The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Everyone underestimates squad depth. I want to see a deep squad full of the best talent in the league. 

I know what you mean, but I think Liam Kelly has proved that he was good enough to be trusted to be number 2  when he was here but we preferred Jak Alnwick who has no scope for improvement and no sell on value.

We seem to sticking to the same strategy, buy in some older keepers to fill a hole rather than let young players fill in now and again. Surely McCrorie can't be that bad that we'd rather spend 300k-500k a year on a 27-28 year old to warm the bench instead? Is playing the Championship better experience than being number 2 to McGregor? Is that going to prepare him better for stepping up? I'm not convinced.

McCrorie is 21 and he's 6 foot 4, he's not a boy anymore and maybe a taste of first team action would work for him as well as it did for his brother, who only got in after an injury crisis if I remember correctly.

It's the same old debate about how our wage kitty is best split up, for me we should be spending more on our best players (allowing us to sign a better calibre of player) and less on at least some of our squad fillers to allow our young players to actually get through every now and again.

50 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Someone on FF has said that 4LHADs and someone else have said now that Hastie might not be joining. It is also mentioned that his agent is a massive Hooped Horror.

They wrote a transfer speculation blog last week and mentioned that the Hastie deal has all been agreed, but he has other offers and isn't finalised.

I would love us to attract players from France like the Tims have done, we need a connection with a club, everyone of theirs has been a relative success, physical players who cover ground and can play.

7 hours ago, DMAA said:

I was excited by this one, ideal player to have on the bench imo. Very disappointing. 

When the Stewart speculation heightened a couple of days ago and Steve 4Lads mentioned that Hastie wasn't finalized, I started to have my doubts about the later.

If it came down to money then Celtic or teams down south will blow us out of the water. What Celtic have been doing is buy up the better young talent coming through in Scotland and in the case of Scott Allan, they bought him partly to prevent us getting him. They might go for Hastie to stop us getting him as well as getting a guy who is mostly potential but from the little I've seen of him, he could go far in the game.

It might be a controversial opinion but I think we need to be signing players who can improve our first team and command a starting place from day one. I understand the mid to long term logic of signing a Greg Docherty or a Hastie, but we need to be winning the league next season, is Hastie ready to help us do that? I haven't seen enough of him to know, but this window I'd be happier if we were signing experienced professionals rather than promising young players.