‘I’ll forever be proud of you’ – Lee Wallace’s wife Steph hails Rangers hero

Wallace, 31, has made just two appearances under Steven Gerrard this season and is out of contract this summer.

LEE WALLACE’S wife has hailed the ex-Rangers skipper as an “inspiration” and “true professional” as he nears the end of his Ibrox career.

The Gers hero’s missus Steph praised her husband as she responded to an article that insisted the Light Blues should give him “the send-off he deserves instead of treating him as a pariah”.

Wallace, 31, has made just two appearances under Steven Gerrard this season and is out of contract this summer.

Steph wrote: “My inspiration and a true professional - I will forever be proud of you.”

Fans responded to the tweet, praising the full-back who joined Rangers in 2011 and played a pivotal role in their rise through the divisions.

They also slammed their own club over Wallace’s treatment - with Steph liking several of the tweets.

The ex-Hearts star Wallace was stripped of the Gers captaincy - and replaced by James Tavernier - last summer.

@mjh1977 wrote: “Deserves so much better from the club. Disappointed they have treated one of their own like this.

“A club captain in every way abandoned after he gave up so much for us! Shameful! #fanswillremember #legend.”

@jamied28 said: “Disappointed at how he’s been treated. Deserves a good send-off at least.”

@runfa01 added: “Legend, that is one word to describe him. Stayed all through the hard times, that will never ever be forgotten!”

@davidcowan wrote: “It shouldn’t even be open for debate, he deserves it [a send-off] 100 per cent.

“The only thing he doesn’t deserve is the way he’s been treated. A true professional #RangersFamily.”

We told in January that Bristol City were tracking the defender, who has ten Scotland caps.

He’s hardly featured for Rangers since he and Kenny Miller were suspended following an alleged altercation with stand-in boss Graeme Murty after last season’s Scottish Cup semi-final loss to Celtic.

An internal investigation followed, with Wallace suspended and fined four weeks wages.
The duo later won SPFL appeals against the sanctions.

At November’s Rangers AGM, Gerrard denied accusations that the club’s treatment of Wallace had been “disgusting”.

He was quizzed on the issue by an angry shareholder.

The Liverpool icon said: "As the manager of this club, and I have been since June, I came into [a situation with] Lee Wallace.

“He was out injured and had missed 12 months of football.

"I have to pay my respects to Lee in terms of his professionalism while he's been injured and the hard work he's put in trying to get match fit.

"At the moment, to be really candid, he's still part of the plans while he's here but I have better options in that position.

"My relationship with Lee is fine. He trains with us every day and he is working very hard to regain his place in the team. That's where that situation is."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4100165/lee-wallace-rangers-steph-contract-send-off-games-gerrard/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1554799167

Totally agree his treatment has been diabolical for SG to say he has better options amuses me Flanagan will never be the player that Lee was/is and while Halliday has done more than a decent job is not a natural left back.

I sincerely hope that Lee gets a decent club and think that he should be played in one of the remaining home games to allow a good farewell.

I am in no doubt that SG is being manipulated from above in this matter.

It's hard to take sides or offer support when we don't really know what occurred.  Similarly to whatever happened with Barton. 

Apparently both were overly passionate after an Old Firm defeat.  Which on the face of it, I want the players  to be after losing any game nevermind Celtic.

Whatever has occured, it must have been rather significant. Wonder whether SG's hands are tied in this situation and I assume - unless Wallace shows dignity beyond measure - some facts will come out in the future which may not paint certain figures (still) at the club in a good light.

I also agree that we should hand him a sending off, despite this apparent stand-off.

The manager should continue to play the best players until the end of the season.

Lee Wallace doesn't need a 'send-off'. He already has a massive pile of cash for his trouble.

If he does play Wallace, for sentimental reasons, then those who attend will be entitled to a refund.

32 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The manager should continue to play the best players until the end of the season.

Lee Wallace doesn't need a 'send-off'. He already has a massive pile of cash for his trouble.

If he does play Wallace, for sentimental reasons, then those who attend will be entitled to a refund.

I tend to agree with that. I don't believe for a second that he was the best option not being picked for punishment reasons. He was out for 2 years with an injury I guess that paid a price to his fitness. Some even think he was feigning injury.

46 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I'd give him at least part of the last game against Kilmarnock but then aslong as nothing is at stake other than the 3 points, I'd send most of the regular performers who'll still be here come our first European fixture, on summer holidays directly after the Celtic game thinking about adequate R&R prior to the new season.

Edited by buster.

This is a real shame.  He was a very loyal and effective player for us and this one incident has caused a real black mark against his name.  As I understand it though, his removal from the captaincy was definitely warranted, but of course the lack of detail about the incident was always going to result in this confusion.  I wouldn't want it any other way though.  It wouldn't be appropriate for the club or players to comment and the whole saga is better just forgotten now.  I'm sure a few people will have learned lessons from it.  Having said all that, I would hope that the club makes a statement when he leaves which thanks him for his valuable and loyal service.  He deserves that.