Good Bargain XI

1 minute ago, JohnMc said:

The OP disqualified signings from the Juniors, or him and Sam English would be straight into the side. 

Fair enough !!.....but in mitigation I would say that Russell was signed at a time when there wasn't much in the way of signings from the Juniors. I think he's pretty much the only player since the mid 70's to come from the Juniors and do really well.

That 200 pound fee came at a time when yjere were no Bosmans and we were spending 100,000 on Cooper, 65,000 on Smith.

9 hours ago, JohnMc said:

McGregor came to us straight from a boys club, I'm not sure he qualifies for this team. 

I should have said I meant last summer, second spell. He has been magnificent this season.

10 hours ago, buster. said:

First name that came to mind was Bobby Russell at 200 pounds sterling from Shettleston Harriers IIRC.

Amateur/junior teams were ruled out as he was my first thought.

Does

16 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Another thread reminds us of disappointing players some of whom cost a fair bit of money but we did get one or two players for not a lot of money who did pretty well. Baxter and McMillan the prime examples.

Here’s the team. All money paid or player exchange from senior clubs. No Queens Park graduates or Juniors selected. That’s two different teams.

Does that mean we should exclude Bosmans?

This would count out Rod Wallace, Boumsong, Prso, Gattuso etc.

15 hours ago, buster. said:

Fair enough !!.....but in mitigation I would say that Russell was signed at a time when there wasn't much in the way of signings from the Juniors. I think he's pretty much the only player since the mid 70's to come from the Juniors and do really well.

That 200 pound fee came at a time when yjere were no Bosmans and we were spending 100,000 on Cooper, 65,000 on Smith.

The last one to join us certainly. We famously signed Billy Urquhart from the Highland League the following season, that didn't work out as well as Bobby Russell. I had the pleasure of playing in a charity match with Bobby Russell once, he was still the best player on the pitch and he was about 50! 

Darian MacKinnon of Hamilton came from Junior football. 

Rab Douglas, the former Celtic and Scotland keeper, was signed from the Juniors by Livingston, but he's very much the exception. 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

The last one to join us certainly. We famously signed Billy Urquhart from the Highland League the following season, that didn't work out as well as Bobby Russell. I had the pleasure of playing in a charity match with Bobby Russell once, he was still the best player on the pitch and he was about 50! 

Darian MacKinnon of Hamilton came from Junior football. 

Rab Douglas, the former Celtic and Scotland keeper, was signed from the Juniors by Livingston, but he's very much the exception. 

In the 70's Inverness often featured in a short pre season at the very end of July (this season saw a competitive fixture on the 12th of July) and Urquhart must have shown up well against us. Whilst he didn't do as well as Russell (extremely difficult ask) he certainly did considerably better than a lot of the more recent expensive cast-offs such as Jeffers, Beattie, Ostenstad and the likes....(Viking Stavanger were another habitual pre-season opponent of that era).

Urquhart scored a rasper against us in a friendly and Grieg signed him that evening. I don't remember him playing but my Dad's not the most complimentary about him. I worked with a guy years ago who believed we'd have won the European Cup that season if Derek Johnstone had been fit. We beat Juventus and then PSV Eindhoven and were drawn against West German champions Cologne. We lost 1-0 away and Johnstone failed a late fitness test so Urquhart started, Derek Parlane wasn't fit either and started on the bench. Apparently Urquhart missed a number of good chances and we eventually played out a 1-1 draw. Anyway, it's all if and maybes, but he maintained that if Parlane had started and more importantly Derek Johnstone, we'd have beaten Cologne at home. That would have seen us face Notts Forest in the semi final, an exceptional side but in a 'battle of Britain' type match you'd have given us a good chance. The final was against Malmo of Sweden. Imagine a European Cup final between the champions of Sweden and Scotland, the marketing directors at UEFA would have had a coronary. 

So we started the match with guys signed from Shettleston Juniors and one from Inverness Caley just a few months before. 

Changed days. 

24 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Urquhart scored a rasper against us in a friendly and Grieg signed him that evening. I don't remember him playing but my Dad's not the most complimentary about him. I worked with a guy years ago who believed we'd have won the European Cup that season if Derek Johnstone had been fit. We beat Juventus and then PSV Eindhoven and were drawn against West German champions Cologne. We lost 1-0 away and Johnstone failed a late fitness test so Urquhart started, Derek Parlane wasn't fit either and started on the bench. Apparently Urquhart missed a number of good chances and we eventually played out a 1-1 draw. Anyway, it's all if and maybes, but he maintained that if Parlane had started and more importantly Derek Johnstone, we'd have beaten Cologne at home. That would have seen us face Notts Forest in the semi final, an exceptional side but in a 'battle of Britain' type match you'd have given us a good chance. The final was against Malmo of Sweden. Imagine a European Cup final between the champions of Sweden and Scotland, the marketing directors at UEFA would have had a coronary. 

So we started the match with guys signed from Shettleston Juniors and one from Inverness Caley just a few months before. 

Changed days. 

I remember that European run well. Starting off by listening to a David Francey commentary from Turin !

Coming back to the subject of value, the lad from Shettleston Juniors scored the first ever winner for an away side in European competition at Eindhoven in more than two decades of  trying.. I think we got value for the 200 quid !

Edited by buster.

9 hours ago, buster. said:

I remember that European run well. Starting off by listening to a David Francey commentary from Turin !

Coming back to the subject of value, the lad from Shettleston Juniors scored the first ever winner for an away side in European competition at Eindhoven in more than two decades of  trying.. I think we got value for the 200 quid !

The PSV game in Eindhoven was epic.PSV had never been beaten at home. I could still watch that game on a daily basis.