mishit cross against Motherwell, a penalty against Hearts, a decent long shot against us but easily McGregor’s lowest point of the season, and an open goal against St Mirren. 

As much I believe we had to move on from Candeias he’s a much better attacking midfielder than Jones. It’s understandable that there is hype over a new signing but Jones is an average attacking mid. He’s all about pace, “directness” and going down easily to win free kicks and penalties. 

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Kent didn't have enough of an end-product, for me. Ojo has one goal in one, with a similar ability with the ball.

Re Jones and Candeias, I admit it's a projection, but Candeias had 5 goals and 5 assists in the League last season playing for the top scorers in the league, whereas Jones has 4 goals and 4 assists playing for a side that scores bugger all. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he may be better offensively. He may not be. 

If you're going to bring their total career stats into it, Jones has 45 goals + assists in 193 games ( contributing 0.23 goals per game), whereas Candeias has 96 goals + assists in 384 games (contributing 0.25 goals per game). Candeias is 7 years older.

It's just my opinion. I still love Candeias to bits. 

What's the split between goals and assists? 

Also where do you get those figures?

I think our wingers have been and are generally pretty average.  But we don't have a target man, in the traditional sense, so I don't think it's a huge issue.

We need to break teams down on the edge of the box and Ojo and Arfield both look good at doing that.  Although I think we need a more central, No.10 style, player still...but I've been saying that since we came up.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Jones is an average attacking mid. He’s all about pace, “directness”

Did we not have someone from St. Johnstone(O'Halleron) who played in this manner and did not last long at us?.

9 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Did we not have someone from St. Johnstone(O'Halleron) who played in this manner and did not last long at us?.

To be fair, I doubt we'll see Jones in amongst the scum support or any of his relatives working at the Paedodome.