scott brown again

Guest stuarty66

Guest stuarty66

ive been reading all the stuff about scott brown signing for them.my take on it,is that it looks like all the eggs in one basket syndrome.rangers wanted him yes,but at a cost of around 10 million with wages no thanks.seems to me we could strengthen the entire team with that kind of dough.celtic seem to be obsessed with gazumping rangers,at any cost and seem to be throwing money about like confetti.whether its an act of folly remains to be seen,but wee strapon has hardly been prudent in the transfer market,and i would say other areas of his team need major surgery.if walter can add a few more faces of experience,and the youths coming through we should be in decent shape imo.making the right choices will be the key to the season.anyone can spend money,spending it properly shows how good a manager you are.cmon watty bring it on:box:

The biggest part of the reported 12M is wages and are payable over 5 years.

So let´s say he´s there 3 years and gets a transfer to the premiership for 8M.

That would be

4.4M fee + (25,000 p/we x 156 = 3,900,000) = total outlay 8.3M

So IF he´s a success then it´s good business.

I tend to think Peter Liewell et al have been doing these type of sums, before presenting the cheque to Quinn for signing.

Huge pressure on a young player though so it´s not a given that he´ll be the player they hope for.

We, operating (up until now) at the lower end of the transfer market buy cheaply but we end up losing more money due to performance, pay-offs etc.

Elmander is an example, if we´d have bought him last season it´s possible that:-

1. We´d have done better on the field/ PLG would still be there/ on course for better things and a professional club.

2. That we´d have made a profit on the inevitable transfer (sooner or later) of Elmander to a bigger league.

3. Instead, Sebo.....half the price BUT we´re going to lose on him bigstyle.

In the last OF, although arguably a "nothing" game, Fergie, Hemdani and Thomson totally dominated their midfield. Browm comes into stengthen their midfield with Lennon leaving and also possibly Gravesen. I'm not sure that this one signing gives hands the advantage to them in the middle of the park.

In the last OF, although arguably a "nothing" game, Fergie, Hemdani and Thomson totally dominated their midfield. Browm comes into stengthen their midfield with Lennon leaving and also possibly Gravesen. I'm not sure that this one signing gives hands the advantage to them in the middle of the park.

But what it does do, is not only give them more bite and energy in their midfield but it also deprives us of our number one midfield target.

A negative double whammy.

Our midfield needs a box to box player with bite and some speed, as it is there are too many players that are too similar in style, it´s also pedestrian.

Agreed, I said in another thread that I reckon there will not be much between next seasons first pick XI's when both fit. It'll be the strength of squad that might be the telling factor over the whole season and in that area Celtic may be ahead of us.

Agreed, I said in another thread that I reckon there will not be much between next seasons first pick XI's when both fit. It'll be the strength of squad that might be the telling factor over the whole season and in that area Celtic may be ahead of us.

TBH, with the end of the transfer window a long way a way (it�´s not really begun yet), the unpredictability of how new players settle in and the tendency over recent years for favourites at the beginning of the season to dissapoint.....it�´s early for conclusions .

But what it does do, is not only give them more bite and energy in their midfield but it also deprives us of our number one midfield target.

A negative double whammy.

Our midfield needs a box to box player with bite and some speed, as it is there are too many players that are too similar in style, it�´s also pedestrian.

Yep, agree with all that. WOuld have been ideal for our midfield, so we have to look for a different player with a similar style.

Trying to have a positive outlook. :cool:

TBH, with the end of the transfer window a long way a way (it�´s not really begun yet), the unpredictability of how new players settle in and the tendency over recent years for favourites at the beginning of the season to dissapoint.....it�´s early for conclusions .

It was more a prediction than a conclusion but I take your point. It's early days yet, so those who are throwing away their season books etc are jumping the gun a little.

I'll repeat Scott Brown is no world beater and has been transfered for a silly amount. What has he done to merit the same price tag as William Gallas?

He would have fitted nicely into our midfield because we need a creative type player who can fill in on the right. But its no serious loss IMO. There are SURELY better out there for that kinda money.

I can see the chant "What a waste of money" being chanted a few times next season.

I'll repeat Scott Brown is no world beater and has been transfered for a silly amount. What has he done to merit the same price tag as William Gallas?

He would have fitted nicely into our midfield because we need a creative type player who can fill in on the right. But its no serious loss IMO. There are SURELY better out there for that kinda money.

I can see the chant "What a waste of money" being chanted a few times next season.

The price was inflated but good players tend to go for a premium price because there are various clubs interested meaning a higher price.

Basically if we don´t pay over the odds ccasionally then it makes it harder to land the better players.

It could be argued that to pay more sometimes would give you better results on the field and financialy, eg. Sebo/Elmander.

This has to be tied into having a good scouting system, which we have not thus meaning getting our fingers burnt more than we should have over the years.

With SB, a scouting system wasn´t important as he was right under our noses thus reducing risk.

I await the probable foreign alternative to SB with a little trepidation.