Extinction Rebellion

Smug middle to upper-middle class folk and a few latter day hippies shambling about stopping the working class getting to their jobs. One of them feeding his face with a plastic fork from a plastic plate - ah well, nice day for a picnic.

Why aren't these people being beaten to a pulp before being carted off to a rehabilitation work camp for a year or two. The Chinese seem to do it so much better.

Amazing how a bunch of wahoos can disrupt a city lot of businesses must be losing money /trade due to their selfish behaviour and what's the London mayor doing looks like next to nothing time to bring in Boris's water cannon. 

I guess it depends on how seriously you think you will be taken.  Sure, targeted protest might get some results but would it have got anything like the amount of focus and attention as it has done? 

Personally I admire that they  have the courage of their convictions and are prepared to stand up and be counted in order to get their message across.    Ultimately their message is that the environment is in a perilous state and requires us to take immediate and drastic action.    Sitting on your hands, playing by the rules and polite societal norms sometimes just doesn't cut it in this case.

The biggest mistake any concerned people can make is to take these protestors more seriously than they deserve - and that's not much.

Far far more has been and will be achieved in terms of climate change by people at Shell, Exxon, VW, Ford, Boeing, Rolls Royce, etc, etc than will ever be by dancing on the streets of London or gluing yourself to someone's house. Oil companies may have been slow and reluctant to come to the environmental table but most now consider themselves energy companies rather than oil companies and are making the level of investment in new energy sources that can actually make a difference.

Disrupting social order and business activity might catch a few headlines but will only hinder the progress being made quietly by people who don't court publicity and who understand that only a healthy economy can afford to navigate the energy transition. Developing fast-charge batteries will do more to arrest emissions than all the protests ever will. Or advancing carbon capture technology. Or more efficient solar cells. 

If they want to exert pressure on political policy they would be targeting China and India. But this is just another leftist fuck-the-west venture, funded no doubt by some very rich people whose interest in environmental protection is non-existent.

What is to say that they haven't done these things already?

What if the vested interests are so great that change is glacially slow and the situation gets worse?

Sooner or later you need to take matters into your own hands and make a stand.  Sure some of their tactics may not get much traction but if it draws the attention of business, politicians, the media and the public, they might argue that this is a success in its own right.

Perhaps its not all just a leftist conspiracy.

Much better to be quiet and let the oil corporations sort out the environment, they've been doing it all around the globe for years.. 

SPILL-jumbo.jpg

nigeriaoilspill.jpg?itok=0yA5Jlik

110314_r20623_g2048.jpg

Edited by buster.

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Sure some of their tactics may not get much traction but if it draws the attention of business, politicians, the media and the public

From what I can see, they are getting more of a negative reaction from the public and the press and that suggests the businessmen and politicians won't be inclined to assist them in their aims.

I was reading about sea pollution recently and over 80% of it comes from rivers in Asia and Africa.  We had our industrial revolution over 100 years ago and now other places are having theirs.  Unless you want Western governments to impose sanctions and trade embargos on the countries responsible, which will have a negative affect on our economy, as well as theirs, I'm not sure what else we can do.

It's a bit of a no-win situation.  We didn't give a shit about the environment when our mills were being flung up, so why should the Chinese, Indians or Nigerians give a shit about it now theirs are being flung up?  I thought most progressive Europeans preferred less 'Western intervention' into far flung places? 

As an aside, isn't it odd how these protests are occurring during the working week.  Don't Quentin and Trixie have jobs to go to?

Edited by Gonzo79

I would agree there is an element of futility, but that doesn't mean I disagree with their efforts, more that I think the vested and short term interests are too great to see any meaningful change that those involved in the last few days will find acceptable.   So I will stick on my prediction hat on to say that the frequency and potentially the ferocity of anti-climate change protests will increase in the coming years.

This in turn will have in impact on governments, business and every day attitudes to environmental issues.  It just wont be enough or quick enough for the more strident campaigners.  

Edited by stewarty