The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

If he is going out on loan I would prefer him to stay in the SPL at a side which has at least an outside chance of taking something from the yahoos in the odd game. Like Middleton to hibs.

35 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If he is going out on loan I would prefer him to stay in the SPL at a side which has at least an outside chance of taking something from the yahoos in the odd game. Like Middleton to hibs.

Murphy, Hastie and even Dorrans wherever he is would strengthen other teams in the league. They certainly could do with strengthening! 

21 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Murphy, Hastie and even Dorrans wherever he is would strengthen other teams in the league. They certainly could do with strengthening! 

Judging from the transfer activity everything outside us and the yahoos needs help. Outside the top two only 2 clubs in the league have spent anything at all and their total spend went on just one player each. The sheep spent 160K on Funso Ojo while hibs spent 319K on Christian Doidge.

Neither had any incoming fees to offset it. Outside the yahoos we spent more on Edmundson alone than the rest of the league combined.  SPL TRANSFERS 19/20

I think sending players out to other premiership sides is the best course of action - whether they can afford to cover their wages is another thing. They may push the boat out for a Middleton or Hastie, but can’t see players coming back from a long injury spell being worth the risk e.g. Murphy and Dorrans. 

We know that Holt, Dorrans and Grezda don’t have a future - so if we can’t sell them, getting them out on loan to any club, anywhere could help get them get permanent moves, which is better than rotting on the fringes here. 

I think Murphy is finished with us tbh, we have better than him now  - even at his best. Good luck to him though. 

Gerrard said aid he wanted a first team squad of 23 or 24. With the signing of Barker, I make it 25. It will be 24 once Hastie goes out on loan. 

I’m not including the following in the above: 

The players that need to leave permanently or on loan (5) 

Holt, Dorrans, Grezda, Dodoo, Murphy (although some would argue he still has a future) + Those already out on loan (3) Alnwick, Rossiter, Herrera

Then there are the players that are out on loan that have a future with us:

Robbie McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Glen Middleton

Thats not such a bad place to be in, with just the 4 or 5 that need to leave, thought it was worse. 

talkSPORT report that Rangers have identified a possible replacement for skipper, James Tavernier.

The outlet claims he’s likely to leave Ibrox in January, with Crystal Palace one of several clubs interested in the influential right-back.

It’s suggested that should that move happen, Steven Gerrard will turn to Leonel Di Placido as a replacement.

Di Placido, who currently plays for Club Atletico Lanus in the Argentinian Primera Division, is rated at £2.70m by Transfermarkt. However, the report suggests he’ll soon be available for a cut-price £1 million and that the Gers would be keen on an initial loan deal with an option to buy.

Bringing the 25-year-old to Ibrox wouldn’t be straightforward, though. It’s suggested that multiple top-flight European clubs including Espanyol, Leganes and Amiens are also keen on his signature.

Verdict

The English window only closed a matter of days ago, yet a report has already arrived suggesting Tavernier will be picked up by a Premier League club in January.

You’ve got to think this is all very hypothetical. Should Rangers still be in a title race and European competition come January, it’s hard to believe that Tav would leave Ibrox. Steven Gerrard would certainly be extremely keen to hold onto his captain.

As for Di Placido, this is a slightly left-field suggestion in terms of a replacement. So far, he’s only plied his trade in his native Argentina. He started his professional career with All Boys and enjoyed a loan stint at Atletico Tucuman, before moving to Lanus in 2017.

He made 24 league appearances last season, scoring once and registering two assists. That’s a long way from the numbers Tav managed for the Gers.

Di Placido must be doing something right, though. Argentina national team coach, Lionel Scaloni, called him up for a pair of friendlies in September, although he remained on the bench for both games.

Rangers target Argentinian defender Leonel Di Placido - report

4 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

I think sending players out to other premiership sides is the best course of action - whether they can afford to cover their wages is another thing. They may push the boat out for a Middleton or Hastie, but can’t see players coming back from a long injury spell being worth the risk e.g. Murphy and Dorrans. 

We know that Holt, Dorrans and Grezda don’t have a future - so if we can’t sell them, getting them out on loan to any club, anywhere could help get them get permanent moves, which is better than rotting on the fringes here. 

I think Murphy is finished with us tbh, we have better than him now  - even at his best. Good luck to him though. 

Gerrard said aid he wanted a first team squad of 23 or 24. With the signing of Barker, I make it 25. It will be 24 once Hastie goes out on loan. 

I’m not including the following in the above: 

The players that need to leave permanently or on loan (5) 

Holt, Dorrans, Grezda, Dodoo, Murphy (although some would argue he still has a future) + Those already out on loan (3) Alnwick, Rossiter, Herrera

Then there are the players that are out on loan that have a future with us:

Robbie McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Glen Middleton

Thats not such a bad place to be in, with just the 4 or 5 that need to leave, thought it was worse. 

I may be wrong but I dare to say at this moment that Robbie McCrorie will never be a fast value in the Rangers first team. I believe Ross could be.

LEO'S THE MAN

Rangers eyeing Leonel Di Placido as potential James Tavernier replacement

Exclusive
  • Ken Lawrence
  • 12 Aug 2019, 22:28
  • Updated: 12 Aug 2019, 23:39

STEVEN GERRARD is eyeing Argentine right-back Leonel Di Placido as a possible January replacement for skipper James Tavernier.

The Rangers manager is putting contingency plans in place, with English Premier League clubs keeping tabs on £8million-rated Tav.

Lionel Di Placido is a potential target for Rangers
Lionel Di Placido is a potential target for Rangers

Crystal Palace are keen on Di Placido as Roy Hodgson looks for a replacement for Aaron Wan-Bissaka following his £50m move to Manchester United.

And the 25-year-old, who plays for Lanus in Argentina’s Primera Division, is also on the radar of Spanish sides Espanyol and Leganes and French club Amiens.

Di Placido, who has an Italian passport, is understood to want a move to Europe to further his bid to break into the national side.

Argy coach Lionel Scaloni included him in his squad for friendlies with Guatemala and Colombia last year, but he did not play in either game.

He believes moving across the Atlantic would further his chances of being capped.

Di Placido is rated at £1m, but Gers could try to sign him on loan with a view to buying him next summer should Tavernier head south in the next transfer window.