I suspect the main parties don't really care about the EU elections. Even if Brexit Party was to clean up, it wouldn't affect sitting MP's and by the time the next general election comes round Brexit will be just another failed enterprise and it will be back to the futility of right v left. I'm all for giving them a political kicking but MEP's are an entirely expendable commodity.

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Reminiscent of Tony Benn sharing a platform with J Enoch Powell

Except they were mainstream party politicians. Farage and Galloway are 'on the fringes' mavericks, in the current climate.

I don't like Farage or Galloway but at least they stand up for themselves. 

Edited by Gonzo79

The point was that, then, left wing Labour icon, and sacred cow, Benn shared a platform with right wing politician and icon Powell (who has a very significant claim to be a maverick, himself), and that, now, we have an ex Labour 'left winger' allying himself with an English Nationalist. 

History repeats itself, although I am unable to distinguish which of the above examples represents 'tragedy', and which 'farce'. 

59 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

The point was that, then, left wing Labour icon, and sacred cow, Benn shared a platform with right wing politician and icon Powell (who has a very significant claim to be a maverick, himself), and that, now, we have an ex Labour 'left winger' allying himself with an English Nationalist. 

History repeats itself, although I am unable to distinguish which of the above examples represents 'tragedy', and which 'farce'. 

When the political system fails, then the game opens up for different views, opportunists, extremists, populists, etc. 

The political system, in terms of representing the interests of the people has been in decline for a longtime and this current situation is a very toxic and confused pressure point that runs parallel to other countries major problems, eg. France.

As far as a campaign line to fit what a lot of people feel...'mainstream politicians aren't listening to you re. Referendum result'... it neatly fits the situation and will go down well. The problem is that those pushing it, don't have the fundamental answers to the fundamental motives of an underlying situation that goes way beyond Brexit. 

Four decades of neoliberalism has captured much of the wealth and political powerbase and wields ever more a tyrannical control over our lives that we are increasingly bereft of ways to change it.

Thing is, it's all over the place,...the EU and Westminster, it's not one or the other.

Contrary to some on here, I think Brexit will eventually happen.

It's more about what exact form it will take.

We live in strange times but we ain't seen nothing much yet................

Edited by buster.

5 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Be honest.

The point of you comment was that 'Enoch Powell' is a synonym for 'bad'.

Surprised you didn't offer a substantial critique instead.