VanguardBears are to join protests against Glasgow City Council

8 hours ago, barca72 said:

Just lifted this from RM who lifted it from an SNP only group.

An agenda you say, all the way to the top ...

image.thumb.png.69e83cff0e5715730a9166061347f440.png

image.thumb.png.a2bc5b5a3e98e2145689c3beacbe5e82.png

This is yet another example of some SNP politicians demonstrating bias, and if this isn't tackled properly by the party then I'd have to agree that there is an agenda against one side of the city.  As you know, I've claimed (based on available evidence) up to now that the SNP as a party is apathetic towards football allegiances in general, never mind Rangers specifically, but this is definitely sinister to mention Rangers here.

I don't know if this is a real briefing or a fake, but if this is real and it isn't rebuked by senior leaders quickly, then there is a seriously concerning agenda.  For me, I don't care about the OO, but I do care about a focus being on one particular type of march (which should be legal like any other celebration or demonstration), and in particular trying to imply that going to a Rangers match as a guest is somehow something to be ashamed of.  This demonstrates a troubled mind set.

Oh dear!!!!  But one thing I agree with Susan Aitken on I say that we should get this out there.  This needs to be exposed as widely as possible to test the SNP leadership.  They have an opportunity to fix this if they choose to.

I've no inside knowledge but the McAveety post is clearly a joke. McAveety is a massive Celtic fan and this isn't any secret, I suspect the post is meant to be funny. 

As for the first post, is anyone really surprised that councillors find Orange parades at best an inconvenience and at worst an embarrassment? That was posted 4 days after the priest was spat on. The media were all over the story and there was genuine revulsion from people like me. It doesn't surprise me that the head of Glasgow council was on a war footing about it. 

43 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I've no inside knowledge but the McAveety post is clearly a joke. McAveety is a massive Celtic fan and this isn't any secret, I suspect the post is meant to be funny. 

It's a joke when a political party who have proven to be anti-Rangers tries to use attending a Rangers game in a negative context? Sorry, but I don't find any humour in it and it's just another attempt by the SNP to paint Rangers as bad.

Edit - it may have been funny if they said something like "Look at McAveety. Thought he was a Celtic fan. Haha." However they are talking of using it against him which is at best sinister and indicative of a larger agenda at play. I honestly fail to see anything humorous in this.

What's really going on here? There are a small number of members who seem to use every opportunity to excuse the detractors of the club we all claim to support and it's as attributable as it's predictable. Why is that?

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

What's really going on here? There are a small number of members who seem to use every opportunity to excuse the detractors of the club we all claim to support and it's as attributable as it's predictable. Why is that?

I haven't read anything that suggests anyone is excusing detractors of the club.  Anything I've read here seems to be straight forward and rational opinions.  I can completely understand how this can be interpreted in a few different ways, but for me its sinister.  I agree with @Bluedell that if this was meant to be funny, it would have been written with a different style and inference.  If the sequence shown is correct and she did send that McAveety post immediately after the OO post, it's attempting to associate these things and they shouldn't.  That was irresponsible but demonstrates an obvious mindset and association she has.  Maybe she's just stupid or doesn't have an ounce of fun/funny in her body.  Either way this is worrying for me.

Edited by Gaffer

Dont see any point in protesting against this council most of the councillors are as thick as the stone walls of the chambers , might be better to try and get some councillors on our side .

Glasgow City Council leader Susan Aitken ‘urged SNP colleagues to smear Celtic-supporting Labour rival’ with snaps of him in Rangers directors’ box

Leaked screengrabs from a private Facebook group for Glasgow's Nats councillors suggest she targeted Frank McAveety - at the height of a public rammy over plans for a 'fanzone' opposite Ibrox.

THE boss of Scotland's biggest council urged her SNP colleagues to smear a Celtic-supporting Labour rival with snaps of him in the Rangers directors’ box, it was claimed last night.

Leaked screengrabs from a private Facebook group for Glasgow's Nats councillors suggest Susan Aitken targeted Frank McAveety - at the height of a public rammy over plans for a 'fanzone' opposite Ibrox.

Ms Aitken had claimed last September that Mr McAveety was "exploiting sectarian division” after he called for transparency over a council knock-back to the plan by Rangers chiefs.

But the leaked Facebook chat - said to be posted around the same time - shows Ms Aitken posted snaps of Mr McAveety at Ibrox and said: “Oh, and if anyone feels getting these nice photos of Frank McAveety enjoying hospitality in the Rangers directors box out there...”

Last night, a council source said: “This is a blatant attempt to smear Frank McAveety to make out his questions about the fanzone row were motivated by him being in with Rangers board.

"The photo was actually taken in December 2015 at a Rangers vs Hibs match in the championship.

"Frank was council leader at the time and had been invited to a match - simple as that.

"That’s what happens when you’re council leader - with both Celtic and Rangers.

"Frank is actually a Celtic fan. This is the lowest, most dirty form of politics from Aitken, and using the Old Firm like this given sectarian tensions in the city is deeply irresponsible.”

Last night, insiders confirmed the Facebook post was genuine.

But a source close to Ms Aitken claimed the message to fellow councillors was a "joke".

Last year, Rangers said last year they had been unfairly refused permission to use council-owned pitches to host entertainment before matches.

The plan for 2,000 fans to be accommodated on council-owned pitches outside Ibrox was rejected - sparking a furious stand-off with Rangers and fan groups and the city's ruling SNP administration.

In September, we told how Ms Aitken publicly blasted Mr McAveety, Labour MSPs Anas Sarwar and Pauline McNeill, and Tory MSP Adam Tomkins after they joined calls for transparency on the council's knockback.

She said: “The role of Frank McAveety, Pauline McNeill, Anas Sarwar, Adam Tomkins in knowingly exploiting sectarian division on this issue can’t be ignored.

“They are responsible for stoking the abuse directed at me, David McDonald and his family and Council officers.

“They bring shame on Glasgow politics.”

Ms Aitken could not be reached last night.

But a source close to the politician said: "This was clearly a joke - as evidenced by the fact no-one actually did anything with the photo."

Tory MSP Adam Tomkins shared the screenshot of the alleged group on Twitter.

He said: "It would appear that in July 2018, at the height of the Fanzone controversy, the SNP leader of Glasgow CC sought to belittle her predecessor (and well know Celtic fan) for attending a Rangers game at Ibrox.

"Can @SusaninLangside confirm?"

He then followed the comment up saying on Twitter: "If this is true, I’m sure I won’t be alone in concluding that Susan Aitken is not fit for the office she holds.

"Stirring sectarian sentiment from the Leader’s Office....really?

"Let’s see what the SNP say about this".

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4183863/glasgow-city-council-leader-susan-aitken-frank-mcaveety-rangers-ibrox-fanzone-storm-smear-facebook-group/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1556617834