• Rousseau changed the title to Billy McNeill Dies

As one who remembers McNeill only as Billy McBungle from his second spell as manager, I won’t be joining in with the faux praise of what a legend he was. 

Absolutely disgusting that this horrible disease took an otherwise fit man away from his family and I wish his family comfort as they come to terms with their loss, and what must have been a horrible to watch decline in his health as it took a hold on his life. 

Like all big names in our society, their death creates this industry of mourning, endless tributes, and over the top praise. It is truly nauseating and I have been trying hard to avoid all this endless guff over the last few days.

I was at the funeral of a good friend’s wife last week, with 3 fantastic memorial speeches from her daughter, brother and nephew at a packed out crematorium. No news items, no scarves at the statues, but as big a loss to her family as McNeill’s loss will be to his. IMO we should be far more respectful of the dead and not turn it into this circus it has become. 

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I was at the funeral of a good friend’s wife last week, with 3 fantastic memorial speeches from her daughter, brother and nephew at a packed out crematorium. No news items, no scarves at the statues, but as big a loss to her family as McNeill’s loss will be to his. IMO we should be far more respectful of the dead and not turn it into this circus it has become.

As a member of a bowling club I have been to many funerals of fellow members and members of other clubs and all have been as you describe.

Also I have lost many family and relatives as well as many good friends again services etc. have been as you describe.

As a Rangers fan I have attended memorial games respecting the loss of some of our own,observed respectful silences and expect to do so again as time goes on,as many on here have no doubt done the same and will do again.

We had the outpouring of grief with Davie Cooper and Sandy Jardine to name but two and they were also respected by other teams fans so the attention given to the late Billy McNeill is warranted as he was a great servant to football both club and country.