The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

It might be a controversial opinion but I think we need to be signing players who can improve our first team and command a starting place from day one. I understand the mid to long term logic of signing a Greg Docherty or a Hastie, but we need to be winning the league next season, is Hastie ready to help us do that? I haven't seen enough of him to know, but this window I'd be happier if we were signing experienced professionals rather than promising young players. 

We need to build a solid base yet we also need to stop 10IAR.

The question is priorities.

It's not impossible to do both but IMO, it's unlikely.

The fixation with 10IAR is potentially very damaging, although you could say that 10IAR would be damaging and a potential tipping point for some of our supports relationship with their Season Ticket.

I'd say best to go for stopping 10IAR if it were next to guaranteed, but it's not.

The real damage would come if we concentrated on the short-term and it didn't work-out.

Hence, I reckon it better to continue building the base and hope we hit an early sweet spot whilst we do.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

We need to build a solid base yet we also need to stop 10IAR.

The question is priorities.

It's not impossible to do both but IMO, it's unlikely.

The fixation with 10IAR is potentially very damaging, although you could say that 10IAR would be damaging and a potential tipping point for some of our supports relationship with their Season Ticket.

I'd say best to go for stopping 10IAR if it were next to guaranteed, but it's not.

The real damage would come if we concentrated on the short-term and it didn't work-out.

Hence, I reckon it better to continue building the base and hope we hit an early sweet spot whilst we do.

I think next season is our real opportunity to win the league. Realistically they've got more money and a better squad to start with, however they either go into next season with Lennon in charge or with a brand new manager, either way that will create some upset in their dressing room. Their players were signed by a different manager, one who largely got the best out of them. Their next manager might not. Either way there's a period of flux, settling in, and getting used to new rules, tactics and so on. 

When Gerrard joined Rangers really the only way was up, we were playing so poorly last season that as long as he showed progress he was going to get the backing of the support. It won't be like that across the city next season. They're a treble winning squad and they'll win at least the double this season, so any stumble or drop in that standard will bring criticism from the support, a drop in attendances and unrest. That's our chance. We've a season under our belts, an okay squad that needs strengthened, if we can get that right we can win the league next season. Their support will turn on their manager and their board if they stumble at all, for all their jubilation at the weekend I know a few who are far from happy with Lennon already. 

I'm not normally a 'short-termist', but this summer I am. If we can win the league we stop their Champion's League money and then they do have a problem, a serious problem. The playing field is level then. 

7 hours ago, JohnMc said:

It might be a controversial opinion but I think we need to be signing players who can improve our first team and command a starting place from day one. I understand the mid to long term logic of signing a Greg Docherty or a Hastie, but we need to be winning the league next season, is Hastie ready to help us do that? I haven't seen enough of him to know, but this window I'd be happier if we were signing experienced professionals rather than promising young players. 

I think we have to otherwise we keep going along without winning the league or even putting serious pressure on till the business end of the season.

Edited by scotjo

On 03/04/2019 at 08:16, JohnMc said:

Spot on, our squad is littered with average players who can come in and do a job where required but are not title-winning starters. We need players to come straight into the first team, improve it, be more consistent, and take us to the title. 

Should be easy enough!

On 01/04/2019 at 13:31, buster. said:

His surname is Allen, not Copperfield.

Quite a few of the 'deadwood' have contracts up until summer 2020. 

I actually only found that out the other day RE the 2020 contracts. Hopefully we can still move some of them on this summer, but my point still stands. 

There is alot of wages going out which are doing nothing for us on the pitch, that has to change. 

We had to bring in a huge number of players last summer, and it was always going to be the case that not all of these were going to be sucessful. I think we got more wrong than right. What we dont need is more squad players. We have a great group of youth players who we need to be able to call upon if injuries/suspensions kick in. We have enough squad players who can still do a job for a game or two here and there, but what we need more than anything is quality first-team starters in the key positions that seem to have always needed attention. If Katic is not to be given the gig, we need a CH that works with Goldson, and of course, we need the creative midfield player to get 10+ goals and 10+ assists that takes a team to the title. The stats for Kent and Candieas in this regard have been very disappointing, and is what our side needs to win the SPFL against the type of teams and formations we play almost every week.

2 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Slightly off topic but I see Cardoso is off to Benfica if reports are to be believed.

Well, good luck to him. For some it works at Rangers, for others it doesn't. With him, I would dare to say that Murty preferred his British recruits a la Bates, no matter how good and bad they played. We'll never know what could have been.