The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Me: Barker!? He's rubbish and adds no real qual--

Mate: We beat Celtic to him.

Me: Excellent signing. 

Work with SG or TLB...……………………...easy choice

BTW, I assume that Alfredo is in Denmark with the squad, like last season, a ridiculous timing for the end of a transfer window. Thus, unless a really substantial bid comes in, I would assume he won't go to England today ...

Noted that Barker has not been a hit wherever he went on loan before, but then remembered that the same applied to Kent. SG had him under his wings and after about half a season, we had a player that people want to splash 7m on ...

I would assume SG has not lost his ability.

Edited by der Berliner

56 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

So...Barker, Jones, Murphy, Middleton, Hastie and maybe Stewart. Only Ojo a candidate for the right side. For the first time I am starting to doubt our transfer policy.

Murphy unfortunately won't play for us again, and I'm quite sure Middleton is on loan to attract a buyer because I doubt he's good enough to make our team either.  We may as well then replace these guys that are definitely not good enough, with others who may be.  Hastie and Jones were great acquisitions, even if it's just for the resale value.  I know I'm repeating myself about the problem left side, but we don't have anyone who can play there yet.  I don't mind know this Barker chap, but it looks like he's the type who cuts inside to beat his man.  That's exactly what we need to balance the team and give Barisic the space he needs to get a decent ball in.  I hope he works out.  I was hoping for Kent but not really bothered as long as it's someone similar in style.

Edited by Gaffer

54 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

All our attacking midfielders/wingers/forwards (whatever you want to call them) have some quality that we can use, but none are marquee signings that go straight into the first team. 

Jones has pace, but lacks end-product; Ojo is raw, but has a eye for goal; Stewart's slow, but intelligent and crafty; Murphy can be decent, but he's injured most of the time. 

Barker's more of the same, in that sense. 

I was somewhat impressed when I saw him at Hibs a couple of years ago. It's another option. I'm content. 

I just really wanted a marquee #10 that walks straight into, and improves, the first XI.

My thoughts exactly. 

Barker reminds me a lot of Kent, he absolutely tormented us that night at Easter road but what came of it? Nothing. I have to admit I like him as a player though. I think he has a patchy injury record though 

I remember how many fans didn't rate Windass but have we really improved from him? Kent aside, stock piling is what it looks like, maybe Barker will buck the trend?

Middleton, Hastie, Jones, Murphy, Stewart, Barker

Edited by ian1964

What we probably have to keep in mind is that when people come to a place like Rangers, they will face different challenges with usually better coaching and better players around themselves. Will someone get better coaching than through e.g. SG? As opposed to the standard that goes as managers and coaches elsewhere in the SPFL ... and sometimes EPL?

Thus it is interesting - but not much more - what they did elsewhere. What counts is how they fit in with us and how they develop with us. Hence, as far as I am concerned, they get a clean white sheet and can write their own new CV with us. And in saying that, I was at first not that impressed that Kent was given so much game-time (ahead of the at the time impressive Middleton too), even when he lacked end product and consistency. The latter is also my concern now, at least when it comes to splashing millions. He would have to hit the ground running at the pace he set at the end of last season ... though when playing for Liverpool of late, he was quite good.

Anyway, IMHO, Jones, Stewart and possibly Barker are seen as folk who can get us through the slog that is called Scottish Premiership, when the Ojos and Aribos don`t click.