From Youth Cup Final To The First Team

Tomorrow night will be my 17th Youth Cup Final - by a remarkable coincidence Rangers have featured in all those finals. 

67 players who featured in those finals have went on to play in Rangers first team - how many can you name ?

8 hours ago, elfideldo said:

Tomorrow night will be my 17th Youth Cup Final - by a remarkable coincidence Rangers have featured in all those finals. 

67 players who featured in those finals have went on to play in Rangers first team - how many can you name ?

If I get ten I'll be happy.  Here goes:

Allan McGregor

Alan Hutton

Danny Wilson

Jamie Ness

Chris Burke

Charlie Adam (He stood out a mile when I watched him at youth level)

Ross McCormick

Ross McCrorie

Myles Beerman (always liked watching him at youth level)

Glenn Middleton

Serge Atayaki

Barry McKay

Lewis McLeod

John Fleck

Gregg Wylde

Ryan Hardie

Andy Little

That's 17 and I'm now struggling for more.  67?  I can't think who I'm missing, never mind a further 50!!!!

p.s.  That's some commitment in going to all those games and I applaud you for that.

2 hours ago, Gaffer said:

If I get ten I'll be happy.  Here goes:

Allan McGregor

Alan Hutton

Danny Wilson

Jamie Ness

Chris Burke

Charlie Adam (He stood out a mile when I watched him at youth level)

Ross McCormick

Ross McCrorie

Myles Beerman (always liked watching him at youth level)

Glenn Middleton

Serge Atayaki

Barry McKay

Lewis McLeod

John Fleck

Gregg Wylde

Ryan Hardie

Andy Little

That's 17 and I'm now struggling for more.  67?  I can't think who I'm missing, never mind a further 50!!!!

p.s.  That's some commitment in going to all those games and I applaud you for that.

Most are correct but not McGregor, Beerman and surprisingly Lewis McLeod.

Some played in more than one final and I miscounted I think there are 69,

David McFarlane, Hugh Burns, Ian Durrant, Robert Fleck, Scott Nisbet, Neil Caldwell, Charlie Miller, Greg Shileds, Craig Moore, Scott Wilson, Brian McGinty, Steven Boyack, Barry Ferguson, Paul McKnight, Maurice Ross, Mark Brown, Bob Malcolm, David Graham, Darren Fitzgerald, Andy Dowie, Stephen Hughes, Daryll Duffy, Alan Hutton, Steven Smith, Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Tom Brighton, Lee Robinson, Jordan McMillan, Gary McKenzie, Ross McCormack, Bob Davidson, Bajram Fetai, Scott Gallagher, Ross Perry, John Fleck, Andrew Shinnie, Stevie Lennon, Dean Furman, Andy Little, Jamie Ness, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Kyle Hutton, Darren Cole, Gregg Wylde, Danny Wilson, Kal Naismith, Kane Hemmings, Rhys McCabe, Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Andy Mitchell, Luca Gasparotto, Danny Stoney, Charlie Telfer, Andy Murdoch, Callum Gallagher, Barrie Mackay, Fraser Aird, Ryan Hardie, Ross McCrorie, Tom Walsh, Jordan Houston, Aidan Wilson, Jamie Barjonas, Serge Atakayi, Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley.

And I have probably missed somebody.

Interesting list !

Thanks

Not enough of those players went on to contribute in a significant way to our first team and we can only hope that in the future, the % increases. 

Two of few who would have a career that saw seven/eight figure transfer deals (McCormack and Adam) but the millions didn't go to Rangers.

Edited by buster.

3 hours ago, elfideldo said:

Most are correct but not McGregor, Beerman and surprisingly Lewis McLeod.

Some played in more than one final and I miscounted I think there are 69,

David McFarlane, Hugh Burns, Ian Durrant, Robert Fleck, Scott Nisbet, Neil Caldwell, Charlie Miller, Greg Shileds, Craig Moore, Scott Wilson, Brian McGinty, Steven Boyack, Barry Ferguson, Paul McKnight, Maurice Ross, Mark Brown, Bob Malcolm, David Graham, Darren Fitzgerald, Andy Dowie, Stephen Hughes, Daryll Duffy, Alan Hutton, Steven Smith, Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Tom Brighton, Lee Robinson, Jordan McMillan, Gary McKenzie, Ross McCormack, Bob Davidson, Bajram Fetai, Scott Gallagher, Ross Perry, John Fleck, Andrew Shinnie, Stevie Lennon, Dean Furman, Andy Little, Jamie Ness, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Kyle Hutton, Darren Cole, Gregg Wylde, Danny Wilson, Kal Naismith, Kane Hemmings, Rhys McCabe, Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Andy Mitchell, Luca Gasparotto, Danny Stoney, Charlie Telfer, Andy Murdoch, Callum Gallagher, Barrie Mackay, Fraser Aird, Ryan Hardie, Ross McCrorie, Tom Walsh, Jordan Houston, Aidan Wilson, Jamie Barjonas, Serge Atakayi, Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley.

And I have probably missed somebody.

Thanks for that.  Age is clearly catching up with me because not only did I forget most of them, I've clearly mistaken Beerman in one of those finals for someone else.  As Buster said though, it's not been a good enough return.  I listened to Kevin Thomson on the H&H podcast recently and there was enough from him even in that interview to suggest we are on the right track now.

I'd suggest everyone listens to it, but one thing he said was that one key reason that players fail to take the obvious talents to the next stage and break into the first team is because the challenge fades, or words to that effect.  He said he tries to keep making it tough for the boys so they must always strive to be better because there's no point in the old ways of playing other youth teams in the league when you're beating them 6,7,8 nil each week.  I suppose the challenge with having someone like KT in charge is that he may think that the boys thought the same way he did.  Unfortunately, very few kids appear to have the same attitude that a winner like KT has, but we can only hope he either manages to install that in the players, or recognise those who don't think like him, and kick them out.

p.s.  I was also reflecting on the quality of the content available about our club these days.  Perhaps due to the awful and biased reporting our supporters have filled that reporting vacuum.  Now we have arguably the best sources of information on our club available.  We now have no need for the MSM and that's got to be the way of the future.  Our own podcast, 4Lads, H&H, CJNovo, etc are all excellently produced and presented, and coupled with the other content in supporters' articles, blogs, etc, we remain very well informed.

4 of our youth players also played in a closed doors game with the first team on Monday night against Liverpool (was primarily for players who haven’t had much game time recently).

The players were Josh McPake, Dapo Mebude, Danny Finlayson and Kai Kennedy.

And I’ve been reliably informed that “they all did great”.

58 minutes ago, elfideldo said:

The same Hugh Burns

Did the youth cup get stopped for a few years , surprised McSwegan , Morrow , Spencer ,Sandy Robertson never played , or were those years we didn’t get to the finals