VanguardBears are to join protests against Glasgow City Council

ONE person has been arrested for sectarian breach of the peace after two groups staged protests in Glasgow this morning.

100 people from Protestants Against Discrimination stood outside the City Chambers on George Square to protest against 'discrimination of their culture'.

Riot vans were used to block off roads near George Square Large groups of officers were out in force

There was a heavy police presence with roads around the square closed by officers.

Another march to commemorate the Easter Rising by the West of Scotland Band Alliance was taking place at the same time.

Surrounding streets were locked down until the incident was cleared with officers and vans used to block off roads

Dog units were also present next to George Square.

Rival groups had gathered in the city centre

The planned protest from both groups headed towards the Trongate area of the city leading to a further Police response.

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said:"There was a Scottish Protestant demo between 10 and 20 past 10 with 100 people in attendance.

"At the same time there was a West of Scotland bands protest who marched from India Street street via George Square to the Gallowgate."

"There has been no reports of any disorder but Police are in attendance to ensure that protests run peacefully.

"One person has been arrested for sectarian breach of the peace."

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council previously said: “This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the legislation on public processions.

“There is no such thing as a no-go area for any organisation.

"In reality, a procession passed the site in question earlier this year.

“In the case of the event planned for Easter Sunday, however, our Public Processions Committee heard evidence from Police Scotland that there was a significant potential for serious disorder if the procession went ahead on its intended route.

"This was based on intelligence relating to protests and counter-protests on the day.”

Edited by BEARGER

It's certainly depressing that after the last few years we, as a support, are as splintered as ever.  Nearly as depressing as Rangers fans voting for people who want to break up the UK...but not quite.

15 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's certainly depressing that after the last few years we, as a support, are as splintered as ever.  Nearly as depressing as Rangers fans voting for people who want to break up the UK...but not quite.

You've really just backed up my original assertion tbh.

4 hours ago, BEARGER said:

As I said at the start, these guys seem to think that OO, APOD & Protestants are one in the same. It obvious this is an anti independence campaign nothing less. No go areas in Glasgow for Protestants, what  utter nonsense.

1 hour ago, BEARGER said:

As I said at the start, these guys seem to think that OO, APOD & Protestants are one in the same. It obvious this is an anti independence campaign nothing less. No go areas in Glasgow for Protestants, what  utter nonsense.

Yeah, we get that you think that the statement was badly worded. Rather than be pedantic,why not address the main issue of their complaint? Not everyone is as clever as you. 

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Yeah, we get that you think that the statement was badly worded. Rather than be pedantic,why not address the main issue of their complaint? Not everyone is as clever as you. 

I  wouldn’t waste my time conversing with some. Your wasting your energy BD. I thought it was a fair turnout and representation of the majority feeling on this subject. It’s always hard  to get the ball rolling so well done to them. Those who wish to divide us are best ignored imo.

59 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I  wouldn’t waste my time conversing with some. Your wasting your energy BD. I thought it was a fair turnout and representation of the majority feeling on this subject. It’s always hard  to get the ball rolling so well done to them. Those who wish to divide us are best ignored imo.

Noticed and noted but not given oxygen.