The last two dismal performances have highlighted the character in our current squad - or complete lack of it.

People have complained that Walter Smith's return has not exactly resulted in total football, but it has to be said that it would have taken a magician to turn the sow's ear into a silk purse. What Walter has done is turn the offending ear into a reasonably servicable, if scappy looking, leather wallet.

There is definitely some skill in the squad and the odd bit of fight, which has been brought out in them by a man who has instilled a great purpose about "achieving" second place.

It seems the players will play for Walter given enough of a goal, but not when that goal is gone, and they won't play for another man whose goals they don't share.

This to me suggests a lack of intrisic character in these players, and that their motivation does not come from wanting to excel themselves but has too many other complexities.

The trounble is that, we don't have the finances, or even the attraction to bring in another whole new squad but have to make do with these spinless players, and instead augment the team on a limited budget.

So it seems to me that Walter, not only has to look for fit, skillful players, who can fit in the team and adapt to the SPL, he also has to find players who are driven by an inate desire to win. Who also find losing, totally unacceptable and who are willing to expend every last calorie of energy on the pitch to avoid defeat.

With a few changes to the team with these kind of players, this character may rub off on some of the others.

On the positive side, I think Walter recognises this and you can't get more character and professionalism than a player like Weir. What we need are more players with that attitude.

I think players who are not too bad are:

MacGregor

Hutton

Weir

Hemdani

Novo

while the worst are:

Svensson

Ehiogu

Burke

Sionko

Adam

Buffel

Boyd

Although some of them might just be lacking in ability.

The jury is out on Papac and Thomson but I would find it hard to defend them on their depth of character shown so far.

Ferguson has been an enigma and at various times been committed or AWOL. I think he'd pull up his socks a bit if he had a few more highly talented and experienced players around him, whom he can't bully and who show him up when he's poor.

I think it's fair to say, he's been a failure of a captain in the last two years and I would really like to see a new captain brought in, but can't see it happening.

I can't see how Brown would have helped with this aspect so it might be best if his 4.4M fee was spent elsewhere.

Here's hoping that Smith brings in some character and the new goal of winning the league inspires our present insipid lot.

To be fair on Thomson, he was brought in when we had pretty much nothing to play for. 2nd place was always going to be ours when WS steadied the ship while Celtic were walking their way towards the title.

Next season will be his big test.

The problem isnt WS (obviously)... it is lack of desire from the players, or at least some of them - it is painful to watch them pick and choose when to perform (Europe and OF games) and when to be completely inept - and it seems they carry out both scenarios en masse.

Hopefully WS and AM will instill the need to perform AT ALL TIMES at Rangers - and we can get back to humping teams the way we should be.

Won't hold my breath though.

The problem isnt WS (obviously)... it is lack of desire from the players, or at least some of them - it is painful to watch them pick and choose when to perform (Europe and OF games) and when to be completely inept - and it seems they carry out both scenarios en masse.

Hopefully WS and AM will instill the need to perform AT ALL TIMES at Rangers - and we can get back to humping teams the way we should be.

Won't hold my breath though.

Can´t agree

Walter´s team selection / formation at home to Osasuna was the biggest single reason for our elimination.

Can�´t agree

Walter�´s team selection / formation at home to Osasuna was the biggest single reason for our elimination.

You are choosing to highlight one game whilst I am talking in general terms - or are you saying that WS has been the problem why the players have, in the last 2 years, only chosen to play in OF games and Euro matches ?

The rest of the SPL games they haven't shown any desire (generally... there are of course exceptions).

Can�´t agree

Walter�´s team selection / formation at home to Osasuna was the biggest single reason for our elimination.

I think that's more than a bit to blame, but he's also inherited a very weak squad with limited options, particularly in midfield and up front.

You are choosing to highlight one game whilst I am talking in general terms - or are you saying that WS has been the problem why the players have, in the last 2 years, only chosen to play in OF games and Euro matches ?

The rest of the SPL games they haven't shown any desire (generally... there are of course exceptions).

we�´ve only played in 6 (OF/European games).

The 2 OF games, he did well although they weren�´t up for the Ibrox game.

Out of 4 european games there was only 1 success, Hapoel (H). However for me the Osasuna home game having Boyd on his todd, isolated because BF couldn�´t get near him and 2 slow centre-backs play deep so we allowed them to take the iniatative was negligent on WS part.

I think that's more than a bit to blame, but he's also inherited a very weak squad with limited options, particularly in midfield and up front.

Had to go 2 up front if Boyd was to play.

You have to chose formations based on the players available not force fit players into formations.