Paul Murray breaks his Rangers silence as he praises Steven Gerrard's work

12 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

The Rhebel was also more than happy to do Jack Irvine’s bidding during that time, and there were far more negative, false or misleading stories than correct ones. 

Even if if that were true of back then, the commercial agreement between CFC and the Rhebel signed since, coupled with the editorial policy of Rangers - bad,  tims - good, should mean that particular  publication, ran by and for tims, should NEVER be used by our players, officials, Directors or even ex-directors. 

IIRC it was more The Sun that was Irvine's go to rag but they also had Rangers to use as a conduit. Irvine/Green, whilst in and out of Rangers officially declared the Record as an enemy of the club. That went down well with too many of a baying support who were still following the pied piper.

In the real world, newspapers don't tend to take sides for noble reasons, it's mainly about commercial motives.

What I was highlighting was relationships form that include degrees of trust and that was clearly the case with Paul Murray and someone at the DR. For the bigger stories that indirectly came from 'good guys' they tended to be reasonably accurate and yesterdays article seems to have little in the way to get bothered about... (Forlan is the man who knows much more about this).

In the real world, the DR is still read by many Rangers fans and effectively a free advert is a no-brainer.

Your idea of a boycott by our players, officials, Directors or even ex-directors would be counter-productive.

The boycott that hurts and is within the power of all, is simply not consume it.

In the real world, the independent press won't always give you favourable coverage and sensationalist/clickbait publications taking things that bit further.

Nor is it a particularly good idea for everyone to to always get their news about the club from the club.

Edited by buster.

What's more interesting is why Murray decided to air his opinions with the Rhecord. Did he wake up the other day and decide to pick up the phone to do Keech a favour? Has Dave asked him on the qt to chip in for a player and he's politely declined and then thought it best to appraise the fans that no big spend will be happening any time soon? Does he just want everyone to remember that he's still about?

Granted, honourable tabloids are thin on the ground but to go to the Rhecord, home of 'courageous journalism' don't forget, once again??? Deary me...

2 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

What's more interesting is why Murray decided to air his opinions with the Rhecord. Did he wake up the other day and decide to pick up the phone to do Keech a favour? Has Dave asked him on the qt to chip in for a player and he's politely declined and then thought it best to appraise the fans that no big spend will be happening any time soon? Does he just want everyone to remember that he's still about?

Granted, honourable tabloids are thin on the ground but to go to the Rhecord, home of 'courageous journalism' don't forget, once again??? Deary me...

Excellent question.

3 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Think you nailed it there!

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Think you nailed it there!

Respectfully don't think he did.

It reads as a filler article/free advert for Season Ticket's.

My guess is that someone at the club suggested it to PM/DR or perhapssimply DR/KJ to PM.

I very much doubt PM started the ball rolling.

Too many didn't want to listen to PM when he was pointing towards the spivs and now some seem to have a problem with a favourable article towards the club.

Christ knows what they'll think of him if he does something wrong.

Spivs. Harks back to a really depressing period of our recent history. It was hard to know who made you most sick, those accused of spivvery or those hysterically labelling anything that moved as a spiv. There were certainly some fans who rose to prominence on the back of it. ?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I don't have a problem with Paul Murray per se. I have a problem with Paul Murray choosing to effectively grease the palms of people (who actively seek to do us harm) in the name of mutual benefit.

Free advertising at a cost?

Edited by Soulsonic5791

The only paper I buy these days is the racing post but the record gets it bad from our fans but at the same time I don't no one fan of the hooped horrors that has a good word to say about it either xD

1 hour ago, compo said:

The only paper I buy these days is the racing post but the record gets it bad from our fans but at the same time I don't no one fan of the hooped horrors that has a good word to say about it either xD

To be fair the tims are always victims whatever is said. If they win a million pound they will complain about the weight.?

17 hours ago, Bill said:

Spivs. Harks back to a really depressing period of our recent history. It was hard to know who made you most sick, those accused of spivvery or those hysterically labelling anything that moved as a spiv. There were certainly some fans who rose to prominence on the back of it. ?

Some people desperately want to be right even when they are wrong :D 

One of the reasons why so many fell for Green so soon after they had been duped by Whyte was the refusal to take on board any lessons in the short window between them. Very few even wanted to discuss the subject when given circumstances, it was exactly the time they should have at least listened. Some would defend their ignorance by going on a verbal offensive.

@Soulsonic5791 

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I don't have a problem with Paul Murray per se. I have a problem with Paul Murray choosing to effectively grease the palms of people (who actively seek to do us harm) in the name of mutual benefit.

Free advertising at a cost?

Well done for getting the A of D line in :thup: very apt !

I previously mentioned the real world, IMO I think the club have to operate commercially in that real world. That includes indirectly using one of the two most widely read daily Scottish newspapers when it can for what is effectively a free advert in what is the most important sale of the commercial year. The proverbial no-brainer.

Regards the media, it's BBC Scotland where the the club have major issues with, not the DR.

There may well arise problems within relationships with any media outlet but they can't be controlled by the club.

I don't think it a good idea to confront and ban everything that moves as some would have us do.

What that would do is further marginalise us at a complicated and difficult time. 

The more we are marginalised, the easier it becomes for others to kick us and commercially get way with it.

Some say that in-house media at the club should be enough and we can ignore MSM outlets, not a good idea, IMO.

However, the developing scene in fans podcasts give this angle a slightly different look and one that is developing.

It's down to the individual fans out there as to what media they use (within their personal world view)

However, the real world still points to a lot of our fans consuming the Daily Record and commercial/PR decisions have to be made on the back of that.

The irony is that whilst Real World situations are sometimes built on a fabric of lies and such, various little known individuals/groups may actually be more accurate... ie. Real World situations are often built on varying degrees of bullshit but it's still Real World (eg. a lot of what underpins geopolitics).

Edited by buster.