Extinction Rebellion

Some have suggested their demands are wildly ambitious. I think the point is to accept something in between, at least instigating some sort of change. 

I generally don't have time for protesters, but I find myself admiring their efforts.

17 hours ago, stewarty said:

What is to say that they haven't done these things already?

What if the vested interests are so great that change is glacially slow and the situation gets worse?

Sooner or later you need to take matters into your own hands and make a stand.  Sure some of their tactics may not get much traction but if it draws the attention of business, politicians, the media and the public, they might argue that this is a success in its own right.

Perhaps its not all just a leftist conspiracy.

I think it noteworthy that the commercial interests that Bill says "...may have been slow and reluctant to come to the environmental table..." actively promoted and financially supported a long and far reaching campaign to deny something (climate change) they knew was happening (documented),... in the selfish interest of short to medium term profit.

In other words, you can't trust them or the other vested interests because their motives are what is read on the commercial tin and the precedents mostly point in the same direction.

Bottomline

The more people the better that shout loudly about this and it makes perfect sense that the youth of the day are interested in the questionable future we are going to leave them. Just who the F are we, to start preaching to them as to what they can and cannot do, when our generation has managed to destruct on a much, much greater level.

Edited by buster.

I take it Mr Pie wants Gove to impose sanctions on the countries responsible for the majority of the pollution?  Becuse the UK isn't one of them.

We can be like an environmental Team America, putting the world to rights (and putting millions of people in Third World countries out of work).

If we all stop eating meat, how long will it take for the additional cow farts to destroy the Ozone layer?

More power to anyone promoting a sustainable future for humanity and those we share this planet with. Just do it like grown ups. Climate change is one of the challenges we face but it’s far from the only one and it might not even be the most important.

Nothing changes just because some dickhead screams “change” at a tv camera. It changes because an army of technical, financial and governmental people define what’s possible, plan how it could be implemented and create the systems and technologies to affect those changes. Without people with practical skills and knowledge we would have run out of food and succumbed to disease long ago. 

Politicians do need a good kick up the arse to do more, especially those in China, India and much of the developing world. Is disrupting traffic and closing airports the way to do it? From what I’ve seen, these protestors are alienating far more than they’re bringing on board, despite the best efforts of the BBC and others, who clearly see this in the same left-right context as a CND or Brexit protest.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Emma Thompson flew from LA to join the protest, apparently. 

Is it only lower income people they want to stop leaving a carbon footprint? 

Emma Thomson? What would we do without the blessing of Hollywood? 

Thomson claims her generation has failed the next. Actually, it was my generation that failed hers. We allowed them to forget that work comes before thought and to develop a notion that posturing about in the streets is fine. Now the generation following hers is even further from reality. Depressing.